Latest on wetsuits.....

kooklife's picture
kooklife started the topic in Wednesday, 14 Apr 2021 at 5:12am

So its that time of the year again where the mornings are getting fresher and the offshores are starting to show. It looks like its been a couple of years since there was a discussion about it so I am looking for wetsuit recommendations.....

Whats everyone wearing/buying or not wearing/buying and why?

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Sunday, 2 Jun 2024 at 7:10pm

It's getting colder and water is starting to seep in to my wetty. Any updates on tech or further recommendations anyone? I've use Ripcurl almost exclusively for steamers over many years, but I nearly choked on my cornflakes looking at the price of this one.

https://www.ripcurl.com/au/flashbomb-fusion-4-3mm-zip-free-wetsuit-steam...

Time to switch brands I reckon....Two and a half Needs for the price of one Rip curl?

https://needessentials.com/products/5-4mm-premium-thermal-chest-zip-wetsuit

any suggestions welcome.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 2 Jun 2024 at 7:30pm
icandig wrote:

It's getting colder and water is starting to seep in to my wetty. Any updates on tech or further recommendations anyone? I've use Ripcurl almost exclusively for steamers over many years, but I nearly choked on my cornflakes looking at the price of this one.

https://
www.ripcurl.com/au/flashbomb-fusion-4-3mm-zip-free-wetsuit-steamer.html?...

Time to switch brands I reckon....Two and a half Needs for the price of one Rip curl?

https://needessentials.com/products/5-4mm-premium-thermal-chest-zip-wetsuit

any suggestions welcome.

Icandig. Hi mate

I trialled a Patagonia R2 Regulator yesterday in that wonky cold windy surf on the SCoast. Chest zip entry, 3.5mm in the chest, 3mm in the legs, I’m a bag of bones , I feel the cold easy, no problem at all, warm as toast.
The rubber is derived from the latex of a desert plant , type of daisy ( Parthenium sp.) very flexible compared to previous iterations, light in weight and very warm, a new inner fleece lining gave me a dry warm feeling. Thoroughly recommend these suits. AW

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Sunday, 2 Jun 2024 at 8:12pm

Thanks AW. Still $800 bucks though?

https://www.patagonia.com.au/products/mens-r2-yulex-regulator-front-zip-...

I do like the idea of Yulex and " Made in a Fair Trade Certified™ factory." though.

Anyone got a theory on the above? Greenwashers or ridgy didge?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 2 Jun 2024 at 8:26pm

I bought a Yulex Project Blank. Super warm but I swear it’s the wrong size as it’s the tightest and least flexible wettie I’ve warm in a very long time. Been MT size all my life and this one just feels way too tight and
Inflexible. Gives me a bastard rash under my arms too.

Just can’t recommend.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 2 Jun 2024 at 8:37pm
icandig wrote:

I do like the idea of Yulex and " Made in a Fair Trade Certified™ factory." though.

Icandig. I usually surf twice a day in Winter, I always have a bevy of dry suits for the arvo shift. I also have a Needs 4/3 Chest Zip Yulex and a 5/4 thermal chest zip as you’ve described, I wore them last year especially, July, August when the wind speed is a bit more accelerated .
5/4 I found heavy and lacked flexibility for obvious reasons( more rubber) but still very warm. The 4/3mm easier to paddle but I often felt cold after awhile.
Good suit, only pitfalls, I found it a bit heavy.

Years ago I had a Patagonia equivalent to a 4/3 with the then New Zealand lambswool lining, its was warm but not flexible, after I few years it leaked.

I’d spend the money on a Patagonia suit, ironclad guarantee and after sales service.

Over the Summer just gone I wore different types of Patagonia suits, in my opinion they’ve stepped up in rubber technology , flexibility and comfort. Price is high I understand, but ultimately it’s worth it.
They provide great care information for suit cleaning and storing, especially Winter suits stored over Summer.
Come August I’ll buy a R3 suit, 4/3mm to see how it goes.
All the best.AW

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Sunday, 2 Jun 2024 at 9:17pm

Think I’d give winter a miss if had to wear those.
Still in a 2mm short arms/legs springy here.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Sunday, 2 Jun 2024 at 9:27pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
icandig wrote:

Icandig. I usually surf twice a day in Winter, I always have a bevy of dry suits for the arvo shift. I also have a Needs 4/3 Chest Zip Yulex and a 5/4 thermal chest zip as you’ve described, I wore them last year especially, July, August when the wind speed is a bit more accelerated .
5/4 I found heavy and lacked flexibility for obvious reasons( more rubber) but still very warm. The 4/3mm easier to paddle but I often felt cold after awhile.

Years ago I had a Patagonia equivalent to a 4/3 with the then New Zealand lambswool lining, its was warm but not flexible, after I few years it leaked.

I’d spend the money on a Patagonia suit, ironclad guarantee and after sales service.

Over the Summer just gone I wore different types of Patagonia suits, in my opinion they’ve stepped up in rubber technology , flexibility and comfort. Price is high I understand, but ultimately it’s worth it.
They provide great care information for suit cleaning and storing, especially Winter suits stored over Summer.
All the best.AW

Have you ever tried their 2mm lite suits, half price on sale now.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Sunday, 2 Jun 2024 at 10:18pm
ashsam wrote:

@ashsam. Don't think 2mm is gunna cut it. Cheers for the positive review AW....I'll dig a little deeper. I have a bit of a leaning to Patagonia...from what I know, they kind of give a shit and they do promise good after sales service. Rip Curl used to, but I'm not sure its as good as it used to be.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 8:05am
icandig wrote:
ashsam wrote:

@ashsam. Don't think 2mm is gunna cut it. Cheers for the positive review AW....I'll dig a little deeper. I have a bit of a leaning to Patagonia...from what I know, they kind of give a shit and they do promise good after sales service. Rip Curl used to, but I'm not sure its as good as it used to be.

I am on NC all you need on a nice sunny day

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 8:12am
icandig wrote:

Needs Yulex FTW.

They've also improved the liner in their Yulex steamers. My last Yulex steamer (black liner) was entering its third season of heavy use, but I relegated it to a backup and got a new one (green liner). I've been using it the last few weeks and no complaints at all; feels solid, no flush through despite being zipper-less, and warm as toast.

Last spring I got one of their Yulex vests with green liner and wore that every day up till recently and it held up well. Dries quicker than first gen Yulex. Can't see any use for neoprene anymore.

I've heard some people have issues with their sizing but that hasn't been my experience.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 8:17am

Are the half price Patagonia yulex’s online, that have been like that for a while, the ones people had trouble with?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 8:20am
stunet wrote:
icandig wrote:

Needs Yulex FTW.

They've also improved the liner in their Yulex steamers. My last Yulex steamer (black liner) was entering its third season of heavy use, but I relegated it to a backup and got a new one (green liner). I've been using it the last few weeks and no complaints at all; feels solid, no flush through despite being zipper-less, and warm as toast.

Last spring I got one of their Yulex vests with green liner and wore that every day up till recently and it held up well. Dries quicker than first gen Yulex. Can't see any use for neoprene anymore.

I've heard some people have issues with their sizing but that hasn't been my experience.

Yup the new ones are pretty good. However, they take a while to dry here in Vic and the Yulex stretches (and does not rebound) after a while. This is more of a problem when my young lad wears it - he is 3" taller and 10 kg heavier than me. They don't seem to make XXXL suits in his price range.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 8:22am

@ Stu I was just looking at them in 2mm. Only short sleeve in 2mm. I like a full arm. Out of stock anyways most sizes.
@asham thanks for heads up on Patagonia sale. Unfortunately my size out of stock also

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 8:53am

I was pretty disappointed in the Patagonia 4/3 I bought in 2019.
Found it stiff and it developed a hole in the nether regions which I sent back to them to be fixed.
First surf back after repairs and cold water straight in the same area. Didn’t fix it…

Maybe the new versions are better?the Needs Yulex sounds good though Stu

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 9:01am
icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 9:04am
goofyfoot wrote:

Found it stiff and it developed a hole in the nether regions which I sent back to them to be fixed.
First surf back after repairs and cold water straight in the same area. Didn’t fix it…

So much to unpack here. So many sexual innuendos. " Found it stiff, a hole in the nether regions?" Are you transitioning GF, or maybe you are blessed with XL appendages which contribute to the wear and tear?

Thanks for all of the advice guys...toss up between Needs and Patagonia...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 9:16am
icandig wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

So much to unpack here. So many sexual innuendos. " Found it stiff, a hole in the nether regions?" Are you transitioning GF, or maybe you are blessed with XL appendages which contribute to the wear and tear?

Thanks for all of the advice guys...toss up between Needs and Patagonia...

Well a gentleman never tells icandig…

Although my O’Neill 4/3 now has a hole under my armpit…
Make of that what you will.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 9:21am
goofyfoot wrote:

Although my O’Neill 4/3 now has a hole under my armpit…

?

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 9:22am

I need to grow up.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 9:31am

Are you sure there's not a hole in the arse, it could come in handy.
I love my 3/2 dawn patrol, keeps me toasty warm all winter and is way more comfy and less heavy than my old flash bombs.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 9:35am
basesix wrote:

https://lunasurf.com/lunasurf-mens-2mm-shorty-front-zip-wetsuit-yamamoto/
works out to $190

Luna is a good option if you cant afford the higher end Yamamoto suits like Isurus or Seventh Wave. Same neoprene. I got a 4/3 steamer a few years back. Chest zip design was a bit lacking so hopefully they've improved by now. Same warm flexible suit as the other high end suits.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 10:24am

I recently bought a 3/2 lined Needs. Had a top of the line 3/2 Rip Curl that leaked from early on. Pretty disappointed with it.

Needs is really warm and fits well. I’m in Vic and it’s doing the job still. Harder to paddle than the Rip Curl suit though. Not as flexy.

vicbloke's picture
vicbloke's picture
vicbloke Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 11:43am

I think RC still have 60% off their wetties at the outlet in Torquay if you are in the region.

Picked up a 4/3 hooded Vissla last winter and very happy with it. Maybe not as flexible as the RC but feels warmer compared to the RC and O'Neill I have.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 11:47am

Anyone know of any wetsuit repair kits that are available?

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 11:55am

@goofyfoot
- not sure how available they are these days, but ocean and earth have a little repair kit which includes a wetty fabric patch for ironing on where holes are. Also had adhesive glue which did the job, I got a cpl extra seasons outta a wetty thanks to it.

They're worth it for smaller holes etc, not sure how it'd work for damage that affects the integrity of seams etc

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 12:03pm

Awesome thanks. Yeah this oneill suit is only two years old and in perfect condition apart from a little hole under the arm.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 12:22pm
vicbloke wrote:

I think RC still have 60% off their wetties at the outlet in Torquay if you are in the region.

Yeah - that's where I've got my last few, normally last seasons (or older) or some other odd ones. Rasta in Barwon Heads used to be a good place to pick up cheaper suits as well. Just trying to get a feel for what's good. Keen to get in on new tech too... getting long in the tooth, feeling the cold a bit more than I used to.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 12:34pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

@goofyfoot
- not sure how available they are these days, but ocean and earth have a little repair kit which includes a wetty fabric patch for ironing on where holes are. Also had adhesive glue which did the job, I got a cpl extra seasons outta a wetty thanks to it.

They're worth it for smaller holes etc, not sure how it'd work for damage that affects the integrity of seams etc

Google is showing quite a few options these days.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 1:16pm
Bnkref wrote:

I recently bought a 3/2 lined Needs. Had a top of the line 3/2 Rip Curl that leaked from early on. Pretty disappointed with it.

Needs is really warm and fits well. I’m in Vic and it’s doing the job still. Harder to paddle than the Rip Curl suit though. Not as flexy.

It appears flexibility AND warmth are mutually exclusive. Warmth appears to come from the lesser flexible rubber/neoprene/yulex etc.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 1:25pm

Anyone know if a Patagonia XL sizing would be similar to a XL Ripcurl E-Bomb or O'Neil?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 1:30pm

Patagonia used to be similar to Ripcurl at that sizing, about 10 years ago. Havent had either since then so not sure if that still holds true.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 1:49pm
goofyfoot wrote:
Jelly Flater wrote:

@goofyfoot

Google is showing quite a few options these days.

Try this brand. Some brands are just glorified contact adhesive. Once you're done chuck it in the freezer and it should last until you next need it.
Screenshot-2024-06-03-131649

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 2:05pm

Can anyone recommend a quick drying boardshort that doesn’t get mould effected ? Just kidding. Got back in the water today and it was refreshingly cool .

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 2:22pm

@Supafreak, you poor bastard, it must be hell, did you have to wear a rashie? I feel for you.
Meanwhile in my house, the hooded 6/5's just got taken out of storage, new booties are on the shopping list and I'm writing this with two heaters blasting in my lounge room.
I bet you are jealous.

Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 2:36pm
adam12 wrote:

@Supafreak, you poor bastard, it must be hell, did you have to wear a rashie? I feel for you.
Meanwhile in my house, the hooded 6/5's just got taken out of storage, new booties are on the shopping list and I'm writing this with two heaters blasting in my lounge room.
I bet you are jealous.

Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 2:37pm

6/5 s
Where the hell are you Antarctica?
Oh wait nevermind...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 3:04pm
Lanky Dean wrote:

6/5 s
Where the hell are you Antarctica?
Oh wait nevermind...

Just to the north of Antarctica LD.
And as I got older I got less able to cope with the cold. July and August can be brutal, so I just went, "fuck it, give me the big boys".
Last year I even skipped the 4/3 and went straight from the 3/2 to the hooded bear suits, thought I'm gonna be there anyway so may as well get used to it.
I used to do Vic. winters in just a 4/3, no booties, dunno if it's age or what it is but I need more rubber now, all they've got. Don't wear gloves, but I've got a pair.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 4:44pm

“Hooded bear suits” got me laughing. Can you move in those things? Or do you feel it is limiting but sessions are too short otherwise?

?si=NMRPofoZ6BFV1whF
Adam’s first wave at 1:45

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 4:47pm

I complain about having to wear a 3/2 for a few months ;)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 5:00pm

I haven’t worn a wetty for 4 years but that correlates with my decline in surfing as in not much and no dawnies. Just boardies and 2mm top.
As this year I’m trying to reverse this I did just buy one of those Patagonia 2mm on sale. Possible problems being leg and arms possibly too long so went with short arm. Free exchange or refund made it a no brainer at that price.
Glad you mentioned it ashsam.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 6:05pm

Glad I could help you out seeds, was thinking of a short arm myself, have 2 steamers.
Got a bit cold in the springy after 2 hours this morning, just the wind water is good.
Let us know what you think when you get it.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 6:07pm

Does anyone still fix holes in wetties with dental floss, neoprene cement and/or patches cut from old stubby coolers?

Patches good for holes in spots where you don’t need too much flexibility or movement. Wouldn’t be great for armpit - might get a bit of chafing.

Dental floss is excellent for fixing busted zippers too.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 6:19pm

Etarip said
Dental floss is excellent for fixing busted zippers too.
Are you serious? As in unsticking salted up zips?
If so, genius. Applications for poorly maintained swags or tents that do beach use.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 6:44pm
adam12 wrote:

And as I got older I got less able to cope with the cold, (...) but I've got a pair.

the last 12 months have left me considering commissioning a 25/20 @adam (with 30 round the ankles), for midwinter 2024.. wanna go in ?
(craig's awesome ocean heatwave maps had a relentless blue triangle in my hood, which I can attest, was accurate)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 6:45pm

You could get a gig as the destructor in the next ghostbusters remake

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 6:53pm

mm, in white? epic.. that'd make tourists wonder what animal they're seeing from the lookout..
(that ali mills version of waltzing matilda is great!)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 6:54pm

Or Mr Burns

?si=hYxpWZDyjx175iCq

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 7:04pm
icandig wrote:
ashsam wrote:

Icandig. Hi , remiss of me to not let you know there is the Patagonia Seconds and Factory outlet in Geelong.
Maybe try there. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 7:07pm
ashsam wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
icandig wrote:

All the best.AW

Ashsam. Hi mate. You bet, I love the R1 2mm Lite chest zip wetsuit, so flexible it feels like a compression suit.
Wore it right across the Bight back in January, didn’t even feel like I was wearing a wetsuit. Good stuff. AW

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Monday, 3 Jun 2024 at 7:52pm

Thanks @AW - Moorabool St?
**also edit...Tonic in Barwon Heads, not Rasta.