All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 2 Sep 2024 at 10:16pm

fucken ey @seeds.
What I have sensed, in spaces where people crawl back into what was once hallowed/sacred, after suffering animalistic horrors, confused, is an understanding of the little critters we are.

Never more so, than in Warsaw. People believing in a thing for comfort is fabbo! (like that magnificent David Mamet scripted Sean Penn monologue from We're No Angels), but faaaaarrrrk me. when shit turns Hobbsian, and the truth of us becomes plain, people wander into these cloud-capped towers and ask the empty sky and broken roof and say 'what? why?'. Heartbreaking.

Complete idiots, we are, this species.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 3 Sep 2024 at 7:15pm

- creation stories ;)

https://m.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 3 Sep 2024 at 7:34pm

maaaayte, that's where so many of us got our early 'philosophy', the buddhisms before 'in gandhara' kicked in, haha!! (I memorised that opening in grade 2, impressed my mates).

@seeds, you might appreciate this:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/mar/29/medieval-gr...
(there's lotsa church tours in the UK you can do now, where they take you up to the rafters and belfries, and you can see the magnificent tradies' signatures, cartoons: priest with a phalluce protruding from his head, devil with titties, etc. proud men these artists, skilled as hell, they needed the contracts and paychecks, but funny fuckers, too. Unionised too, in their little handshake clubs.

good stuff @JF ; )

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 7 Sep 2024 at 8:26am

I wonder who Lady Catherine was and if she indeed fared well.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 7 Sep 2024 at 4:23pm

fared welll..? she fookin looved it..

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 8 Sep 2024 at 10:12pm

this one is for @Island Bay. Clare Maclean is a NZ compositional talent. This piece plays with cathedral echo in real-time, delves into modern messiness melange, comes back into simple plainsong (at 4:00), back into awkward conservative modernism, but a cracker of a song, really. Cool piece to sing, hard to pitch, I actually suspect this is a recording I sang on, gets pitchy in a way I recall. I had a chance to sing this with NYCA (National Youth Choir of Australia) in the 90s, throughout NZ. Also got to sing the NZ national anthem at a rugby game.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Sunday, 8 Sep 2024 at 10:41pm

Brings me back to me churchin youth, Base. If i had some frankincense and myrrh, i’d be totally set.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 9 Sep 2024 at 10:41pm

;)

https://m.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 14 Sep 2024 at 4:12pm

Not religious, sorry @popti, but much of the best is not, now that the secular world has wrested a lot of the money and power from the church and monarchies in western society.

composer John Rutter received a CBE in the same round that Andy Abel received his honour.
(I got to sing this piece in Cambridge conducted by Rutter, and perform alongside a twenty-something Aled Jones, once a boy-soprano wunderkind of 'Sailing' and 'the Snowman' fame had ball-dropped into a fairly good baritone. You can see him on Escape to the Country these days.)

(words from As You Like It by Shakespeare in 1599). this song from John Rutters 20 min 1975 song-cycle When Icicles Hang,

"In his song, Amiens comments on how human insolence and lack of appreciation are more bitter than anything the winter could deliver. This poem reflects the harm and misery those closest to us can inflict. At the beginning of the poem/song, Amiens speaks of the bitter cold winter wind."