All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 7:46pm

“.. Springtime chokers ..”
Huh? Isn’t that the Colliewobbles??

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 7:51pm
GuySmiley wrote:

“.. Springtime chokers ..”
Huh? Isn’t that the Colliewobbles??

Nope. Nothing to see here except black & white stripes, a salient reminder, we are still the reigning Premiers until some other team or we win it again . AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 7:57pm

@AW, serious questions: how did you rate Buckley as a player and comparing Buckley to Hird and Voss where does he sit 1,2 or 3 for skill, courage and match winning ability?

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 8:28pm
GuySmiley wrote:

@AW, serious questions: how did you rate Buckley as a player and comparing Buckley to Hird and Voss where does he sit 1,2 or 3 for skill, courage and match winning ability?

GuySmiley. Hi mate.
All three players with notable differences, attributes and weaknesses.

Buckley incredible skills, didn’t have the players around him with commensurate skills, he was always frustrated. Wasn’t that courageous.Not a good leader in my opinion or a coach.

Hird a courageous player, not a good leader, only from the aspect that he was much better than most of them and they knew it, he could win a game off his own back. Not so skilful, just an incredible player who never stopped his effort.

Voss, was courageous and tough, a leader and a definite match winner, he could drag his players over the line, his teammates loved him. Not necessarily skilful right across the board, but you know what, these days you can make your way without the greatest skillset if you have those other attributes.

This is not bias in any way, but I think Scott Pendlebury has been a great player.
He’s like an on field coach, he knows how to initiate in game scenarios and make them come to fruition, skilful, others follow him, just a genuine professional from start to finish.

Leigh Matthews and Gary Ablett senior, best players I’ve ever seen. AW

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 8:50pm

Nice discussion chaps. Going on their results, Matthews and Voss are up there. Gablett Senior and Carey played okay too. Pendles is a fabulous player too but not really in the same league.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 8:56pm

All greats, I'd rank them Matthews, Ablett, Voss, Hird, Penlebury then Buckley.
But there is a line in the sand above Matthews and only one set of footprints on the other side of it.
If we're picking sides for a GF.
There's only one person, not in that bunch with three Norm Smiths to go with his premiership and Brownlow medals.
Skill, courage, match winning ability.
Sure...but...
It's really all about winning Grand Finals at the end of the day, who's the best on the biggest day.
When it counts the most.
I'd pick Dusty before the lot of them.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 9:02pm

I was trying hard not to let my personal allegiances derail, but you are correct. One season too many perhaps.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 9:08pm

No argument from my end.

Dusty became the player of this/his generation , no doubting that.

He was today’s Hird, always bringing his teammates with him to enforce a win.
Currently, he looks disinterested, but that’s only my read.

This is some kind of religious thread!!!!!! AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 9:47pm

^^ my 2cents worth; b/w Buckley, Voss and Hird on skill, courage & match winning ability my view is …. Buckley, playing in relatively poor Collingwood (with all the associated media attention) teams, clocked up huge possessions which mostly came back to him, so unfairly perhaps could be considered the clanger king of the time. His playing career would be viewed better if he had stayed at Brisbane IMO.

Hird for skill and courage I would rate very highly and he could swing a game because of it, a definite hardball get player to his team’s advantage. Voss could also swing a game with sheer grunt and in your face aggro, Voss also had the luxury of playing with the likes of Black with his silky skills.

The best? Matthews? I was at Windy Hill the day he bumped into the point post and snapped it in two and his last game in the granny where he (and his team) were flogged, he was used at Hawthorn to literally blood in the new kids during preseason intraclub games, if the kid took his eyes off the ball knowing that they were about to be knocked out by Matthews they were dragged off and shown the door …. anyway, best ever is such a difficult question but by the stats, Dusty would have to be the best big game player for the last decade

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 10:01pm
GuySmiley wrote:

^^ my 2cents worth; b/w Buckley, Voss and Hird on skill, courage & match winning ability my view is …. Buckley, playing in relatively poor Collingwood (with all the associated media attention) teams, clocked up huge possessions which mostly came back to him, so unfairly perhaps could be considered the clanger king of the time. His playing career would be viewed better if he had stayed at Brisbane IMO.

Hird for skill and courage I would rate very highly and he could swing a game because of it, a definite hardball get player to his team’s advantage. Voss could also swing a game with sheer grunt and in your face aggro, Voss also had the luxury of playing with the likes of Black with his silky skills.

The best? Matthews? I was at Windy Hill the day he bumped into the point post and snapped it in two and his last game in the granny where he (and his team) were flogged, he was used at Hawthorn to literally blood in the new kids during preseason intraclub games, if the kid took his eyes off the ball knowing that they were about to be knocked out by Matthews they were dragged off and shown the door …. anyway, best ever is such a difficult question but by the stats, Dusty would have to be the best big game player for the last decade

Guy. You’ve nailed it. Go Bombers, from the cockpit, I’m over and out. AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 10:15pm

^^ hardly AW only my opinion viewed through my biases all very subjective cheers

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 10:40pm

All good to talk about the greats, but there are other things that make a player notable.
So a few off the top of my head....
Biggest arse on a player...John Nicholls, Carlton. Rucked with his massive arse, to great effect, not really tall enough to be a ruckman, but bargearsed it.
Hairiest back ... Bruce Doull, Carlton, man of few words but much body hair, not so hairy on the top of his head though.
Most bespectacled...Geoff Blethyn, Essendon, no contest.
Worst tattoos...Tom Liberatore, Bulldogs, from a big field.
Best entertainer... Mark Jackson, various, he was "an individual", that's for sure.
Showpony award...Warwick Capper, Swans, the "Wizz" was the "fizz", from a big field again.
Ciggies at half time award... "Bones" McGhie, Richmond,
Actual sharpie award..."Bones" McGhie, Richmond
Kick it to me or I'll sook award...Matthew Richardson, Richmond, then they'd kick it to him and he'd clanger it.
"He's a psychopath" Award...Robbie "Mad Dog" Muir, St. Kilda. A terrifying man when provoked.
Best bloodied face but played on award... Francis Bourke, Richmond. So bad they had to move him from full back to full forward! ( Has anyone ever got aids playing footy, ever, anywhere?)
Goofiest looking goof who could play a bit award... Justin Madden, Carlton, goose of a politician also.
Squirrel Gripper Award....Lou Richards, Collingwood, he was legendary for it.
If it isn't obvious, I'm a bit bored atm.
There's more of them in me.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 10:53pm

Go for it adam12 great tangent

Best torpedo, stab pass, drop kick???

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 11:17pm

@Guy, ha! Don't get me going, I've gotta go to bed soon!
Best torp's gotta be Malcolm Blight

Although I remember as a kid, Richmond full back Dick Clay used to land them on the other side of the center square consistently on kick outs.
He was a weapon.
Best passer I've ever seen is my man Dusty again

Drop kickers...I'm sure there were a few back before my time, but the best at it I saw was probably Barry Cable, a good example about the 20 sec mark here...

Although old mate Barry was apparently a bit of a pedo at the time, he could drop kick.
I love the drop kick, wish it was still in the game.
I used to love doing them.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 11:17pm

What year did the drop kick die?

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 11:21pm
seeds wrote:

What year did the drop kick die?

Around '77/'78 Seeds.
Robert Walls when coaching Richmond was credited for it, the rest followed soon after

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 11:26pm

Righto. About the time I started playing as a 6 year old in Sale. Still remember doing them a couple years later mucking around but never in training or games.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Jul 2024 at 11:33pm

"Best mullet" is a big field, with some recent notables, the mullet is a bit like AC/DC and from the same era in Australian culture. Our gifts to the world from 1970's Australia.
Gary Ayres of Hawthorn for mine on that one.
Can't believe I didn't think of the mullet in my above post.
But enough of this for now, gotta get some zzz's.
Good fun!

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 9:31am

..... the disciples ;)

https://m.

&pp=ygULYWZsIG11bGxldHM%3D

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 9:35am

Biggest arse Jason Dunstall and Peter Hudson (Haw)
Best and Fairest Player never to win a Brownlow Robbie Flower (Melb))
Filthy Players who did win Brownlows Greg Williams (Carl) and Robert DiPierdomenico (Haw)
Suspected steroids use Renee Kink (Coll/Ess) Mickey Conlon (Fitz)
Biggest kick it to me kick it to me dummy spit you didn't kick it to me Matthew Richardson and Jack Riewoldt (Rich)
Best centre half forward Royce Hart (Rich)
Biggest goal hungry player Kevin Bartlett (Rich)
Worst hair ^^
Biggest and safest hands Stewart Loewe (StK)
Scariest player ever Tony Lockett(StK/Syd)
In the eye of a storm giant among giants award Nicky Winmar(StK)
Worst ground Moorabbin (Stk)
Best drop kick Barry Davies (Ess/Nth)
Filthy players award special mention to the majority of the Hawthorn team of the 80's
Best comedic award week in week out for the majority of his coaching career Mick Malthouse
The worst decision by an AFL administrator in the entire history of the game Ross Oakley for letting Fitzroy fold
The leakiest most illegal (ASDA law) dodgiest low down AFL administrator in the entire history of the game Andrew Demetriou during the Ess drug saga

that's enough for the moment ........ praise the afl gods

edit one more

Best smoko night entertainment award at a country footy club goes to Gerry Gee and Ron Blaskett ... seriously funny but nothing like his Tarax Show days

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 10:31am

^ covered almost everything there @Guy ;)

.... & a special mention goes to gary ablett jr with his otherworldly performance that resulted in an eternal nomination for best lead in a non fiction animated action / drama story for the ages ;);)

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 10:36am

Something seems off. How did Jesus find guys named John, James, Matthew, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, and Simon Peter in the Middle East?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 10:36am

Best pinch/nipple crippler- tied Tony Liberatore/Ryan Crowley

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 10:39am

Think they were not bad at the squirrel grip too.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 10:48am

;);)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 12:36pm
burleigh wrote:

Something seems off. How did Jesus find guys named John, James, Matthew, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, and Simon Peter in the Middle East?

Its not as silly question as it might sound, the old testament was written in Hebrew a Canaanite language that Israeli's and Jews still use today.

But the new testament was mostly written in Greek as it was written after the death of Jesus so the Roman empire had already been in power for a hundred years or so and Hebrew and Aramaic were forbidden from being used. (typical colonisation tactics)

Much of the names we know are just translation's of Hebrew or Aramaic names, although some are also Greek names.

So the names in original text are not what we know today, so for instance John is really Johanan.

Cant be bothered googling what the others are, but you get the jist.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 12:42pm

;)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 12:43pm

;);)

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 12:49pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Its not as silly question as it might sound, the old testament was written in Hebrew a Canaanite language that Israeli's and Jews still use today.

But the new testament was mostly written in Greek as it was written after the death of Jesus so the Roman empire had already been in power for a hundred years or so and Hebrew and Aramaic were forbidden from being used. (typical colonisation tactics)

Much of the names we know are just translation's of Hebrew or Aramaic names, although some are also Greek names.

So the names in original text are not what we know today, so for instance John is really Johanan.

Cheers Indo.

Love a good fictional book.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 12:52pm

;);)

&pp=ygUWaGFycnkgcG90dGVyIGluIGlzcmFlbA%3D%3D

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 12:59pm

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 1:13pm

;)

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 7:30pm
burleigh wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Cheers Indo.

Like following Trump eh lol ;)

Still waiting on what church you went to that strongly encouraged you to give money?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 7:58pm
ashsam wrote:
burleigh wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Cheers Indo.

Still waiting on what church you went to that strongly encouraged you to give money?

I dont go to church. I own all my mistakes and if I need help I see a therapist, not an imaginary thing in the sky. It’s cheaper than your church donations.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 8:03pm

I dont know about all churches but i know most of the Pentecostal ones encourage you to give money, I could be wrong but some versus in the bible say something about.

I had to go to church as a kid and parents tried to make me give 10% of my pocket money i hated it, i use to argue with my parents about it, ha ha i even remember pretending i put my money in the container and having it still in my pocket :D

I also remember seeing Dad drop big notes in the container passed around, i also remember them trying to get money in a container passed around for new building fund etc

I kind of get it, they needed money to run, some churches also do good things for the community, but its also pretty clear many like Hillsong are just business out to make money and attract scammers.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 9:02pm

Coaster's picture
Coaster's picture
Coaster Tuesday, 30 Jul 2024 at 10:07pm

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Wednesday, 31 Jul 2024 at 7:04am
burleigh wrote:
ashsam wrote:
burleigh wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Cheers Indo.

I dont go to church. I own all my mistakes and if I need help I see a therapist, not an imaginary thing in the sky. It’s cheaper than your church donations.

Who said I donate to a church? You have a lot of assumptions Burleigh about things you know nothing about. Maybe stick to your vax posts you are just trolling in here.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Friday, 2 Aug 2024 at 9:06am

Was standin in line yesterday early morn at the DMV. (stands for California Departmemt of Motor Vehicles.)
Thought they opened at 0800.
Turned out they open at 0900.
I did not know that because i am a cad and a ne’er do well.
Dunno what excuses the others had, because there were a lot of us, standin there.
Once i realized i was gonna stand in place for a damned hour, i turned to folks behind me, for chat.
Nice start to it all. Everyone polite and mannerable and such, i was so tired that at one point i allowed an exchange of phone numbers.
They were, after all, really nice, gentle folk.
I could see that they were Church Folk.
I grew up in a Church setting.
Was an alter boy.
So, i easily recognize em and am comfortable enough around em.
The patriarch, kinda suddenly, was inspired to share with me his library of musical works through his phone.
He, it turned out, is a multi instrumentalist, and quite talented, if i can say so.
So, now, suddenly, we are listenin to songs he wrote with titles like How Great Is Thy Fathers Love and If Your Father Is Love Then Love Is Your Father.
He was really a nice guy.
If i didn’t recognize what Church Folk means, i would not have understood how he could not understand that not everyone in line would wanna hear his masterpieces.
But, i do understand.
And, so, i was not fazed at all when talk turned to the current Plight Of Things here in The Great And Venerated State of California.
He sidled towards me, The Patriarch.
He lowered his voice, and conspiratorial, and, more importantly, coercively, wondered if i’d noticed the huge population of “browns” in the State. (and that is what he said. “Browns.”) I replied that, since they had been here before me, i had always noticed their presence.
This was the exit i knew was coming.
Too bad, too.
They were really nice people.

He texted me today to ponder whether or not i had found Jesus, in my life.
I am in the Planning Stages of my reply.
(i might go real gentle. they were so nice.)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 2 Aug 2024 at 9:28am

I'd just write back 'I didn't know he was lost, did you look between the cushions?

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 2 Aug 2024 at 9:45am

- haha, my lawd that's a great story @wax, & sage advice too @zen ;)
....wax u could also mention to the bloke that, like the browns, some good jebus tunes were here before the great pretending patriarchal pop revolution :

- & if all else fails..... send him this clip below haha... tell him u have, in fact, found jebus and didn't quite know he was such a loving badass and was also able to impart the holy spirit with such skill and finesse ;);)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 2 Aug 2024 at 10:51am

?si=rhwcK8-5V0KyD3jP

Elvis and gospel are like peace and carrots.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 2 Aug 2024 at 2:41pm

You should have said…” what? Brown like Jesus”….then he may have learnt something.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 2 Aug 2024 at 6:46pm
wax24 wrote:

Was standin in line yesterday early morn at the DMV. (stands for California Departmemt of Motor Vehicles.)
Thought they opened at 0800.
Turned out they open at 0900.
I did not know that because i am a cad and a ne’er do well.
Dunno what excuses the others had, because there were a lot of us, standin there.
Once i realized i was gonna stand in place for a damned hour, i turned to folks behind me, for chat.
Nice start to it all. Everyone polite and mannerable and such, i was so tired that at one point i allowed an exchange of phone numbers.
They were, after all, really nice, gentle folk.
I could see that they were Church Folk.
I grew up in a Church setting.
Was an alter boy.
So, i easily recognize em and am comfortable enough around em.
The patriarch, kinda suddenly, was inspired to share with me his library of musical works through his phone.
He, it turned out, is a multi instrumentalist, and quite talented, if i can say so.
So, now, suddenly, we are listenin to songs he wrote with titles like How Great Is Thy Fathers Love and If Your Father Is Love Then Love Is Your Father.
He was really a nice guy.
If i didn’t recognize what Church Folk means, i would not have understood how he could not understand that not everyone in line would wanna hear his masterpieces.
But, i do understand.
And, so, i was not fazed at all when talk turned to the current Plight Of Things here in The Great And Venerated State of California.
He sidled towards me, The Patriarch.
He lowered his voice, and conspiratorial, and, more importantly, coercively, wondered if i’d noticed the huge population of “browns” in the State. (and that is what he said. “Browns.”) I replied that, since they had been here before me, i had always noticed their presence.
This was the exit i knew was coming.
Too bad, too.
They were really nice people.

He texted me today to ponder whether or not i had found Jesus, in my life.
I am in the Planning Stages of my reply.
(i might go real gentle. they were so nice.)

I dare you to reply and be a little nice, then poke the bear a little, I’d be interested in their reply. AW

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 2 Aug 2024 at 6:58pm

I reckon go with the music option, to reciprocate the act of giving ;)

..... as is written :
- "And do not forget to do good and to share with others....."

;);)

&pp=ygUQamVzdXMgc29uZyBmdW5ueQ%3D%3D

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 2 Aug 2024 at 11:22pm

Plenty of 'browns' in my State too Waxy.
They try to keep to themselves.
Gotta watch out for them in the hotter months though.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Saturday, 3 Aug 2024 at 5:18am

Cheers Toobie. I almost fell outa my chair laughing at that bit.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Saturday, 3 Aug 2024 at 5:28am

So, i haven’t been able to visit SwellNetVille since i posted that story, but i can report, now, on a result.
I started with a text.
I layed out MY spiritual path and assured him that, while we are after alot of the same things, we come at This Front from different positions, geography, demography, loddie, loddie, loo.
It required 2 phone calls beyond that.
The first, was a vocal rendering of the mild text.
The second, i am confident, assures that i won’t be explaining myself to him again.
Gawd help his Patriarchy.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 3 Aug 2024 at 4:08pm

your stories are crackerjack @wax - loved that one about meeting the politician, too!

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Saturday, 3 Aug 2024 at 4:54pm

Hey Waxy

Like Base6 , hearing about your ":grass roots " politician was great , made me remember Old Doug Anthony , as I was in New Brighton today .

He and his wife , had their holiday house in the village and were always very approachable and friendly .

Things are different in the Country .

People Know each other , much more .

The US has a lot more Country People , than we do .

I like a little bit country !