Olympic Frothhhh

southernraw's picture
southernraw started the topic in Sunday, 21 Jul 2024 at 11:42pm

Less than a week out. Bring the froth. Carn the Irakanjis. Carn the Aussies in all fields. I have EE for a sly gold
To get the ball rolling.....THE world record gold from the great Thorpedo, Sydney, 2000.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 5:43am

Niina Kennedy all time. Best moment of the Olympics for me. Epic.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 7:15am

Say it again, the Men’s park skating is the best watching in the Lympics for me.
Best day of surfing (day 3) was all time, but the skating is so consistent and they are absolutely sending it run after run.

Groms are inspired too. Skaties out. Ollie practice under the carport. Skating to school. Kelpie assisted skating on the way home.

Life’s good. Smile on my dial.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 7:20am

Keegan on winning: “Dude, I can’t even believe it bro. I literally... like I’m speechless,”
Fantastic effort, all time winners speech.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 7:58am

In what other sport do the two closest competitors, from other nations, run out onto the arena to lift the winner onto their shoulders in genuine stoke. Every run, fellas are cheering each other on.

It’s just fucking awesome.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 9:12am

Our Team is now the MOST successful , of ALL time .

Am thinking OUR Captain , set the Bar at the start of the Games and got the Team going .

FOXY Lady , carried the Flag and competed the day after .

She was 8th ? , after her first run .

Then , she really Stepped UP !

The Most perfect performance , to win gold .

What a statement to her Team , follow me !

Our female swimmers , always Step Up , we can count on them .

Hats off to those who chose Fox , to Lead our Team and carry our Flag in the Opening ceremony !

A lot of funny comments about The Endless Slong , The Pole , lucky there are no huge mugumba's ( I haven't seen any ) .

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 9:15am

park was epic...fantastic nights viewing.

quite enjoying other sports.

Aus media is cringe and over the top on how many medals we have. Too much focus on the medal count.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 9:22am

XY power into the gold medal match.
A convicted child rapist playing volleyball

The wokelympics is going great.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 9:32am

You are wrong Roady .

Every individual athlete there is trying to win a Medal .

Every individual is so proud , to take a medal home .

The most beautiful memento , to remind them of the blood , sweat and tears , they shed to achieve something special .

There Families , are so Proud of them .

A Country can feel the same Thing !

A successful Australian Team , is something our country should be very proud of !

The World is seeing our Name high up on the Tally List and saying f me , what's those Aussies doing DownUnder .

We are the Country , that are supporting and producing these wonderful individuals .

Aussie Aussie Aussie , Oi Oi Oi !

edit

Burls , gosh mate , one or two bad apples in a Wonderful orchard , makes it a truly wonderful orchard .

Grow up .

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 9:46am

Enjoyed watching the BMX freestyle and the skateboarding, non-stop action and an even playing field.
I loved watching the surfing, but sadly, I can see why the general public could get behind surfing more if it was in a wave pool. More like athletics on a moving ramp than real surfing to me though.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 9:58am

?si=6_zEwna2EucfPAcc

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:10am
Pop Down wrote:

You are wrong Roady .

Every individual athlete there is trying to win a Medal .

Every individual is so proud , to take a medal home .

The most beautiful memento , to remind them of the blood , sweat and tears , they shed to achieve something special .

There Families , are so Proud of them .

A Country can feel the same Thing !

A successful Australian Team , is something our country should be very proud of !

The World is seeing our Name high up on the Tally List and saying f me , what's those Aussies doing DownUnder .

We are the Country , that are supporting and producing these wonderful individuals .

Aussie Aussie Aussie , Oi Oi Oi !

edit

Burls , gosh mate , one or two bad apples in a Wonderful orchard , makes it a truly wonderful orchard .

Grow up .

gawd, yawn...always reading waaaaaay too much into a post. I have no doubt you would be the ugly embarrassing over the top Australian when overseas.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:28am
burleigh wrote:

@burleigh you have failed to provide evidence that the boxers in question are in fact XY , you have been duped through hear say . Have a closer look , the Russian girl that was beaten in 2023 by khelif , had a unbeaten record until khelif came along . The IBA was run by a Russian at the time and never provided factual evidence of Khelif being XY and they still haven’t . The IBA reinstated the Russian boxer’s unbeaten record.The IBA is a very suss outfit and yes the IOC have had their own scandals over the years but just because a woman doesn’t look feminine in your eyes, doesn’t make her a bloke .

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:26am

While some of the Ch 9 coverage is a bit cringe as @Roadkill says, I reckon some of the commentary team have been epic. Andrew Gaze, Steve Hooker, the Skatie guys, Gerard Whateley and Tamsin Lewis and a few others have really excelled I reckon.
And the skating last night was fantastic. A window into what a pool contest could be like in the Olympics.
Keegan spoke about how big having a stadium crowd was for the skaters and how it pushed their performances. Pool surfing is not what we all call surfing, but it could be something unique for the sport, the stadium Olympic experience, without lulls, priority and luck, just performance,. and a huge cheering crowd right there, not hundreds of yards away or like Chopes was, no crowd and a low key vibe in the channel.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:26am
udo wrote:

https://youtu.be/bDga2zkhBW8?si=6_zEwna2EucfPAcc

Just trying to blow off a bit of steam after training his ring off for 4 years.
Silly bugger shouldn’t of got caught.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 11:25am

I think Surfing in the Olympics , should be in a Wavepool ( the Only competition ) .

The Olympics are different .

Being held only once , every 4 years , puts extra pressure on All the Athletes .

Performing , when IN the Spotlight , is fn scary !

Sometimes , humans can have an OFF day .

I played in 9 GF's , U don't want to make a fool of yourself .

Doing a PB , @ an Olympics , now that's a Cool trick .

We see in the AFL , how confidence can influence a team .

Our Team , came out of the Blocks Firing , thanks to Foxy !

Now we are carrying Gold Dingy's onto Shore and one of our girls nearly pole vaulted , Out of the bloody stadium .

Blooming beautiful sights !

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 11:50am
etarip wrote:

Say it again, the Men’s park skating is the best watching in the Lympics for me.
Best day of surfing (day 3) was all time, but the skating is so consistent and they are absolutely sending it run after run.

Groms are inspired too. Skaties out. Ollie practice under the carport. Skating to school. Kelpie assisted skating on the way home.

Life’s good. Smile on my dial.

Epic comment

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 11:58am
goofyfoot wrote:
udo wrote:

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 12:06pm

Hahaha

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 3:21pm

Just watched women's pole vault, and bloody hell was that a fascinating comp. The concentration, tactics, technique. And the different personalities.

Big fucken congratulations to Nina Kennedy.

Juliang's picture
Juliang's picture
Juliang Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 4:10pm

I think the best 2 waves in 35 minutes format, is always going to result in too much downtime, in the Olympics and the WSL , for Jo blo and some surfers as well. Which a wave pool would eliminate, and guarantee the quality of waves in a small way. Also can’t see why it can’t be best 5 waves, in the ocean , which would decrease the downtime, and make fitness and tactics more important.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 4:16pm
Supafreak wrote:
burleigh wrote:

@burleigh you have failed to provide evidence that the boxers in question are in fact XY , you have been duped through hear say . Have a closer look , the Russian girl that was beaten in 2023 by khelif , had a unbeaten record until khelif came along . The IBA was run by a Russian at the time and never provided factual evidence of Khelif being XY and they still haven’t . The IBA reinstated the Russian boxer’s unbeaten record.The IBA is a very suss outfit and yes the IOC have had their own scandals over the years but just because a woman doesn’t look feminine in your eyes, doesn’t make her a bloke .

No answer is the answer mate.

Juliang's picture
Juliang's picture
Juliang Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 4:17pm

A lot of pros seem to go well, when they’re catching lots of waves in a comp, like having a free surf , and getting used to the ever changing conditions .

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 4:17pm
Pop Down wrote:

Grow up .

a convicted rapist of a 12 year old girl in the olympics is more than a bad apple. fuck me

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 4:59pm
goofyfoot wrote:
udo wrote:

So lame that having a few nose beers is even an issue.
Decriminalise the lot.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 5:18pm
AndyM wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:
udo wrote:

So lame that having a few nose beers is even an issue.
Decriminalise the lot.

much worse things going on that didnt get the air time it deserved. Yet this poor bloke gets hammered for trying to powder his nose like half the olympians in Paris would be.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 5:20pm

Burls, you do realise that Big Pharma is behind this?

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 5:28pm

Luckily the authorities let him off with a warning, no charges, no conviction.
I don't know how the governing sporting bodies will act though.
Hopefully it doesn't ruin him.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 6:07pm

Smoking a bit of pot is one thing, but snorting white powder isn't a good look for any sports person, let alone at that level. If he can't go a few days without it then he must have a serious problem. There is no way half the Olympians would be sneaking around taking heavy drugs.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 6:26pm

@burleigh , I was in your camp initially and posted a instagram pic similar to yours. Peabo challenged me and planted a seed of doubt which got me to look a bit deeper into background of this story . Your mind is made up and nothing will change that I’m sure , enjoy your day . IMG-8177

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 6:57pm

In the interests of becoming more informed - I post these. (Making no claim of legitimacy - I know nothing of Wire sports or Quilette - the links were passed onto me by a friend and I'm a chronic fence sitter).

A quote from the wire sports article and in reference to Imane Khelif and Yu Ting Lin

"In boxing, asserted Gabriele Martelle, chair of the IBA coaches commission, “When there is an unfair advantage, people can die.” He also said, “We had two cases of disqualification,” adding a moment later, “They were publicly banned because of the rules.” And: “This is a sport. We have rules. If you cannot comply, I am sorry. It’s not discrimination. It’s just the rules.”

https://www.3wiresports.com/articles/2024/8/5/fa9lt6ypbwx5su3z20xxnfzgta...

https://quillette.com/2024/08/03/xy-athletes-in-womens-olympic-boxing-pa...

The articles seem to support Burleigh's posits.

**edit....in addition to the above (most of you probably know this already), the IBA banned the athletes based on blood tests. Reportedly the IOC allowed the athletes to compete based on passport information.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 7:19pm

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/quillette/ Overall, we rate Quillette Questionable based on the promotion of racial pseudoscience, the use of poor sources, and failed fact checks.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 8:09pm
Supafreak wrote:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/quillette/ Overall, we rate Quillette Questionable based on the promotion of racial pseudoscience, the use of poor sources, and failed fact checks.

Ha Ha...and that's why I have splinters in my arse.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 8:31pm

@icandig , it would be good to have DNA results published by IOC but they have privacy protection rules.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 8:44pm
udo wrote:

Remove all funding he gets…and never gets to represent his country again.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 8:50pm

Sports climbing…man oh man are those guys fast. Great to watch

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:00pm
Supafreak wrote:

@icandig , it would be good to have DNA results published by IOC but they have privacy protection rules.

I don't concern myself too much about finding truths, but I am interested in the nuances and grey areas which seem to trigger peoples biases and emotions. That's why I rarely comment or offer opinion. The issue doesn't really affect me. I'm not the one getting punched in the ring. These days it's just too hard actually form an opinion based on facts because facts are obscured and manipulated. I respect that you had a position and were willing to reconsider it. Some people (on here) get so caught up with being right that their ability to think rationally or take on any opinion other than there own, risks stunting their own mental growth.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:24pm

...and then there's the odd times I'll post and on reflection privately berate myself for seeming like a bit of a wanker.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:55pm
icandig wrote:

...and then there's the odd times I'll post and on reflection privately berate myself for seeming like a bit of a wanker.

I regard myself as a pretty good gauge-er, icandig. assuming we sn normals all aspire to put ourselves honestly into the schoolyard, be a little cheeky and a little informy, not preachy and not inflamey, show empathy. find a few peeps who go 'hah' at our comments, we get to dabble in a pretty nice online surf-club, with pretty great forecasters and journos and whatnot. you, mate, are solid as.

(i have set the above message to music, and intend performing it on the theramin. expect an mp3 in yr inbox : )

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 11:12pm

The schedule has become a gargantuan. Just checked there are 329 events (39 sports)in Paris this year.
Sydney had 300 (28 sports) and Barcelona had 257 (25 sports)
Big, big business.

Interesting article comparing the relative success of different eras when comparing number of events and number of athletes.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/olympics/truth-behind-australias-best-olymp...

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 8 Aug 2024 at 11:11pm

my son got the stan olympic package that everyone got, for the month.. unreal investment. even he, now, thinks waking up at 5am tomorrow for a live basketball game with teams you don't really care about (really) is not needed. we'll watch it at about 6 or 7, with pancakes apparently : )

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 7:27am

Cheers @ B6. Don't worry, I'm not about to drive my car off a cliff, just sometimes I look back at my posts and wonder what the fuck I was on about - the last one came off as a bit pompous. I welcome your theremin doodling, but please post to the tunes page, I wouldn't want to deny others of your immense talents.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 7:28am
basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 7:44am

hhaha, unreal @icandig!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 7:57am

@icandig , there would be plenty of people sitting on the fence when it comes to the khelif case . I don’t believe anyone wants to see men competing in women’s sports event . I think the only transgender person competing at the olympics is a female boxer who believes she’s a man , he/she hasn’t started the transition treatment yet but has had a double mastectomy . I have always enjoyed reading your posts, may not always agree but do respect your position on things , you don’t come across as a wanker . Hope ya getting some waves and not freezing too much .

Juliang's picture
Juliang's picture
Juliang Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 8:00am

@basesix. This schoolyard analogy , gives us a glimpse of your school boy days , good, bad or indifferent!

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 8:09am

icandid

I tried the Theremin , I think , freaky as !

Great that U and basey , are perusing the Grey area's , as I am too Black or White , often .

The Olympic Village , is like a City .

There are only a few Village idiots , or cheats , or grey area's , in that Wonderful group of people .

How was the World Record in the Men's Pole Vault ?

Sport Poetry and drama , in motion .

The Olympics IS the Greatest Show on Earth , 4 sure !

edit

Other than the Dees winning a GF !

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 8:08am

- v nice words b6, as always ;)
@ icandig, at first it may have seemed like u are a bit warped haha

...and that's ok, don't worry bout the arse splinters either ;)
- in the sage words of AW, "it's all a bit of fun! "

Just never lose ya olympic sized froth, & don't dream it's over
...u got plenty of shred in ya ;)

https://m.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 8:37am

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 8:39am

Honey badger ? 2024 Olympics: Aussies, Germans call for 'DNA test' as moustache-laden Canadian gold medalist Ethan Katzberg sets social media ablaze https://ca.news.yahoo.com/2024-olympics-aussies-germans-call-for-dna-tes... "Nah I want a DNA test, this man is clearly Australian," one X (formerly Twitter) user wrote.

“They’re just appropriating the Aussie male look,” suggested another.

"He's probably a secret Aussie," according to another post, while a fellow Australian claimed, "I’m pretty sure this dude lives down the street from me and drives a dodge ram truck."

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 9 Aug 2024 at 8:49am
icandig wrote:

I think most of us do this. I certainly do.