Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 1:59pm

If a 3rd generation Australian of Chinese heritage believed that its in Australia’s best interest to be overwhelmed by a totalitarian dictatorship which has no regard for human life or suffering and who would enslave Australians then I would have no problem making them feel uncomfortable.

I wouldn’t give a fig what the colour of their skin or their ancestry was....they are a traitor and they don’t belong in our society.

I make you feel uncomfortable when you suggest that the overthrow of Australian society by China wouldn’t be a negative. Why would a Chinese Australian be treated differently ?

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:01pm

Sure, there's a whole heap of bullshit on here, as well as a huge array of differing opinions. Makes for entertaining reading for the most part, and makes you stop and think.
I only jumped in because the last little bit did read like it could be construed as encouraging racism towards ethnically chinese. Maybe just due to your choice of words (us/them type language when talking about chinese people, seemingly conflating chinese ethnicity with being part of the CCP) rather than being your actual intention.
You could make more effort, as Stu said, to differentiate between chinese-looking people and the CCP organisation, while still making the same points you're trying to make r.e the threat the organistion poses, which I agree are valid.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:12pm

Look ....I’ll say China , CCP and Chinese ( referring to the nation , not the people) and there is not one inferral anywhere that I am describing individual Chinese people within China .....except for members of the CCP.

Sowing the confusion on this is actually a widely recognised CCP tactic. The Chinese government knows that racism is abhorred in the West and they treat this as a weakness and use it against us.

That’s why I deplore the dimwits on here using the same technique.

Remember when China didn’t want Australia to close our borders and prevent ourselves being infected by their virus ? The first thing they did was cry racism. It’s employed so often that it’s not really worth empowering by engaging.

Notice that the Chinese did not consider it racist when they closed their borders to stop the spread of virus ?

China does not care about racism. They find that the West hesitates if they portray them Chinese as victims.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:22pm

I should clarify my post above too in when I stated the Chinese- what I mean is the CCP not Chinese people themselves. If it's possible I'm in both camps, I'm dismayed at just how far we've come to be reliant on China and how they (state backed Chinese companies) can own huge percentages of Australian industry and especially essential industries like energy, ports, transport, mining and agriculture and to a degree, services. While in turn no individual Australian or Australian entity can have access to the same within their country. When I studied business maybe I was naively taught that the key to having a successful business relationship was one that was reciprocal, one that was mutually beneficial and one that was built on goodwil. For the last 30 odd years doing business with the CCP really only involved one aspect out of the three and when Australia has been brought to a point where they are beginning to question even that, for want of a better term the mouthpieces of the CCP resort to thinly vieled threats to almost outright blackmail.

Having said that, I totally agree we must be cognizant of the division that this could cause, especially to the thousands of migrants who've made Australia their home. There is an element of society that cannot distinguish between the person and the state. I'm conscious of it when I bring my wife home. Thankfully she's experienced nothing but arms open wide but on the flipside I've been with other Asian friends who've received not necessarily violence but low level abuse based purely on their appearance.

Again, tapping away on my phone it's hard for me to express what I'm trying to say- I fully agree with most of what Blowy is trying to say and I respect it too because I believe his anger is borne out of his love for his country but I have to respect BB too for his love of his fellow man.

For me though, I think the time has come to slowly reassess our relationship with our largest trading partner and rebuild our business relationship through mutual benefit and reciprocity, not through aquiescense.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:24pm

Zen, I reckon we're on the same page.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:25pm

"...there is not one inferral anywhere that I am describing individual Chinese people within China " but you have repeatedly justified a cowardly attack on people going about their daily business many of whom were likely to be Australian citizens. You refuse to admit that supporting a criminal assault based on the Asian appearance of those victims is racist. You,and those like you, are enablers. You blow the dog whistle and encourage racists to get out there and make life unpleasant for anyone of Asian appearance. And yep, since that includes my wife, this is personal. I find your attitudes abhorrent, inexcusable and fundamentally against the values of tolerance and acceptance that the vast majority of Australians consider to be a core part of our identity. Un-Australian? Why not? Sounds right to me.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:37pm

Totally agree , Zen.

The thing is , whilst I think that it’s a pig ignorant thing to consider when a country starts selling its land and infrastructure to foreigners, i don’t even resent China for this beyond the despise I hold for all foreign holders of Australian property.

The part that is galling is that whilst an American, Ecuadorian , French or Korean company may own property, this always remains a private transaction which is subject to possible repatriation within the course of any commercial transfer.

But when Chinese companies buy Australian real estate , that part of Australia effectively becomes a Chinese territory as all Chinese companies are part of the state and the state will never relinquish ownership.

A dairy farm sold to a Chinese company will be a part of China in perpetuity. Until Australia renationalises that dairy farm , Australia will never again have access to the land or it’s produce . This is an unacceptable situation.

Other companies are driven by financial advantage , Chinese companies are an arm of the Chinese government which will never consider anything but the provision of Chinese essentials.

I don’t begrudge them this prerogative, but fucked if I’m going to happily accept Australia’s limited resources being permanently ceded to another nation .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:48pm

Sorry , Blindboy.

The protester with the whip was not commiting a racially motivated assault. He was staging a legitimate protest at a national consul.

Therefore , by condoning his actions I am not inherently condoning a racially based assault.

That is not something I would ever do. I’ll say it again so that there is not opportunity for confusion or wilful misinterpretation : I would never condone a racially motivated assault.

You are adding 3 and 3 and coming up with 7.

If you want to start creating a false narrative that I’m insulting your wife based on her race then I think it’s time you logged off for the day as you’re starting to say things which are not just untrue , but completely out of character for myself and which is not much dissimilar to falsely accusing me of any other crime.

You wouldnt expect to come on Swellnet and say I’m a paedophile and get away with it , don’t expect any better reception when you come on here and publicly claim that I’d incite racial hatred against your wife because she is Japanese.

You’re a bee’s dick away from disgracing yourself.

And that’s putting it politely.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:53pm

"The protester with the whip was not commiting a racially motivated assault. He was staging a legitimate protest at a national consul." No that is another lie as demonstrated by the fact that he was arrested.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 3:11pm

What was the charge ? Did the charge specify racism was involved ? Until you prove otherwise we will have to accept that you are lying to suit your preferred narrative.....which is just lying.

Not forgetting that the very point of this conversation is the untoward influence of the Chinese government into Australian life . No doubt the arrest was politically motivated.

Just like the young fella at University of Queensland who dared let himself be assaulted by several Chinese nationals at a Pro Hong Kong rally. The Chinese consul then applauded the Chinese students physically assaulting an Australian resident practicing free speech in Australia by describing it as a “ spontaneous display of patriotism “. The Australian student is now facing expulsion from the university at the behest of the Chinese consul.

Perhaps the young Australian should move to Japan to escape the threat of racially motivated assault? It’s not clear if the assaulted Australian suffered any heart problems incurred as a result of the stress.

Please, Blindboy. This constant insulting is wearing thin . I’ve said that I dont condone racial assault. That’s the end of the issue. If you want to believe otherwise then go ahead but please dont keep defaming me on Swellnet. It gives me chest pains.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 3:26pm

“The 55-year-old man was charged with attempt stalk/intimidate intend fear of harm and armed with intent commit indictable offence.” This related to his actions towards the consulate , nothing more. No charges of assault as the people who just happened to be standing outside the convolute were not assaulted....obviously.

Nothing about race.

Best you shut your lips now , mate.

PS .....Zen...Blindboy is not overwrought with “ love for fellow man “. He’s an Australian hating bigot.

If he really cared about racism he’d be apoplectic with rage over the treatment of the young student in Queensland who was publicly and violently assaulted by Chinese students. None of the Chinese students were ever approached by police despite the entire incident being caught on camera.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-23/drew-pavlou-facing-expulsion-from...

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 3:23pm

Believe what you like. It's a serious charge.

114 Being armed with intent to commit indictable offence

(1) Any person who--
(a) is armed with any weapon, or instrument, with intent to commit an indictable offence,
(b) has in his or her possession, without lawful excuse, any implement of housebreaking or safebreaking, or any implement capable of being used to enter or drive or enter and drive a conveyance,
(c) has his or her face blackened or otherwise disguised, or has in his or her possession the means of blacking or otherwise disguising his or her face, with intent to commit an indictable offence,
(d) enters or remains in or upon any part of a building or any land occupied or used in connection therewith with intent to commit an indictable offence in or upon the building,
shall be liable to imprisonment for seven years.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 3:32pm

Nothing to do with race. No racial assault. No assault on the spectators outside the consul.

And my encouragement of his appropriate protest against the CCP has sprouted into all kinds of filthy accusations and hysteria by yourself.

I’ve tried to be kind but it doesn’t seem to get anywhere. You’ve been proven wrong and rather than meekly retire , you’re doubling down with flagrant stupidity and insult.

Have a cup of Horlicks and put yourself to bed old man.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 3:31pm

....and just to be clear, the fact that he was not charged under the Racial Vilification Act does not mean he was not racially motivated and as with any criminal investigation further charges could be laid. Looks like he cleared out his Facebook account.......

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 3:36pm

"Have a cup of Horlicks and put yourself to bed old man." Ha ha you big brave strong fellow threatening a weakling like me with violence (now be good and don't do it again) Better watch out I'm pretty quick with my walking stick...well actually it's more like an assassains mace. Stay off the gear sonny boy and you'll feel a lot better.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 3:42pm

Oh ...that old chestnut again ?

Just cause someone isn’t charged with an offence doesn’t mean they’re not guilty. Got to love the authoritarian’s determination to ignore the law in their pursuit of convicting the innocent if it suits their purpose.

Seriously, Laurie ....you are starting to sound deranged.

You think I just threatened you with violence ?

OK...I’m out. I’ll leave you to fondle your wrinkly old “ Assassin”s mace”.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 4:16pm

Interesting and very relevant.

Except of course for the part about the ALP, as sadly, they are no longer relevant .

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/04/new-labor-china-apologist-sets-...

The stated timelines in Australia’s resilience to shortages during an international crisis are eye watering.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 4:12pm

@Zen. Love your work mate, couldn't agree more.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 4:29pm

" You think I just threatened you with violence ?"

Well I got that impression and I believe Stu did too because I am pretty sure he removed the post. But maybe we were wrong and you were just going to drop by for a chat and a bit of advice on the local surf spots.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:17pm

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 4:45pm

Prove it. I can’t see it!

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 4:47pm

Blowin, reel it in cobba. Geez!

I agree with the basic premise of most of what you're saying, but you're so far down the conspiracy rabbit hole I don't think you've got much of a grasp left of what is and isn't true.

And talking about 'cajoling , offending , insulting and falsely accusing' geez, pot & kettle much?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 4:54pm

Sorry Blowin, I have had no contact with Stu other than what has appeared here since I ran into him at a local beach in the middle of last winter. Probably July.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:16pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:01pm

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:01pm

So put it up then if it wasn't edited or removed. I was apologising for your disappointment at the accusation that I had contacted Stu was false.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:16pm

Not engaging in this rubbish.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:15pm

You know exactly what I am talking about....
"Post is still there , unedited ....not a hint of violence or threat"

That one. If your claim is true let's see it.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:19pm

"Anyone who uses the issue as a cloak to disguise racial agendas should be outed immediately lest their white-anting brings us all down."

BLOW IN, EVER SINCE HE BLEW IN YEARS AGO, AND BEGAN TO GET 'POLITICAL', HAS BEEN FLYING THE BOG-STANDARD BIGOT FLAG 24 FUCKEN 7. NOT JUST THIS LATEST ALL-IN RE: CHINA, BUT REGARDING ALL ETHNICITIES THAT FALL UNDER HIS PARTICULAR RUBRIC OF 'MULTICULTURALISM', OR "FUCKING VIBRANT SCUM" AS HE SO NAKEDLY PUT IT.

Well, Stu?

'Light being the best disinfectant' cutting it?

Maybe you need to ingest it, as Trump suggested, and then see what happens?!

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:22pm

I’ll tell you what I see we all have in common here

We have a problem with the CCP, and something needs to change to address it

I also suspect in 2020 the whole world is coming to similar conclusions. The first step to fixing any problem is acknowledging you have a problem.
We are on our way already I reckon

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:24pm

Well said , Shoredump.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:26pm

No I thought not. Not game to post it where it can be seen eh?

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:32pm

Agree Pupkin. The claim that it is too difficult to moderate doesn't fly anymore. The offensive material stays up complete with the lies, paranoia and support for criminal actions. All very libertarian but totally counter-productive to rational discussion. Ben continually claims that the forums contribute very little to the bottom line so presumably there is some commitment to providing a space for this type of material. We went through the same thing years ago with climate denial.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:39pm

Zen & Shoredump, intuitive posts.

Sydney Morning Herald opinion piece in similar vein:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-can-t-return-to-business-as-usual-wit...

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:43pm

An Interesting article:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/china-starts-major-trial-o...

"Xu Yuan, associate professor at Peking University’s national development research institute, told broadcaster CCTV that because cash transactions were offline and transaction data from existing payment platforms was scattered, the central bank was unable to monitor cash flow in real time.

“Although there is little change from the perspective of user use, from the perspective of central bank supervision, future forms of finance, payment, business and social governance etc, this is the biggest thing ever.”"

Sends a chill down my spine that does, this sort of thing ever makes it to our shores I'll be off into the bush to cultivate a particularly wild beard, lose my grasp of the English language and surf until my feet turn green.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:57pm

I don't think its fair to paint Blowin as racist, i dont think he is anti Chinese as in people, i think he is anti Chinese as in government and pressure on Australia buying up farmers etc, there is a difference.

But like Zen pointed out

"Having said that, I totally agree we must be cognizant of the division that this could cause, especially to the thousands of migrants who've made Australia their home. There is an element of society that cannot distinguish between the person and the state"

Ive already seen this with one of my Singaporean friends here in Aus who has been racially abused by a stranger in public (rant style) because of the virus, i was a surprised because to be honest i don't even really think of her as being Asian i just think of her as an Aussie she diest even have a strong asian appearance (i think one of her parents is from UK) and she came here when super young so has no accent and no cultural type links/practises.

Was in Tassie though so not as multicultural down there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:00pm

There's a broadcaster in China called CCTV?

Really..?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm

...well that's a bit rude ain't it?

backdooring a press conference so you can continue to push your lies and deceit

it's always us that must be 'polite'

always us accomodating

then look what these cunts get up to... they treat us with sheer contempt

I thought the twigster was alright, not good, just a rare business guy alright...

but nah, he's a fuckstick

no respect from either of them, health minister should have walked out

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/chinese-consul-general-crashes-h...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:09pm

If China (the machine) think they don't need us or that we're an annoying piece of gum that needs to be scraped from your shoe with a stone, to paraphrase, they may like to think again. Sure, they may try and buy iron ore and coal from Brazil, or beef from Argentina, but their most resource rich, politically stable, reliable customer just happens to be in the neighborhood. It's the tyranny of distance.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:14pm

We are conflating the concept of racial discrimination with the concept of national sovereignty in this thread.

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:15pm

Time to tame the beast.Quit prostituting native natural resources and then see who needs what when?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:17pm

We certainly are VJ.
It's bloody painful.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:34pm

A great strength of the West has been its meritocracy, pursuit of excellence, and acceptance of people of all backgrounds - and these are still intact today . This is a pillar of its strength, along with the freedoms that allow critical review of concepts, ideas and ideologies - obtaining truths that lead to better future outcomes.

Further, national sovereignty is coming back into vogue as the result of a realisation of truth in the West; globalism has peaked. I tend to take the time to read Nouriel Roubini (after he predicted the 2008 credit bubble in the US...) and here we have his latest:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/greater-depression-covid19-...

"This points to the sixth major factor: de-globalization. The pandemic is accelerating trends toward balkanization and fragmentation that were already well underway. The United States and China will decouple faster, and most countries will respond by adopting still more protectionist policies to shield domestic firms and workers from global disruptions. The post-pandemic world will be marked by tighter restrictions on the movement of goods, services, capital, labor, technology, data, and information. This is already happening in the pharmaceutical, medical-equipment, and food sectors, where governments are imposing export restrictions and other protectionist measures in response to the crisis."

This is the large, macro trend, as distinct from social reporting and trends.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:53pm

interesting read VJ

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:55pm

More reporting:

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/chinas-economy-suffers-its-first-co...

I'm expecting similar numbers once quarterly reports are in.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 6:57pm

Yep FR, honestly it's a great time to launch businesses building things that people find useful, here at home - prepare for coming out of lockdown into a different economy. You could do so well with the fishing/gardening knowledge... In the family we have a great lure maker, for example...

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 7:07pm

"Australia plans to expand screening for the coronavirus after securing 10 million more test kits on Wednesday, a measure officials said is key to sustaining low transmission rates and allowing restrictions on social movement to be eased."

And where did those kits get sourced from and by who? (Hint: It wasn't our government)

The kits were secured from China by Fortescue Metals Group founder Andrew Forrest, who sold them to the government at cost price of A$320 million ($209.18 million).

Good governance or Utopia-esque rort?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-australia/australi...

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 7:38pm

"There is an element of society that cannot distinguish between the person and the state".Especially when they are fed nonsense from "reliable sources"Now please how can a person commentating a on a surf based website be so enabled and so in tune with what real Australia is thinking and what "We" all should be doing towards "The yellow peril"it comes across to me as nutty and not in a comedic way.I will say it again being a surfer you would think or hope that the majority would be switched on and show some empathy.What is the agenda how far must we go to appease this way of thinking Blow in because I can not see myself jumping aboard anytime soon.