Undergound heroes

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Tuesday, 4 Mar 2014 at 5:08pm

Every surf community has them. They rip. They rip big time. But no accolades, no hype, no sponsors, just memories scarred into fellow surfers minds of these guys catching and tearing "your local" apart. They are usually humble, friendly characters.
In a "music sense", they are the "Minor threats", the "Where's the pope's", "Depression". Some even got a bit of airplay like "Cosmic Psychos"....
My underground hero would have to be "Spart", short for Sparticus... One of my best mates for life.... Taught me so much back in the 90s... With his guidance, I went from an "intermediate surfer" to a charger capable of holding my own, and even turning a few heads at our boardriders in Coolum..... A hard marker, no compliments. Always pretended he didn't see that "off the lip", be he did :). At 6 foot3, (I'm 6.1), he showed me how to rip small stuff, and not do that stupid "hop". I won't share his tip, one of the best small wave/ big man tips I've ever had.
And could the guy rip...... Fuck could he rip....... Was not on 1, not 2 , but 3 tracks covers in the 70/80s, all at Anga'. Surfed 12 -15foot Sunset in the pro class trials as a teenager...... Beat Ratso Buchanan for the Kiwi open..... A freekn legend in NZ....
One massive swell at Point Perry Coolum, he just put everyone to the sword, never forget that day, He owned Cyclonic ti tree, Platforms.
He had a massive heart attack a couple of years back. Artery so collapsed they couldn't put a stent in. No more surfing.......... Still fixes boards up on the hill at Coolum. Still has a laugh......
Greg "Spart" Rhodes, you're my undergound hero,,,, "boy".... Miss ya Bro'.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 7:55am
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 12:09pm

Eddie would go

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 10:19am

Agree re Reevso Camel, always in the lineup and still ripping and getting the best set waves!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 2:16pm
trippergreenfeet wrote:

48 Hours at Desert Point

http://issuu.com/andyford/docs/48hoursatdesertpoint

AWesome read TGF, loved it.

AbsBlabs's picture
AbsBlabs's picture
AbsBlabs Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 8:46am
hippys wrote:

straight up Craig Walgers radical , beautiful to watch .

Hello hippys, I am wondering if the Craig Walgers you mention is my uncle. Can you give me any more information as I would be interested to find out if it is him. I never met him and he has passed away.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 9:52am

@Abs,

Without speaking for Hippys I'd be almost positive he is referring to him. Only one fella of note named Craig Walgers in surfdom that I'm aware of. Standout QLD junior of the early to mid-80s. Contemporary to Kong, in fact Craig was his Gold Coast connection and Kong lived with him when he first moved down from the Sunny Coast.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 4:27pm

Sheepdog wrote:

One of the "younger" blokes in Coolum (shit, he'd be mid 30s at least now) who can still "knock the top off it" is a bloke named Chris Kendall. Top bloke too. Had some funny times round at Fergos place. FERGO!!!!!!!! Chris never went hardcore on the comp scene. But he still dominates at the local boardriders. He's just happy being the family man, running the coolum surf school..... Makin' a buck outa the thing he loves....

Surfed Cloudbreak with Chris the other day SD. Nice fella, lovely style. 

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 6:31pm

Smooth, aye Stunet..... Pretty mean pool player, too.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 7:13pm

What was Cloudbreak like Stu ?

Crowded ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 7:31pm

Blowin wrote:

What was Cloudbreak like Stu ? Crowded ?

Fucken unreal. For some reason our boat driver didn't want to leave till 7:30 in the morning so we got out there a fair while after sun up. At the time I didn't mind too much, with it being a new swell I figured there'd be an armada of boats in the channel, but rocked up and there was just one boat and a lone goofyfoot in the line up getting shacked senseless. 

Reckon I broke all records getting my fins in that morning. Surfed for a while with just a handful of us, the crowd slowly increasing, topping out around 20-25 guys. Wasnt a hassle though, only a few fellas were going the sets.

So yeah, it was pretty damn good and it wasn't too crowded.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 8:40pm

Sounds good.

That's the life.

david_at_LPC's picture
david_at_LPC's picture
david_at_LPC Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 12:33pm
sidthefish wrote:

ok, back in the Tardis... and back to Sunny Coast, see Noosa.

any of you guys remember Bruce Marion and Keith Martin, prolly way back in your childhood.

sidthefish,

Are you still around??? this thread was a while ago ... I am trying to contact Keith Martin, mention above in this discussion ... for a 50th reunion. could you please email me at [email protected] and sent me your email so I might swap phone numbers with you so we can have a yarn??
David

david_at_LPC's picture
david_at_LPC's picture
david_at_LPC Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 12:35pm
brutus wrote:

Keith Martin spent a long time down here surfing with Wayne and Co......very good surfer,loved barrels

brutus,

Are you still around??? this thread was a while ago ... I am trying to contact Keith Martin, mention above in this discussion ... for a 50th reunion. could you please email me at [email protected] and sent me your email so I might swap phone numbers with you so we can have a yarn??
David