Olympic Frothhhh

southernraw's picture
southernraw started the topic in Sunday, 21 Jul 2024 at 11:42pm

Less than a week out. Bring the froth. Carn the Irakanjis. Carn the Aussies in all fields. I have EE for a sly gold
To get the ball rolling.....THE world record gold from the great Thorpedo, Sydney, 2000.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:00pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

Actually... speaking of Eddie the Eagle style sports efforts, I have a question for you all,

Some years ago a mate suggested that if you can fund it, you can do the QS. He was thinking, in his 40s, of just doing the tour, having a great old time and partying, traveling the world, getting beaten in heats and getting to surf with not many out, and generally having a blast. It was an intoxicating idea.

Is it possible to Eddie the Eagle the QS?

Met a bloke in Margs, working at a surf shop, who’d done it and written a book about it. I bought it at the bookshop next door.

Can’t find the book, can’t remember the name of it, or the name of the bloke.

But it was a good read.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:02pm

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:23pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
basesix wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:

Well, it's all over bar the shouting and further post-doctoral research, all I know is I've now seen footage of the Sprinkler in an Olympic setting, the world truly is amazing.

hahaha, think you just won the internet today, VJ. have a sticker: https://www.facebook.com/100063222068854/posts/667065519999365/

Ha ha cool they were the ones, i think i even have a timber pencil case somewhere with them on it.

^, yep after being trained begging mum/dad for scanlens cricket stickers, pizza-hut toys, and odd rodds/weird wheels/ mad hot rods bubble-gum stickers..
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.751023741590395&type=3&comment...
when you had a few bucks of your own, those graffiti ones were the coolest. In the grafitti-sticker link above, I remember that dingo-ey thing, and daffy above it, and the 'king' one.. my favourite was 'Keen'.

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:16pm

Much better surfer than Eddie was a ski-jumper, but Ted Deerhurst Eddie the Eagle'd the tour before there was an Eddie the Eagle wouldn't you say? Never had his big moment, no happy ending, so probably never gonna be a movie, but far more interesting tale I'd say.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Surf-Sweat-Tears-Mysterious-Deerhurst-ebook/dp...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:31pm
southernraw wrote:

@vj, there was a guy doing that, just can't remember his name!!

Wade something??? He wrote a book

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:33pm

Yup! That rings a bell @goofyfoot.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:36pm
etarip wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:

Actually... speaking of Eddie the Eagle style sports efforts, I have a question for you all,

Some years ago a mate suggested that if you can fund it, you can do the QS. He was thinking, in his 40s, of just doing the tour, having a great old time and partying, traveling the world, getting beaten in heats and getting to surf with not many out, and generally having a blast. It was an intoxicating idea.

Met a bloke in Margs, working at a surf shop, who’d done it and written a book about it. I bought it at the bookshop next door.

But it was a good read.

Tunnel Vision by Sully McLeod. Clocked up five or so credit cards.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:47pm

Thanks Stu.

"It started as a joke and then got serious. Sort of.

Inveterate traveller Sullivan McLeod got sick of people asking him what he was doing with his life so he started to say he'd decided to become a professional surfer. Then somehow he was registered in the World Qualifying Series (WQS) and found he was going ahead with his stupid idea. He could surf a bit - after all, he did grow up in Margaret River.

So, despite the fact that he was unfit physically, financially and possibly mentally, Sullivan goes into training for his nine months on the circuit, with frequent sidetracking into drinking and partying, but he does actually make it to most of the heats. Along the way he has to work out how to get to the next competition in the next country on his very tight budget, and he shares his highly entertaining observations about Americans, Brazilians, the Brits, French and ex-pat Australians, to name but a few. And he has his fair share of mishaps: he gets locked up in a Brazilian holding cell, parties with South American criminals, has everything stolen in France, and still manages to catch the wave of a lifetime. It's more about the journey than the surfing. We meet the surfers who desperately want to succeed, and all the bit players who make the comps happen, but if Will Swanton's Some Day is as close as you can get without pulling on a contest singlet yourself, Tunnel Vision is about pulling on the singlet, for one hell-raising adventure after another."

https://www.amazon.com.au/Tunnel-Vision-probably-insane-professional/dp/...

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:49pm

"Author description
Sullivan McLeod grew up with three brothers in Margaret River and still lives there (often in a tree house) when he's not travelling. He performed around the world as a stand-up comedian for seven years with gigs at Melbourne Comedy Festival, Edinburgh Festival, London Comedy Store, Improv Comedy Club (LA) and The Comedy Store (LA). Apart from being a restless vagabond, he has been a door-to-door salesman for a telecommunication company (Sydney), a spy for a Greek Restaurant (Rhodes), an assistant to a professor to check the originality of ideas (European Patent Office, Holland), a canvasser for dodgy solicitors to see if anyone wanted to sue their landlord (London), an audience member paid to laugh at lame jokes for live TV shows (Hollywood), a driver of a drilling rig without a truck driver's licence (Kalgoorlie), and a stooge for a magician in his street show in London. And he's been a professional surfer for nine months."

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 7:50pm

@Sypkan,
If your mate was breaking in 1980 then he is definitely OG.
Don't know if I want to wade into this, but I was promoting clubs in Melbourne and Geelong through those years and used to take credit for breaking hip hop on the dancefloors of those two cities. At the time it was dominated by Euro Disco and high BPM tracks, Dead or Alive, Boom Boom Boom let's go back to my room, top 20 hits, etc. I was part of a group that used to base our whole act around Steve Rubell and Studio 54, and also putting the "cutting edge" in programming the music for our dance floors. Hip Hop was already big in New York but in the mid 80's it took a year to break it here. Sugar Hill Gang and GM Flash and the Furious Five were the start of it, but the fkn numb nut old school dinosaur DJ's at the time, the guys that used to do voice overs between tracks, couldn't grasp it. Kept getting too fast and pulling out the Euro disco.
I used to get so pissed off. "play fucken funk!" I used to find myself screaming at them.
That started what used to be called "the DJ wars" in those days in the industry, I made a lot of enemies when I started sacking them, sometimes mid set, and went out and found replacements, some of Melbourne's original hip hop kings, three in particular, Ransom, Takse and Peril.
If @Indo was around the graffiti world then he would recognise those names, they were OG graffiti guys who moved into DJing and all ended up very successful. Ransom in particular was a gun, he won the DMC DJ comps for years, unbelievable skills.
It didn't work initially, I emptied the basement dancefloor at Inflation for nearly a year. But when Run DMC did "Walk This Way" and the Beastie Boys broke, it all turned around.
I also produced and managed Australia's first all girl hip hop band, "Fly Girl 3" around that time. They were pretty big for a while, underground big, but could fill rooms and put on a great show.
Those girls could have outbreaked Raygun 40 years ago.
I tried selling them to Molly Meldrum for Countdown but he wasn't interested, didn't understand hip hop, for all his "guru" status the guy missed a lot of marks back when he dominated what Australian kids got to hear.
He shitcanned the Sex Pistols too when they first broke.
Tried to get them on Hey Hey too and they auditioned for Pam Barnes but she too passed. Didn't get it.
So it took a while to get it to happen here, but it went bigly when it did, and also allowed us to introduce some of the classic funk playlists that had been missed here for years. It was all about the BPM's. Still is probably.
House music also got traction around that time, originally they called it "Chicago House", then later in the 80's Acid House, when ecstasy arrived in Australia, 1986 I think it was. And high BPM dance tracks got a new lease of life, but without the Euro beat influence. The early days of Techno.
Surprisingly to me at the time, Geelong didn't hesitate in embracing hip hop, it worked straight away there.
So like you I go a way back watching rappers, MC's and breakers.
My thoughts on Raygun? "WTF?" was my initial response, I know we have world class female breakers here, seen plenty of them myself.
Then I read about the selection process and it all made sense.
I doubt she'd be in the top 20 female breakers here.
Someone got robbed.
But she seems to have won gold in the comedy and attention stakes, so good on her, hope she can monetize her fame now, although doubt her "Only Fans" potential tbh.
One of my enduring memories of those days is that every Mercedes in Melbourne had the bonnet star missing, stolen by some wanna be B boy to wear as jewellery.
I lost two back then myself, the little fuckers.
But your mate pulling out the cardboard in 1980, @ Sypkan. Definitely OG. A man ahead of his time.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 8:00pm
stunet wrote:
etarip wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:

But it was a good read.

Ahh yes! That’s it.
I was thinking of that Wade Gravy bloke who I think now writes for surf publications and was on the wqs at one stage..

Edit - adam12, you’ve been around hey. You’ve got some interesting tales.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 8:17pm
goofyfoot wrote:
stunet wrote:
etarip wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:

But it was a good read.

Ahh yes! That’s it.
I was thinking of that Wade Gravy bloke who I think now writes for surf publications and was on the wqs at one stage..

Edit - adam12, you’ve been around hey. You’ve got some interesting tales.

Yup. That’s the one.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 10:13pm

I guess it was early 80's adam12, well before 85... but yeh he was defo. OG, as he was far too young, and far, from the influences of the melbourne nightclub scene...

makes me wonder how he was onto it...

funny dude, maybe not the sharpest tool academically, but full smart arse and ahead of the curve on a lot of things

first dude to build a backyard halfpipe round our way too, that got higher and higher with tacked on plywood and stolen real estate signs... rickety old thing it was...

classic

having relatively young and cool parents probably helped. my olds would scorn at all such things...

but we did em anyway

adam12 is quite the story book...

you should write them all down

seriously

meet so many dudes on surf travels that literally have a book

seemingly much more than other past times...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 10:24pm

and, speaking of margaret river characters...

always thought that tony hardy guy could make a good book

is he still kicking around?

could be a nice little retirement number...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 11:21pm

@Sypkan, my brother, and many others, have told me for years to put it down in a book. I do have some stories from those days for sure.
But if you are going to do that you have to tell the truth, and the truth is a lot of it doesn't reflect too well on myself, there's some demons there I doubt I want to resurface or revisit, and I was fucked up high a lot of those years so much of it is lost in the fog.
The other problem is the truth involves some gangsters who are still around, one in particular, and if I told the truth about him I'd expect a "visit".
I'm not that person anymore, don't really want to go back to him these days. Maybe the odd snippet here, and amongst friends, but that's about it thanks.
Mentioning ecstasy arriving in Australia reminded me of a good one though, I knew the first guys that arrived here with it, one was a barman that worked for me, a gay guy that had been partying in Ibiza and they brought it back in three big jars straight though customs who had no idea, they said they were vitamins.
Christmas '85. I went to this party on a rooftop of a building in the city and everyone was off their face on it and I couldn't work out what the fuck they were on. They weren't drunk, it wasn't coke, they weren't tripping, it was bizarre. These two very hot model girls who I had tried to tune in the past and never wanted a bar of me came up and were all over me, stroking my hair and telling me all this shit. It dumbfounded me. I was straight and the whole scene spun me out a bit and I actually left.
Found out that week what they were all on and did my first one a week later. I remember saying to my partners, we were in the business of selling alcohol, that if this shit catches on we are all going to go broke. It wasn't that far from the truth, we used to sell more water in those days some nights than grog. It took a few years before the cops, and then the crims, caught on, and then a few more before the crims all started shooting each other for control of the market. The real, saffron based, ecstasy was gone by then and the crims were pill pressing any sort of shit and selling it as ecstasy. I had stopped taking it by then.
But those early years, FMD. That shit was wild. Wish I could remember half of it.
But no book from me. My ghosts are staying hidden, for my own sanity mostly.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 11:57pm

;)

https://m.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 5:56am
sypkan wrote:

Didn’t he kill some bloke and doing time for murder?

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 11:00am

Adam12...I think we could have a very interesting offline chat comparing stories...hahahaha...

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 11:07am

Agreed @crg. I'd be keen to sit at any roundtable or bar and listen to a few of @adam12s tales that can't be published. Classic stuff.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 11:40am

As I know Adam12 and a bit about his Ecstatic Life , he is probably more worried about , Exposing his Mates .

He has divulged the personal stuff , mostly lol , on SN already .

We get the Jist , just not the gory details haha .

I somehow , avoided Adam's Inflation , only going a couple of times .

Must have had a girlfriend , whose father ran a Pub .

It was like Studio 54 a bit , backrooms and all .

The Bar Room antic's and Drink Cards , Lighting up the place !

Legendary , 2 see and experience .

Mayhem and just , In control , mostly , nearly imho !

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 11:53am

^^^

whoops

looks I shouldn't have gone there...

shows how outa touch I am

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 12:51pm

Adam12 also introduced/pioneered " Lighting Up " a bar, in Melbourne .

Literally !

Must have cost him a fortune , but very effective at getting the place pumping .

I can't remember the place getting Raided or a Riot , Ads has a certain WAY , with everyone .

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 2:23pm

adam12 - great to read your take about clubs and music back then. Cheers.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 2:23pm
goofyfoot wrote:
sypkan wrote:

Didn’t he kill some bloke and doing time for murder?

I always thought Tony Hardy walking from Margaret River across the Nullarbor to Broken Hill or wherever it was in a pair of double pluggers would make for a fascinating story if done right.
Australian desert noir on the edge of madness.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 4:57pm

Adam12, great stories, love them. Back then a move to Melbourne was what the cultured/bohemians did from Perth. Worked in & went to Perth's nightclub scene while studying early/mid 90s, saw a bit of craziness just working in it. Still have a free pass to Firm1/Firm2, when you mentioned techno that lit up a few brain cells that are left, F1 was the techno side iirc and that was an e place with huge baggy jeans (they've come back) and it was bundled into a split club that had I dunno goth/80s underground stuff in F2. Now the Melbourne club and painted opposite colour last time I went past, apparently haunted as we were told from staff we knew. Wild days. & are we talking old man Hardy, a mate mentioned he was checking out an early single I'd shaped in south pt carpark one day mid 90s, took a bit of pride that a legend had flashed on it...

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 6:57pm
adam12 wrote:

@Sypkan,
If your mate was breaking in 1980 then he is definitely OG.
Don't know if I want to wade into this, but I was promoting clubs in Melbourne and Geelong through those years and used to take credit for breaking hip hop on the dancefloors of those two cities. At the time it was dominated by Euro Disco and high BPM tracks, Dead or Alive, Boom Boom Boom let's go back to my room, top 20 hits, etc. I was part of a group that used to base our whole act around Steve Rubell and Studio 54, and also putting the "cutting edge" in programming the music for our dance floors. Hip Hop was already big in New York but in the mid 80's it took a year to break it here. Sugar Hill Gang and GM Flash and the Furious Five were the start of it, but the fkn numb nut old school dinosaur DJ's at the time, the guys that used to do voice overs between tracks, couldn't grasp it. Kept getting too fast and pulling out the Euro disco.
I used to get so pissed off. "play fucken funk!" I used to find myself screaming at them.
That started what used to be called "the DJ wars" in those days in the industry, I made a lot of enemies when I started sacking them, sometimes mid set, and went out and found replacements, some of Melbourne's original hip hop kings, three in particular, Ransom, Takse and Peril.
If @Indo was around the graffiti world then he would recognise those names, they were OG graffiti guys who moved into DJing and all ended up very successful. Ransom in particular was a gun, he won the DMC DJ comps for years, unbelievable skills.
It didn't work initially, I emptied the basement dancefloor at Inflation for nearly a year. But when Run DMC did "Walk This Way" and the Beastie Boys broke, it all turned around.
I also produced and managed Australia's first all girl hip hop band, "Fly Girl 3" around that time. They were pretty big for a while, underground big, but could fill rooms and put on a great show.
Those girls could have outbreaked Raygun 40 years ago.
I tried selling them to Molly Meldrum for Countdown but he wasn't interested, didn't understand hip hop, for all his "guru" status the guy missed a lot of marks back when he dominated what Australian kids got to hear.
He shitcanned the Sex Pistols too when they first broke.
Tried to get them on Hey Hey too and they auditioned for Pam Barnes but she too passed. Didn't get it.
So it took a while to get it to happen here, but it went bigly when it did, and also allowed us to introduce some of the classic funk playlists that had been missed here for years. It was all about the BPM's. Still is probably.
House music also got traction around that time, originally they called it "Chicago House", then later in the 80's Acid House, when ecstasy arrived in Australia, 1986 I think it was. And high BPM dance tracks got a new lease of life, but without the Euro beat influence. The early days of Techno.
Surprisingly to me at the time, Geelong didn't hesitate in embracing hip hop, it worked straight away there.
So like you I go a way back watching rappers, MC's and breakers.
My thoughts on Raygun? "WTF?" was my initial response, I know we have world class female breakers here, seen plenty of them myself.
Then I read about the selection process and it all made sense.
I doubt she'd be in the top 20 female breakers here.
Someone got robbed.
But she seems to have won gold in the comedy and attention stakes, so good on her, hope she can monetize her fame now, although doubt her "Only Fans" potential tbh.
One of my enduring memories of those days is that every Mercedes in Melbourne had the bonnet star missing, stolen by some wanna be B boy to wear as jewellery.
I lost two back then myself, the little fuckers.
But your mate pulling out the cardboard in 1980, @ Sypkan. Definitely OG. A man ahead of his time.

Adam12. Hi mate. I hope you are doing fine.

Great stories, we need more, from all of us, beats break dancing.

I’ve got a mate , who when drunk does the best ‘sprinkler’, he’s 60 and still rips it on the turps, weed, or whatever is going around.

That was ‘Gold, Always Believe in Your Soul, You’ve Got The Power To Know, You’re indestructible , cause you are GOLD’

Love a story, I could listen to them and orate them all day everyday.

It’s a form of indirect historical learning.

I think we all look back over our lives and recall instances where we should’ve been dead.

Surfs come to a halt here. All the best. AW

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 7:31pm

My best mate in high school is a black fella and they lived the next street over from us. They had an inground pool while we had a shitty above ground. His dad was an audiophile and they had a killer stereo- one of those old glass valve amps, sweet turntable and Bose 901's. I:d never heard Prince sound so good. Anyhoo-as this old timer tends to ramble on some, me and my mate used to go down to the loading dock of the local shopping centre on a Sunday arvo when closed and scrounge around for cardboard to make a mat for backspins and other breaker moves. We used my crappy not-so-boomy box and my mate supplied the tapes. Poppin' to 2live Crew was pretty rad.

Anyhoo- turned out my mate was really good at back spinning and shit and I was hopeless. After about two weekends we went back to whatever we did on weekends that wasn't quite so fucking ill-suited to the likes of us.

Haven't heard about my mate in years but I know he did time the Gangsta.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 6:47am
etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 7:22am

Not a bad statement.

Still a lot of questions, but all for the Australian breaking community to sort out. Public needs to lay off it, and her.

Keeping a low profile probably the best option right now. Good luck to her.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 7:37am

If the mainstream media continues using 'B-Boy' or 'B-Girl' - the latter to describe a 36-year old woman - then in the name of sports parity I demand they use 'shredder' to describe pro surfers.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 8:08am

Shred fella

Catchier.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 8:12am

Shred fella and shred betty

"Caroline Marks, a shred betty from the US, is the current world champ and Olympic gold medallist."

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 9:02pm
burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 9:55pm

Sooooooo, people are upset about Raygun, but saying nothing about a convicted pedo playing volleyball in the olympics?

You guys are fucked

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 8:56am
burleigh wrote:

Sooooooo, people are upset about Raygun, but saying nothing about a convicted pedo playing volleyball in the olympics?

You guys are fucked

You talking about this guy? Done the crime (horrific and detestable) and also did time.....Do you think he is beyond redemption? Isn't he entitled to have a life after the "biggest mistake of his life?"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/convicted-child-rapist-to-compete-in-olymp...

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 9:03am
icandig wrote:
burleigh wrote:

You guys are fucked

You talking about this guy? Done the crime (horrific and detestable) and also did time.....Do you think he is beyond redemption? Isn't he entitled to have a life after the "biggest mistake of his life?"

Not when kids are involved. You’re a sick fuck to think otherwise.

What about the 12 year old girl? She doesn’t get a second chance.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 9:45am
icandig wrote:
burleigh wrote:

You guys are fucked

Shit he was 21 and raped a 12 year old girl, thats much worse than id assumed, not just rape but a paedophile too.

I get your point though, its a hard one, where should they draw lines on who can and cant compete based on criminal history?

I honestly dont know.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 9:56am
udo wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-ACr4JtEo2/

that is absolutely astonishing.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 12:13pm

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 12:14pm
burleigh wrote:
icandig wrote:
burleigh wrote:

You guys are fucked

Just to be clear...I don't think otherwise. But this guy is playing volleyball. He's not in charge of a kindergarten.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 2:52pm
icandig wrote:
burleigh wrote:
icandig wrote:
burleigh wrote:

You guys are fucked

Just to be clear...I don't think otherwise. But this guy is playing volleyball. He's not in charge of a kindergarten.

Pedo rapist don't get a second chance. EVER

Who cares about raygun.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 3:09pm

What does it say about a person when they seem to be only capable of dealing in absolute black-and-white?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 3:22pm
AndyM wrote:

What does it say about a person when they seem to be only capable of dealing in absolute black-and-white?

Remember 2019? We could still argue and debate in good faith, and there were lots of grey areas. Fuck, I miss it.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 3:32pm

Yeah, there seems to have been a fundamental change,
I can think of a few reasons that might be driving it, none of them easy to address.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 3:37pm

My question was prompted by reading the article and seeing the guy (the rapist) owning up to his 'mistake' and trying to get on with his life. In no way do I condone his crime, but it left me wondering about his (and others) ability to be reformed. It was also to give ol' mate Burls a bit of a rib tickler and see if I could get a response. I got what I expected. A big MWAH goes out to you Burleigh. Polarisation and binary thinking is the new norm.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 3:42pm

We could make this “send a virtual hug to Burls” day.
Hang in there big fella, the world’s not all bad.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 3:46pm
AndyM wrote:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

What are we talking about Andy?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 3:55pm

I was having a dig at burls VJ.

He’s of the absolute opinion that people who have made a certain mistake are beyond redemption, children should not be vaccinated etc etc

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 4:38pm

Good stuff, always the opportunity to add Star Wars quotes
Gotta have a sense of humour