The Necessity of Reparation for Historic Injustices

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond started the topic in Sunday, 25 Jul 2021 at 1:26pm

Uni assignment i did a few years ago. This is my take on things. I'm sure this will ruffle many feathers. I hope so.
Love Blue Diamond x

The Necessity of Reparation for Historic Injustices

Introduction – Compensatory Justice
Disparities between the standards of living of humans on this planet have long been a part of our history on this planet. From the wealthy nations of the West to the developing and undeveloped nations on this globe, the diversity in the quality of life when viewed from a moral standpoint are without a doubt grossly unfair.
In this paper I will look at why historic injustices do require some form of reparation. I take a strong stance that we are more obliged to solve current injustices than to provide reparation for every act of injustice in the past. In doing this I will first investigate the historic injustice of the Aboriginal people of Australia and I will look at the argument that they are entitled to some form of reparation and why.
I will incoroporate some interesting views from Jeremy Waldron, Robert Nozick and others which will help me slowly build to my conclusion that reparation should be in the form of Non Indigenous Australians surrendering some of our priveleges as a form of reparation.

Historic Injustices to Indigenous Australians:
Australia the continent was well inhabited for many years long before white settlement. It is commonly known that in 1788 Australia was colonised as a country under the rule of the British Empire, with total contempt for the fact that it was already inhabited by a native indigenous race of people.
The way the original inhabitants have been treated, including forced assimilation, execution, stolen families and not even allowed to be recognised as citizens for a large part of white Australia’s history are also well known facts. (Poole, 1999,pp114-142)
There exists now a situation where there is a large divide between Aboriginal and non Aboriginal Australian’s that can be traced back to the moment Australia was invaded by English settlers and the brutal and unfair treatment that has followed.
So at this point now, in 2013 what is the just and fair way to make amends for past actions?
I would argue that a moderate to large amount of reparation is overdue for this nation of people, the Aboriginal people. But there are many challenges to this view point especially that of how much reparation, and what sort of compensation.

Past injustices or present suffering?
One of the questions raised in an issue like this is whether it is better to provide compensation or reparation for past deeds, which have already been done in a previous generation and cannot be changed, or whether it is better to now provide assistance to those who are suffering in their current situations and consider that as a form of moral duty.
To understand this we need to delve a little deeper into this issue and hear some differing viewpoints.
Firstly we need to understand what the best way to provide reparation. How do we judge what is the best way of giving back and how much? Jeremy Waldron states “The historic record has a fragility that consists, …in the sheer contingency of what happened in the past” (Waldron,1992,p5 )
This is saying that we can’t trace every single injustice back to the original act therefore reparation for every act would be almost impossible because it would ultimately be guess work.
In this statement he has an objection from Robert Nozick who believes it is in fact possible to address this problem by “changing the present so that it resembles how the past would have looked had the injustice not taken place” (McKenzie, 2013)
This would be a way to ultimately provide maximum reparation, but is it the correct approach? I believe this is a fairly radical approach, although it does have some merits in the fact it would be working in a positive way for indigenous people, I don’t think it is entirely the right way to deal with these issues but it is on the right track.
Waldron argues that it is based on too many unknowns. “The status of counterfactual reasoning about the exercising of human reasoning of human freedom is unclear”(Waldron 1993,p10)
Which leaves the question somewhat open about the sort of reparation that is required, but provides one clear answer to the key question. Both agree that yes, reparation to some extent is required. But how much and in what form?
Another philosopher who leans more towards Waldron’s views is Kymlicka. He is somewhat more straightforward in his assessment that property rights in particular for Aboriginals would create “massive unfairness” and also he maintains the argument “Aboriginal rights must be grounded in concerns about equality and contemporary disadvantage. (McKenzie, 2013) I agree with both these views but I don’t think they provide any active solutions.

The Solution?
So if its not handing back all of Australia’s land to the original inhabitants that is the most appropriate way to deal with past injustices, then what is?
I look at the current country I grew up in, as a white Australian. I ask myself why I never had Aboriginal friends growing up, no understanding of Aboriginal culture and why my basic understanding of Indigenous Australians is mostly 200 years old. I look at our flag, a symbol of a nation that stole a country from its original inhabitants, with no recognition of the Indigenous people at all on it. I see that Australia considered Indigenous people as less than people until only 40 years ago and I see the way that Indigenous Australians live a completely separate life to the way of life I know as an Australian. I see that the only indigenous politician I am aware of is a former Olympian and it is because of this fact of her sporting status that I know this. I see no collective power or representation of Indigenous Australians and I see non Indigenous Australians,( a culture built on a history of stealing a land and mistreating its people) still taking, taking as much out of this land as they can, with little to no regard of sharing or giving to the original inhabitants. I see a government that says lots of words about ‘closing the gap’ and bringing the living standards of non- indigenous and indigenous Australians closer together, but apart from nice words, there is no conviction, no follow through, just assimilation , and all that still remains are injustices.
As stated by Sparrow, “Continuity gives rise to responsibility on part of present generations of Australians for our history”.(McKenzie,2013). Although deeds happened in the past beyond our control, what we do now to either ignore, or rectify these issues will reflect on us in history. So if we choose to do nothing, we are contributing to the history of the mistreatment of non- indigenous Australians. And this is simply unacceptable in my opinion.

Conclusion
So what is fair? I believe that the way forward is a surrendering of some of our privileges as non- indigenous Australians. The simple fact is it was morally wrong without a doubt what has happened in the past. And it is also morally wrong without a doubt to ignore these facts and not offer some form of reparation in the present. But how much?
I think that going back to Robert Nozick’s argument is a start. I think Nozick is wrong to make the present resemble the past in every aspect. But I do think that it would be reasonable to restore some aspects of the way things should be. The things that happened in the past were out of our control and we can’t go back to changing the way things were. But we could change the way things are.
For some examples. Why not give at least 50% of political power to indigenous people? It surely would be a fair thing to do considering this is their country. Media control. 50 percent. Industry. Realestate. The list goes on. Why do we not acknowledge the indigenous people on our flag, or better still use their flag? Why is Australia still a part of the Commonwealth when it serves little purpose to any of us and serves as a constant reminder to Indigenous Australians that they are still controlled by the original invaders. These to me are fairly simple reparations that would have minimal impact on Australia as a whole. Perhaps, it would alter the way we live but I think it is our responsibility, morally to forfeit some of our privileges for the greater good. Basically a little bit goes a long way.
In closing, it is a fact that a huge injustice occurred to the Indigenous population and suffering continues to this day. There is no easy solution to such a burden of pain. I believe the only solutions are for the non- Indigenous population to take responsibility and sacrifice our own way of life to bring about an overall equality. Sacrifice is not an easy word. But it all comes down to right and wrong. We are in a position to give, in this current generation. What are we so scared to lose, that was never ours in the first place??

Bibliography
McKenzie,C.”Prof” (2013), Lecture, Historic Injustices and Indigenous Rights, Macquarie University
Poole, R. (1999). Nation and Identity.Routledge, London, pp.114-142
Waldron,J. (1992). ‘Superseding Historic Injustice’. Ethics, 103 (1), 4-28

References
Poole, R. (1999). Nation and Identity.Routledge, London, pp.114-142
Waldron,J. (1992). ‘Superseding Historic Injustice’. Ethics, 103 (1), 4-28

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 4:51pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

You are either very naive or just being disingenuous.

Having this in the constitution means it must be listened too it cant just keep saying No, it puts all kinds of political pressure on the government and will cause all types of holds ups and issues if say No, and the government cant get rid of it, because dumb arse fools like you voted it into the constitution.

Not actually correct Indo. The government can, and if it is the LNP, it will, continue to say no to advice offered by the Voice.

Any political pressure will be based on whether the majority of Australians agree with whatever is being ‘advised’. If the vast majority of people don’t like the idea, the political pressure will be minimal. In any case, dealing with political pressure is, I think I can say with some justification, is actually part of the job description for a politician.

All your stated fears are just fears. Like most fears, they aren’t based in reality.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 4:57pm
zenagain wrote:

Hey Southern, I'm not denying Harrys passion nor his motive- it's the delivery. And flat out abusing people or using racist slurs (and yep, coconut is a racist slur in most peoples eyes) is not holding people to account and not truthful by a long shot. In addition, the people that have come on here stating they would vote no for the most part have conducted themselves quite civilly and thankfully, most of the yes camp too with some exceptions.

I reckon a ton of people have remained silent on this thread regardless of how they intend to vote because they don't want to be subjected to the sort or crap that's scattered throughout this thread.

BTW, is Harry Viclocal?

Cheers VJ- only a top bloke when a camera is around.

Lol... Viclocal...as if. If people gonna vote no cos someone abuses them then that's a great reason!! Honestly, it's remarks like this that insult my intelligence!! Arrogance does sometimes rear its ugly head but thats usually after too much idiocy has been sampled.
And i dont think abuse gets in the way of being truthful... adds a little spice but it's mainly from frustration, incedulity and being confounded by people's ignorance or blatant lies and/or/and stupidity. If one is ignorant one can be educated... but ppl like burley and indo have blinkers on... there's no hope for those MORONS.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 5:09pm

Hey indo. If you love the date so much, why don't you marry it. Go on, indo. Marry the 26th of January. Ooh, it's gonna look so lovely in white, walking down the aisle. Such a wonderful date to marry too, summer all year round, so always a warm hugs. I wish you and Australia day all the best. Sorry to your current, and soon to be, ex-wife.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 5:17pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Who really cares if the date of Australia Day changes??
Geez it's only officially been in 26th Jan since 1994. Hardly an entrenched tradition! What a beat up.
As long as they keep it a public holiday so we can celebrate! :)

Completely WRONG thats pure ignorance.

Yes its only been a national holiday set on the 26th Jan since 1994 before that it was a floating holiday since 1946, but Australia day on the 26th Jan has a very long and rich history and i doubt changing it back to a floating holiday around the 26th would keep the haters happy.

It has been recognised as Australia day on the 26th Jan in all states since 1935 and celebrated in all states since 1946.

However its history goes back much further and the day was recognised by all states under other names except SA since 1888

In NSW even if it was know under different names, this history dates back even further to 1818

And in 1838 it became the fist public holiday in Australia at that stage in NSW only.

Yes the date has also been celebrated at various times on different dates, mostly during the war years but these were rare exceptions 1915 to 1919 period and most states way back had various nationalistic days but this is the date that has been adopted with the longest history.

BTW. there is also also a number of important aspect around the date that only reinforce its importance like

The Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 came into effect on 26 January 1949, creating Australian citizenship for the first time.

26 January 1824: The first mixed-race marriage happened, ironically it was between an Aboriginal women and a convict man and it was a long lasting marriage with 5 children.

It's just a date mate.
If it is upsetting to the original inhabitants of this beautiful country, I cannot see the big deal in changing it. Would be upset losing public holiday though. ;)
Obviously you do and that's ok. Should we still be singing God save the king also?
At some stage Australia should grow up.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 5:20pm

https://m.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 5:35pm

I mean... that's the whole point of the Voice. Look at all the knowitalls and commentators (myself included) on here... more than likely all non-Aboriginal. We're all entitled to our opinions but when it concerns another culture, well, isn't their opinion valuable as well? Us whiteys always have the answers, right or wrong. But... doesn't this speak for itself??

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 5:46pm

Us and Them ... singing with one Voice
Dedicated to #1 swellnet Voice choir...thanx for caring & sharing!

Port Macquarie standing Shoulder 2 Shoulder
https://www.portnews.com.au/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/ruby.pascoe/b60...

Murray Bridge Woolies Fly-bys...Go on...take one...we won't bite!
https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/w_1456,c_limit,f_webp,q_auto:good,fl...

Newcastle Station...All aboard the Peace Tram.
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/20365225...

Leichhardt Town Hall...Civic Spirit rises to the Occasion!
https://imengine.public.prod.mmg.navigacloud.com/?uuid=33d8c014-869f-570...

Horsham St Johns War Memorial Kindergarten ~ Birth -Kindy- Friends to the End
https://www.mailtimes.com.au/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/189654477/20a8...

Brisbane Street { Dividing Line } Briz-vegas Battleground
Loudest of warring neighbours singing with one united Voice...Shake Hands over the Wall ~ Game On!
https://www.aap.com.au/news/where-neighbours-stance-on-voice-is-black-an...

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 5:51pm

Trigger Warning: Abuse Incoming

Just seen the Clive Palmer No ad!! Really??Clive Palmer!!? Do not sensible informed Australians look at this moronic Fat Fuk with absolutely ZERO credibility or integrity and just say if he's a no I'm a yes! Palmer, Hanson, Roberts, Dutton... my god what is in our gene pool??

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:06pm

In the parlance of Howard’s 1990s cultural wars it would be totally unAustralian to question the date of Australia day

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:12pm
andy-mac wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Geez it's only officially been in 26th Jan since 1994. Hardly an entrenched tradition! What a beat up.

Yes its only been a national holiday set on the 26th Jan since 1994 before that it was a floating holiday since 1946, but Australia day on the 26th Jan has a very long and rich history and i doubt changing it back to a floating holiday around the 26th would keep the haters happy.

It has been recognised as Australia day on the 26th Jan in all states since 1935 and celebrated in all states since 1946.

However its history goes back much further and the day was recognised by all states under other names except SA since 1888

In NSW even if it was know under different names, this history dates back even further to 1818

And in 1838 it became the fist public holiday in Australia at that stage in NSW only.

Yes the date has also been celebrated at various times on different dates, mostly during the war years but these were rare exceptions 1915 to 1919 period and most states way back had various nationalistic days but this is the date that has been adopted with the longest history.

BTW. there is also also a number of important aspect around the date that only reinforce its importance like

The Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 came into effect on 26 January 1949, creating Australian citizenship for the first time.

26 January 1824: The first mixed-race marriage happened, ironically it was between an Aboriginal women and a convict man and it was a long lasting marriage with 5 children.

It's just a date mate.
If it is upsetting to the original inhabitants of this beautiful country, I cannot see the big deal in changing it. Would be upset losing public holiday though. ;)
Obviously you do and that's ok. Should we still be singing God save the king also?

It doesn't matter what date the holiday or celebrations are on the Aboriginal activist brigade will never be happy until its completely gone, to them its just a date, but to many Australians its an important date, people can try to change it, they can move the public holiday but its like Christmas the date it really is on can never be changed, Australia day will always be 26th Jan.

IMHO its sad that people are so concerned about preserving others tradition and culture but happy to destroy their own, especially when we have such little.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:13pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

It's just a date mate.

It doesn't matter what date the holiday or celebrations are on the Aboriginal activist brigade will never be happy until its completely gone, to them its just a date, but to many Australians its an important date, people can try to change it, they can move the public holiday but its like Christmas, Australia day will always be 26th Jan.

IMHO its sad that people are so concerned about preserving others tradition and culture but happy to destroy their own.

Aboriginal activist brigade ...
Mmm ok..
Na reckon an Australia Day that unites rather than divides would be a good thing, just a simple date change. While we are at it, get the bloody Great Britain flag off our flag..

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:14pm

Here’s another TTB for the NOalition

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:17pm
zenagain wrote:

Hey Southern, I'm not denying Harrys passion nor his motive- it's the delivery. And flat out abusing people or using racist slurs (and yep, coconut is a racist slur in most peoples eyes) is not holding people to account and not truthful by a long shot. In addition, the people that have come on here stating they would vote no for the most part have conducted themselves quite civilly and thankfully, most of the yes camp too with some exceptions.

I reckon a ton of people have remained silent on this thread regardless of how they intend to vote because they don't want to be subjected to the sort or crap that's scattered throughout this thread.

BTW, is Harry Viclocal?

Viclocal had an abusive nature, but Viclocal was way smarter and mature than Harry i dont think Harry is a past poster.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:35pm

?si=TMuawbAp5xEBdzqh. IMG-5236

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:37pm

Filmed in part at Carinda pub. Story goes they still had black and whites bars and the blackfellas were let into the whitefellas bar to watch and became part of the clip. Can’t guarantee story though
ps. Beat me to it Supa

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:43pm

I’m really enjoying the sounds getting posted on this thread .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:46pm
andy-mac wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

It's just a date mate.

It doesn't matter what date the holiday or celebrations are on the Aboriginal activist brigade will never be happy until its completely gone, to them its just a date, but to many Australians its an important date, people can try to change it, they can move the public holiday but its like Christmas, Australia day will always be 26th Jan.

IMHO its sad that people are so concerned about preserving others tradition and culture but happy to destroy their own.

Mmm ok..
Na reckon an Australia Day that unites rather than divides would be a good thing, just a simple date change. While we are at it, get the bloody Great Britain flag off our flag..

The idea a date change would keep them happy is ridiculous, they will never be happy until the day is completely gone, its just a power play for them, just like the voice.

I call them Aboriginal activist brigade because thats what thy are, they are generally city folk of mixed Aboriginal heritage same type that are involved with the voice.

I think its really important not to categorise them and their views with other Aboriginal people or the ones Harry sees as being the real Aboriginals (the rare time i agree with him)

If you went to any community where there is a large indigenous population most couldnt give a fuck about Australia day, many have real issues to deal with, if the voice got up no Aboriginals in remote communities would be worried about Australia day, however those in the cities would because those in cities have very few real issues related to being an Aboriginal person, there issues are more likely to be the same issues other Australians have like increase in cost of living or housing be it rent increase or getting into the market.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:51pm

IMG-5235

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 6:52pm
Supafreak wrote:

https://youtu.be/VbD_kBJc_gI?si=TMuawbAp5xEBdzqh. IMG-5236

David Bowie did seem to be a great human.... great story.
Lovely humble man from all reports.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 7:09pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
zenagain wrote:

BTW, is Harry Viclocal?

Viclocal had an abusive nature, but Viclocal was way smarter and mature than Harry i dont think Harry is a past poster.

"Way smarter and mature"...
sufferin' succotash

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 7:15pm
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 7:18pm

The backstory behind Bowie and the 'Let's Dance' clip.

Reform's picture
Reform's picture
Reform Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 7:31pm

Ok here's an idea.. I just read a shocking and deplorable comment that this person wrote on this SATURDAY, 7 OCT 2023 at 6:46PM. Look it up, unbelievably poor form continued yet again.
This person has insulted the Aboriginal community far enough! Especially what this person has just written.
I consider to boycott his posts and I advise others to do the same.
If judgement is made and a counter comment is inevitable, I suggest that this person’s name is ignored and not mentioned anymore in this tread. His comments are disparaging to those that are least able to have a voice, at least at this time in the proceedings, hopefully that will change on 14 October. Cheers

Reform's picture
Reform's picture
Reform Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 7:33pm

Keep on Harry, Love your conviction , pretty strong at times but you're a stayer.. Keep on! Go well!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 7:34pm
tubeshooter wrote:

Thanks for that TS , bloody rippa mate

Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 7:49pm

Worth a watch? Anything in there about Bowie’s 14yo girlfriend?

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 7:50pm
Supafreak wrote:
tubeshooter wrote:

Thanks for that TS , bloody rippa mate

Supafreak. Hi. How are you?

Bowie, love his music and that’s a great story/clip.

My favourite song, ‘Absolute Beginners’. …., “with eyes completely open, but nervous all the same”. Worth a listen.
Good stuff.AW

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:06pm
Reform wrote:

Ok here's an idea.. I just read a shocking and deplorable comment that this person wrote on this SATURDAY, 7 OCT 2023 at 6:46PM. Look it up, unbelievably poor form continued yet again.
This person has insulted the Aboriginal community far enough! Especially what this person has just written.
I consider to boycott his posts and I advise others to do the same.
If judgement is made and a counter comment is inevitable, I suggest that this person’s name is ignored and not mentioned anymore in this tread. His comments are disparaging to those that are least able to have a voice, at least at this time in the proceedings, hopefully that will change on 14 October. Cheers

Ha ha ...FFS grow up.

The basic premise of my post is calling out a group of Aboriginal city activist and making it clear that their views and actions shouldn't be seen as the views of wider Aboriginal people.

Basically dont judge or pigeon hole the actions and thought's of some with all.

How on earth can you have an issue with this?

indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

It's just a date mate.

Mmm ok..

The idea a date change would keep them happy is ridiculous, they will never be happy until the day is completely gone, its just a power play for them, just like the voice.

I call them Aboriginal activist brigade because thats what thy are, they are generally city folk of mixed Aboriginal heritage same type that are involved with the voice.

I think its really important not to categorise them and their views with other Aboriginal people or the ones Harry sees as being the real Aboriginals (the rare time i agree with him)

If you went to any community where there is a large indigenous population most couldnt give a fuck about Australia day, many have real issues to deal with, if the voice got up no Aboriginals in remote communities would be worried about Australia day, however those in the cities would because those in cities have very few real issues related to being an Aboriginal person, there issues are more likely to be the same issues other Australians have like increase in cost of living or housing be it rent increase or getting into the market.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:10pm
Michael Adam wrote:

Worth a watch? Anything in there about Bowie’s 14yo girlfriend?

Haha...mate, I wouldn't be singling out Bowie... check Led Zeppelin's groupies sometime. There's not enough prisons to hold all the great rockers if yr going down that road

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:11pm

&pp=ygUVZGF2aWQgYm93aWUgYmxhY2tzdGFy

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:17pm
Reform wrote:

Keep on Harry, Love your conviction , pretty strong at times but you're a stayer.. Keep on! Go well!

Thanks Reform... comes from a lifetime of engagement with some special people in my life.
Just watched the ABC news... pub interviews... and I'm pretty sure the voice is well and truly sunk, no thanks to the NOalition + monied friends. It came from a great place but I do think it wasn't prepared as best as it should've been. Just the hysterics and exaggerations bears that out. It's also something that needed bipartisanship. Plus the fact that I KNOW white Australia is a very racist "place"... just way too much experience in this field. Oh well, Always was, Always will be...ready for the next great plan.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:20pm

#boycottindo
I'm in!!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:20pm

Indo wrote “ If you went to any community where there is a large indigenous population most couldnt give a fuck about Australia day, “ …..I’m curious as to when was the last time you visited a large indigenous population and asked them what they thought about Australia day ? Indo I know you believe things that just pop into your head to be true but the reality is a different story .

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:27pm

He can get there using indigenous gps ;)

&pp=ygURQWJvcmlnaW5hbCBjb21lZHk%3D

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:30pm
harrycoopr wrote:
Reform wrote:

Thanks Reform... comes from a lifetime of engagement with some special people in my life.
Just watched the ABC news... pub interviews... and I'm pretty sure the voice is well and truly sunk, no thanks to the NOalition + monied friends. It came from a great place but I do think it wasn't prepared as best as it should've been. Just the hysterics and exaggerations bears that out. It's also something that needed bipartisanship. Plus the fact that I KNOW white Australia is a very racist "place"... just way too much experience in this field. Oh well, Always was, Always will be...ready for the next great plan.

@harry , I still believe it could go either way , whatever the outcome the next election is going to be a absolute shit fight . Im off at xmas and will be glad to take a long break from the media, got better things to do . I like what L. Tingle had to say IMG-5237

Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:31pm

I agree Harry. It’s all in the past. ;)

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:48pm

Dunno Harry
Im not sure if its just a vocal minority saying no or Australia is as i guessed it was when this thread began.
It was encouraging to see 100000 people cheering before and after the welcome to country last weekend at the G. If thats any sorr of guage to go by in such a divisive period maybe theres hope yet.
And maybe its not as divisive as we're being led to believe. The media, social media comments and the very vocal minority tend to have a way with creating division.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:47pm
Supafreak wrote:
harrycoopr wrote:
Reform wrote:

@harry , I still believe it could go either way , whatever the outcome the next election is going to be a absolute shit fight . Im off at xmas and will be glad to take a long break from the media, got better things to do . I like what L. Tingle had to say IMG-5237

Hope yr right Supa... Love the Tingle

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:48pm
Michael Adam wrote:

I agree Harry. It’s all in the past. ;)

Ha... I see what you're doin!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:48pm

IMG-5238

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:48pm

"The media, social media comments and the very vocal minority tend to have a way with creating division."

Never a truer word spoken.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:59pm
Supafreak wrote:

Indo wrote “ If you went to any community where there is a large indigenous population most couldnt give a fuck about Australia day, “ …..I’m curious as to when was the last time you visited a large indigenous population and asked them what they thought about Australia day ? Indo I know you believe things that just pop into your head to be true but the reality is a different story .

It's been talked about by people like Jacinta but its also called common sense, you live in a community with all kinds of real life issue's, be in crime, domestic violence, drugs, drinking, suicide, mob violence, other things like crazy prices for food or fuel or just money issues, bills, food etc and making sure that last income payment gets you through to the next.

But hey its not those things that your worried about its what date other Aussie's celebrate Australia day, FFS its not the real world anyone that is worried about some date is as privileged as you an me.

BTW. I swear Avi did do a short episode doing exactly that but I can't seem to find it i remember a group of Aboriginal women looking at him with blank stares then laughing going WTF are you on about then, talking about the problems of meth in their community.

seeds wrote:

That’s a nothing response. Jacinta said it! Haha no doubt Jacinta has her story but it doesn’t reflect everyone’s experience. Stop painting everyone with the same brush just as she should.

See above and get fucked.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:56pm
Supafreak wrote:

IMG-5238

What a great bunch!!

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:56pm
southernraw wrote:

Dunno Harry
Im not sure if its just a vocal minority saying no or Australia is as i guessed it was when this thread began.
It was encouraging to see 100000 people cheering before and after the welcome to country last weekend at the G. If thats any sorr of guage to go by in such a divisive period maybe theres hope yet.
And maybe its not as divisive as we're being led to believe. The media, social media comments and the very vocal minority tend to have a way with creating division.

Hope yr right SR... But there's a lot of bogans out there who don't give shit about the blackfellas (and not just bogans)... and now a whole new emerging class of Sovereign citizens like burley and #boycottindo who don't trust govts and put all their trust in the internet authorities. Actually, burleys just a shitstirrer... a little troll while indo is the more dangerous type who often contradicts himself yet believes everything he says regardless of the suss sources... only a matter of time till he splits in two
#boycottindo

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:58pm

@ Indo
That’s a nothing response. Jacinta said it! Haha no doubt Jacinta has her story but it doesn’t reflect everyone’s experience. Stop painting everyone with the same brush just as she should.
And I swear Avi did a…… come on mate!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:57pm
harrycoopr wrote:

#boycottindo
I'm in!!

I really really wish this was the case, but unfortunately it wont be the case, but please give it a go.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:58pm

This it Indo ?

?si=uMydLIN6aXHlqmRr

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 8:59pm
Supafreak wrote:

IMG-5238

Looks like they're all shitting on each other... turd on turd
#uglynastysubhumans

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 9:13pm
udo wrote:

This it Indo ?
https://youtu.be/CM_3jVUXqcM?si=uMydLIN6aXHlqmRr

Yeah cheers Udo im pretty sure thats the video i was thinking of although the question wasnt as direct as i remember and i thiought they said meth not just drugs put the premise is there.

BTW. I wonder who that lady he interviews on skype is or what she normally does she seems no BS and to the point.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 7 Oct 2023 at 9:15pm