Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:19pm

Btw, i'm forever cleaning up the land in front of my house which is a known littering/dumping spot. Yesterday saw a box under a tree and thought to myself i'll get that in the morning. Luckily last night didn't rain and it was pretty mild- walking the dog, walked in looked in the box, some fucker had dumped five barely alive kittens. Brought them home and wrapped them in the little electric blanket our cats like then managed to get in touch with a chick that rescues animals. Drove them to her place an hour away and she has no room but in turn she's driving them to another place about three hours away. I gave her some money to cover her lunch, fuel and tolls.

I don't know how people can do that.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:22pm

Yeh we might spend some time in Japan when this is all over. Aya is really frustrated as she had a trip lined up for the Olympics and some volunteer work. I have only ever done a couple of weeks at a time so a longer spell would be good. Miyazaki or Amami would do me.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:28pm

Pops haha

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:29pm

Awww...

BB- you should check out Tohoku area, only 3% of tourists come here. Good waves, food, people and hardly any gaijins. And if you ski? So many off the radar places.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:30pm

Forgot to mention- x2, Pops, that was very clever.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:33pm

Hows the water up there these days Zen? Isn't fukushima in that area?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:41pm

Super cold- still in 5mil, booties and gloves. Icecream headaches when duckdiving. Warming up soon though, summer on the way. I'm actually northern Kanto, about 30 mins from Fukushima border north or about the same Tochigi west.

My wife and I love Tohoku- we (up until now) holiday there regulary.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:46pm

No concerns about elevated radiation levels any more?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:04pm

Nah, not for a long long time.

In another thread i talked about how one of my clients are the engineers actually involved in developing the processes for the cleanup and decomissioning. I got a lot of first hand info. I'll mention it again that the water that's been processed and stored (with the exception of Tritium- which is at or below naturally occurring levels) is cleaner than tap water.

It's inevitable that eventually it will be dumped in the ocean but it's very sensitive with the Fukushima fishos and politically sensitive as the South Koreans are waiting to pounce. They hate the Japanese and vice versa speaking of racism- ha ha!

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:39pm

Good to know.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:43pm

"Nor do I want to host a hornet's nest of extreme politics..."

Where's "fucking vibrant scum" fit in?

Shits n giggles?

Yew!

Winning the cultural moment?? Hey, at least the corpo media gets some big biccies for their facilitation/dissemination/protection racket, what's the excuse here?

2GB or not 2GB?

So all bets are off? No rules?

Fucken sick. Now I can really go to town without comments disappearing and shit.

Strap yourself in, stooges.

No use crying to mum & dad either.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:46pm

I watched a documentary on NHK about the decommissioning zen. Sounds like a very long term project. Decades of work still to come.
Not a skier zen. What's it like in summer? Aya has friends in Hokkaido so it could work out.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:44pm

Hahahahaha.

Only kidding.

Probably.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:55pm

Vibrant scum referred to people in Australia who were allowed into our country as guests plundering our precious medical supplies as a pandemic arrived.

I stand by it wholeheartedly.

If you’re too afraid to stand up for Australia then just be quiet.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:57pm

All seasons have their plusses BB.

Tohoku is the real Japan that few foreigners see. Ask your wife- Iwate, Miyagi, Akita, Aomori, Yamagata- lots to see and do. Road tripping.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:05pm

Ah Blowin, are you referring to that rumour running through facebook? Remember, that one that The Guardian checked up on and couldn't find any stores that actually had it happen.

I seem to recall you were outraged at the idea that someone would be so bold as to challenge the veracity of a facebook rumour. You weren't having it, no sir you were not!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:11pm

The rumour that two Chinese companies operating in Australia obeyed a dictate from their motherland to gouge as much essential medical supplies as they could from Australia .

I think the total they plundered was 170 tonnes or so.

SMH ran that “ rumour “ on their front page.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:09pm

Hey Andy, can you join the dots for me?

"So you are all happy to see unemployment rise in tourism, education, hospitality, mining etc etc for what?"

If that doesn't say "bend over and take it", I don't know what does."

I don't see how the above sentence says 'bend over and take it' ?
It seems like an undeniable statement of fact to me. Severing ties with China will cause all those things, surely no one can deny this?

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:11pm

Ah, I thought you were talking about the people going round with busses and trailers cleaning out rural supermarkets.

I do recall that story about the Chinese companies clearing out medical supplies - Totally with you on your description of that behaviour and the individuals involved.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:21pm

JQ, Cromwell was saying that we should put up with China's bullying and threats because otherwise we will lose money/employment in areas like "tourism, education, hospitality, mining etc etc"

This to me is "bending over and taking it".

I also said that this country needs a reckoning (economically, socially, environmentally) and if China is the catalyst, so be it.
For the record I work in hospitality and tourism and I'd rather lose hours than be the gum on the bottom of the shoe that needs to be scraped off with a rock.

In my books, to consider otherwise would be the act of a traitor i.e. to put up with those threats for the sake of some money which we need to learn to find elsewhere or do without.

Make sense?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:23pm

Daigou is alive and rampant in Australia. I have been witnessing it regularly in our rural supermarkets. I thought it was just a city thing a while ago. And it's not just baby formula. Womens hair brushes, deodorant, nappies, etc, etc, whatever is on special.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:46pm

What you're saying does make sense Andy, but I don't agree with what you are saying his post said. Looks to me like you are drawing quite a few assumptions with it. I think you are reading more into it than there actually is there, certainly fair to extrapolate and assume to a degree, but I think you've gone a bit far on this one.

Definitely agree that Australia needs a reckoning, yes I'd suffer too in this situation, but I'd also take some pain for some much needed change. Terrifying if the Libs are at the wheel during this period though. Their vision of Australia (USA without the guns and 'freedoms') sends a chill down my spine.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 1 May 2020 at 7:04pm

By my reckoning, three or maybe four people saw Cromwell's statement that way, so I don't think I was too far off target.
I'll stand by it for sure.

We all need to be prepared to take some pain for change, the big hope is that it comes voluntarily rather than being forced upon us.

With the LNP at the helm it'll most likely be the latter.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 1 May 2020 at 7:38pm

Slight change in topic - DB retail deposit rate (I expect term deposits) just went negative for >100K Eu amounts:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/deutsche-bank-capitulates-starts-charg...

So you pay the bank interest for keeping the electrons. Could make sense if you expect extreme deflation? Or could fuel flows into store-of-value assets that it doesn't cost to own, or are tangible.

Speaking of which, Stu, have you done a collector board market analysis since the coronavirus? Breakdown of global trade/energy complex/looming depression vs CTRL_P: will classic boards go up or down?

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 9:15pm

"If you’re too afraid to stand up for Australia then just be quiet."

You're Australian, blow in? You sure?

Imagine if Australia had an actual war within its boundaries. Not the frontier wars, or Darwin & Broome in WWII...and not the wet dream of some here of Chi-na...but like a bonafide civil war!

Cool.

I reckon, blow in, you'd be - as one balding, red-faced, spittle-flecked, bullshitting, beer-gutted bigot, scared out of his wits by anything that doesn't reflect same same in the mirror, once said on these very threads - first up against the wall, cunt.

Yew!

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 1 May 2020 at 9:27pm

"the ornate burrowing frog.
check it out, I've dug up a few recently when planting trees, beautiful patterns on the inner and under legs"
Greenjam cheers for that. Your post got lost in all the other bullshit.
Didn't know that I should re-bury them. I do now. Freaked me out at first. Digging a hole and then there's a frog and I'm going where the fuck did he come from.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 9:33pm

...and if you are ever up Mt Windsor way don't forget to keep an eye out for the Buzzing Nursery Frog.

Of course locally toads are much more common particularly the common one eyed anus brooding dung toad. These can commonly be heard making loud gutteral noises that sometimes seem to resemble human speech.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 9:54pm

uplift! uplift! Where are you in our time of need? Arise!

Mortuos cujus tempora transierunt da ei unum ultimum depraehendo hoc obiectum i largiri cum animo tuo Novit iter tuum et auxilio Dei ad hoc volo ut fiat mihi

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Friday, 1 May 2020 at 10:02pm

Yes!!! the return of the great one...Uplift... Greggys hips are fixed and raring to go.Good job.

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Friday, 1 May 2020 at 10:07pm

"Mt Windsor way" aka the ecologists theme park...

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Friday, 1 May 2020 at 10:15pm

I'm not so good with latin Cromwell. Can we have a translation?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 12:16pm

Was this the right thread for frog talk??

Anyway this is going to sound like BS, i wouldn't believe it if someone told me.

But i have a decent sized pond and a resident Eastern banjo frog/ pobblebonk frog laid some eggs and they turned into tadpoles (only had tiny little native fish) so they didn't get eaten.

Anyway this was late summer Autumn 2018, and i expected them to turn into frogs within a few weeks, but no 6 months went and they were still tadpoles, summer 2018/19 came around still tadpoles just getting bigger.

Another winter went and still heaps of tadpoles (hundreds) and i know they are the same ones as they were just getting bigger and bigger and there was never a new lot of small ones and i empty the pond and clean once a year so had to catch them all each time.

Anyway summer came again 2019/20 and they started quickly turning into frogs and i also brought about 15 inside into a fish tank (feed them lettuce) and as they turned into frogs i let them go in the pond/garden.

However i still have two in the fish tank, big ones but only tiny back legs and already seemed to have stopped changing once temps started cooling down.

Anyway i tried to find info and have read this species can take 14 months to turn to frogs (often in Tassie) but most of these went close to 20 to 24 months before changing into frogs and these two i still have most likely wont turn to frogs until things start warming up (even if inside)

Crazy shit, and i don't blame anyone who doesn't believe it, but it's honestly true.

I should really contact someone who knows more about them, id love to know how such a long period of metamorphosis affects their lifespan or how rare it is for them to take this long to turn into frogs.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 12:33pm

Sounds like a crazy shape shifting amphibious conspiracy theory , Indo.

I’m not sure what to believe anymore.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 12:38pm

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my arse.

Think I'll start with scratching my watch.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 12:45pm

BB I have been wondering for awhile if Blowins account / soul was high jacked by Uplift!

Did Uplift damage Blowin in a way similar to the bullied becoming a bully thing?

In a nut shell.

Strangely it was Blowin who rightly called me out ages ago for swearing too much.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 1:08pm

Uplift made an appearance this morning here, but it seems his comment was swiftly deleted.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 2:19pm

Why?Why did big Lifty get disposed of so quick?Yet others seem to be able to do as they please?What's going on?The moral majority?Shame on the moderator or whoever decides these things.Starting to see what side of the breads being buttered and it ain't Nutlex being used.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 2:39pm

I thought I was seeing things but that was a Lifty post wasn't it?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 3:07pm

My word it was. Posting under the name “Money”

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 3:18pm

Sure it wasn't Floyd Mayweather?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 3:20pm

Has to be the quickest return and exit of all time, surely?

anyone put the stopwatch on it?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 4:40pm

Where was Uplift?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 5:05pm

Like Beetlejuice someone said Uplift’s name three times and he magically appeared.
His comment then disappeared a few hours later in a puff of smoke. I got a chance to read the post early this morning, wish I’d copied it when I had the chance.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 5:25pm

Was it the standard Uplift jibber YS? Was Blacks mentioned?

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 5:41pm

Much like your gibber fitzroy?Like a little fork poking a spent pig.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 5:54pm

Oh snuffy, are you that little spent pig? Did that little fork touch your nerve?

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 6:16pm

Get a surf up ya you kooky cat.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 6:19pm

Get a surf up ya you kooky cat.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 6:20pm

TWICE

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 6:33pm

Which coast you on Snuffy ?

Mate , I’m a blowin and I know that sometimes that’s easier said than done.

The shit these East coast fuckers endure has to be seen to be believed. Myself temporarily included , unfortunately.

Tomorrow and Monday is the “ day of days “ around here. Could be world class waves that’d make your best case local scenario seem like a piss take .
Could be 400 metres of shutdown.

Judge not lest Ye be judged.