Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 11:43am

He looked very uneasy in his interactions with Widodo on.the news last night.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 11:57am

Viclocal - This is a good example to see if you hold a fellow leftist to account or ditch her .

"Kate Langbroek doubles down on her controversial views of the Covid vaccine - after slamming 'repugnant' bosses who force staff to get jabbed or face the sack"

"'I'm not for mandatory vaccines for work,' she said in the tense standoff.

'I'm not an anti-vaxxer but I'm just very uncomfortable prescribing to people mandatorily what they have to put in their bodies in order to work."

Daily Mail .

I applaud her views ! I hold her to account on many of her views but not this one .

Do you support her having her own views or are you ditching her completely ?

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 12:10pm

Looks very chummy with Bolsonaro.

What a farce this is hey? But while we're here, let's be productive, and have our own summit. I'll explain to you how it works with the Amazon and my agribusiness companheiros, and you can tell me about the deal with your mates in gas and coal. And the ones in the jeans and cowboy hats? The Nationals? Yeah, I like these guys!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 12:10pm

Celebrity non-entity whose brother is a Liberal MP in Queensland is a left winger ......... ha ha ha

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 12:13pm
Supafreak wrote:

@ Brutus , the photo in the article from the age that you posted, looks like scot no friends is on the nod . 28-C37-D2-B-0-CF9-4-D16-AB6-E-531911-EA926-A

Supayafreak.....been reading the French news a bit , and yeah Scomo/Australia will now have to earn back the trust that was given...so meanwhile he is being treated like a leper as was Dan Tehan when he flew to Brussels a mth ago to continue the Free trade agreement between Australia and Europe......no one would meet with old Dan , answer his calls.....so yeah Scomo burnt a bridge....to our 2nd biggest market of 450 m people...but more importantly , is investment into Australia has had a big down turn also......so it was/is a lose /lose for Australia....and will be for some time!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 12:16pm
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Supa - you are right . That's why the Age published it . There would have been a lot of pictures of him talking with others but they want him perceived as having no friends .

Very normal behaviour that their readers love , respect and expect .

Is this an old photo ? I thought the only photographer was the one Scotty took with him. Is this correct ?

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 12:17pm

I think Hutchy's point is that public policy in Australia would be greatly improved if members of FM breakfast crews were shaping the national discourse.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 12:44pm

Interesting reading the comments in the age article and those replying to this tweet.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 12:55pm

Roker - they would do a better job than Vivlocal . He said the Europeans would star applying tariffs to Australian imports . Lucky he is not a diplomate or a senior military figure as Australia would be surrendering at the drop of a ( European ) hat .

As Brutus is also worried about this and were talking about Europe on this thread I thought I would re post the facts about our trade with the Europeans .

"The European Commission is due to propose its carbon border tariff policy on July 14, a move designed to put EU firms on an equal footing with competitors in countries with weaker carbon policies than those of the bloc."

So the EC finally agree that being green is more costly . Thanks for the link as I missed this . I would hope that it is not WAY more costly otherwise an equal footing may make a slight difference . Ha ha .

You really need to get a brain and try to think before posting .

The EU have already stopped talking to us due to the sub deal .

If there IS tariffs placed on our coal ( won't happen imo as our coal is the best quality so less dirty ) and minerals like gold who the fuck cares . Gold is sold the world over at the same price . Same with other metals and coal . No tariffs !!!!

"Australia’s two-way goods trade with the European Union (EU) was valued at $69.3 billion in
2016 and accounted for almost 15 per cent of Australia’s total goods trade.
Australia recorded a net goods trade deficit of $28.7 billion in 2016.
In terms of sectors, Australia was a net importer of Agriculture, forestry and fisheries and
Manufactures products from the EU while it was a net exporter of Minerals and fuels and
Other goods (mainly gold).
Australia’s major goods exports to the EU were gold, coal and oil seeds, while the major
imports from the EU were passenger motor vehicles, medicaments and pharmaceutical
products."

We can put tariffs on their cars and medical products that we CAN buy elsewhere . Fuck French Oak . We grow Oak here . Fuck Truffles . They are a winter food and we grow them here . Same with fish . We grow wonderful salmon and kingfish . Clean Seas will be selling Australian grown kingfish through Woolies soon ( I declare an interest . Have bought CSS for clients a few months ago ) .

If the EU place tariffs on us and we retaliate THEY will be worse off . We buy more from them than they do from us . That is the definition of a deficit . Such a big fat stick ha ha .

That IS a FACT !

Bring on a trade war EU . Like bringing a knife to a gunfight .

The Europeans were always good at starting wars . We had to help them win and finish them .

https://www.dfat.gov.au/sites/default/files/australias-goods-trade-with-...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 1:17pm

The most secretive government in Australian history hides the science.

"In 2019, Professor Don Driscoll of Melbourne’s Deakin University and immediate past president of the Ecological Society of Australia, surveyed 220 Australian ecologists, conservation scientists, conservation policymakers and environmental consultants. The results, published this year in the international science journal Conservation Letters, found that one-third of government employees who responded had experienced “undue interference” when it came to public communications about their research.

Fifty-two per cent of government respondents had been prevented from publicly sharing scientific information. Of these, 82 per cent had been constrained by senior managers and 63 per cent by a minister’s office. For those respondents who had communicated scientific information in the public domain, 42 per cent reported being harassed or criticised for doing so. Just over half of respondents (56 per cent) believed that the suppression of scientific communications had worsened over recent years.

Some of the quotes to emerge from the study were deeply disturbing:

I was directly intimidated by phone and Twitter by [a senior federal public servant].

Not being able to speak out meant that no one in the process was willing or able to advocate for conservation or make the public aware of the problem.

It feels terrible to know the truth about impacts to the environment, but know you’ll never get that truth to the public and that the government doesn’t care at all. They want us to give them politically supportive information, not science.

I feel resentment when I am expected to “toe the line” and support decisions I consider wrong and not in the best interest of the environment and not based on sound scientific data.

I felt I was effectively lying by not revealing a major environmental threat, as if complicit in a crime."

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2021/november/1635685200/anthony-ham...

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 1:33pm
Supafreak wrote:

Interesting reading the comments in the age article and those replying to this tweet. https://twitter.com/itsbouquet/status/1454589556829790215?s=21

where do ya find this shit supayafreak....LOL!!!

It's so funny when you read about Australia starting a trade war...with China/Europe now possibly the USA as ol' Scomo has called Biden a liar in public......I mean the arrogance that Scomo's currently exhibiting is beyond anything i could imagine ....ostracising Australia from our biggest trading partners , dreaming of Nuclear , a pipedream......saying we need different subs now....so WTF with spending $2.3b to find out we need nuclear , burn France/Europe , now piss off the USA/China.......I mean when are we going to war with India???
.https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/31/scott-morrison-co...

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 2:14pm

Blind Boy - you are just too funny with what you post .

" surveyed 220 Australian ecologists, conservation scientists, conservation policymakers and environmental consultants. The results, published this year in the international science journal Conservation Letters, found that one-third of government employees who responded had experienced “undue interference” when it came to public communications about their research."

Let me explain what this survey should tell us .

As we all know the group were biased to a Green View . That is what they need to do their jobs and so are rightly biased .

Their definition of "undue influence " would be that they were told that their scientific information was not peer reviewed and probably garbage .

Their view , this is very funny , "It feels terrible to know the truth about impacts to the environment ", actually means I know best and am right . Your my boss so WTF would you know .

The next comment needs no clarification " I feel resentment when I am expected to “toe the line” and support decisions I consider wrong ."

The poor , poor petals !

The Don has found 220 fellow petals , gave them a survey designed to give him answers he wanted because he also felt he had undue influence placed on him and didn't toe the line . He is just throwing a little tantrum . It happens all the time with this type . Don't worry so much .

The funniest thing is that then the Blind one assumes , because of this charade and tantrum , the government is the MOST secretive in our history .

BB - those of use who HAVE lived in the REAL world are not so easily deceived . We know how the game is played . You let them throw their tantrum , think nothing of it and move onto important things .
It really is quite easy .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 2:19pm

The usual nonsense from the usual suspect based on nothing but his latest brain fart.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 2:23pm

Blind one and EVERONE else - I did not get personal and did not say this ( below ) about BB's post . Please be fair BB and not misquote me . I could have but it is not my style .

"The usual nonsense from the usual suspect based on nothing but the hot air emanating from his orifices"

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 2:25pm

Baked beans for breakfast AGAIN Hutchy

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 2:32pm

Not quite but your best guess yet . For lunch I had 3 eggs , bacon and a small tin of BB's BB .

BB's don't make me fart though . You sometimes cause a bit of nausea though .

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 3:17pm

If you were the shadow attorney general and you've stated that the government is 'completely out of control' and is about to try to gazette 'terrifying... heinous laws' which are 'an assault to all freedom loving Australians' then at such a weighty moment, your commitment to the public good and the fight against authoritarianism would prevent you from any behaviour which might run the risk of 'serious error of judgement'. Guess not.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 3:25pm

BB - You think this cover up is comparable to Watergate . I don't .

The survey was obviously very poorly written as it didn't get the desired outcome Don wanted .

Two thirds of the respondents felt they were being listened to . Two thirds felt they were not resentful when asked to "toe the line" .

Two thirds felt their version of the truth was getting out .

BB - If you knew anything about secretive states you would KNOW that two thirds don't get their view heard . Maybe 1% and it usually costs them their life .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 3:33pm

You have no understanding of the practice or ethical standards of science......and so you are, yet again, talking nonsense.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 3:50pm

BB- you don't need to understand the practice and ethical standards of science to read a bloody survey or read between the lines .

The REAL world teaches you to do that .

You write absolute BS and think it makes you look smart . Sorry but the opposite is true .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 3:54pm

Ha ha ha, the real world where men are men and scientists are girlie boys? Priceless.
Thanks mate, you're always good for a laugh.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 5:44pm

I believe the correct term is Economic Girly Men.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 6:20pm

Seems as good a place as any for this. Heard it at the end of a truly excellent discussion by Tracey Holmes on her "The ticket" podcast.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYWJjLm5ldC5hdS9yYWRpby9...

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 31 Oct 2021 at 6:58pm

Haha yes spot on Blackers. Describes the usual suspects on these forums perfectly

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 8:17am

Scumo seems a bit desperate at the moment . From watching his performance on the morning news accusing France off slandering Australia , WTF . How did Macron accusing Scumo of lying suddenly become France slandering Australia ? Is Scumo trying to get everyone in Australia to hate France ? He seems desperate to me .

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 8:30am
Supafreak wrote:

Scumo seems a bit desperate at the moment . From watching his performance on the morning news accusing France off slandering Australia , WTF . How did Macron accusing Scumo of lying suddenly become France slandering Australia ? Is Scumo trying to get everyone in Australia to hate France ? He seems desperate to me .

hey yafreak........Yeah Macron made it clear that his comments were aimed at Scomo and not Australia.....Macron made it clear that Scomo lied about the sub deal to him, Biden made it clear to Macron that he thought Australia had notified France......watched the French news yesterday and the French are now saying Scomo's denials of lying is actually accusing Macron of being a liar!
So now Scomo is on the World stage as Australia's PM , no-one wants to talk to him , he's getting the cold shoulder because he has lost the trust and respect of all our allies and major trading partners........and can anyone explain why we spent $2.3 b and will have to pay another $400 m in penalties....to find out we need a different technology submarine.

I am really wondering if the French are in the process of torpedoing ol' Scomo's election chances......the old bloke from marketing just found out ...marketing bullshit just doesn't work on the World stage!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 8:33am

Scomo is an absolute disgrace, it's so so cringeworthy. I feel ashamed.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:16am

Smiley - I read your comment . It did make me smile to think that there is still some on SN who think I am a mole sent by Murdoch to mess with your minds . You might be right ?

"Thick as a Brick " is a song that comes to mind .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:20am
Craig wrote:

Scomo is an absolute disgrace, it's so so cringeworthy. I feel ashamed.

And that's being nice!

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:41am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Blind Boy - you are just too funny with what you post .

" surveyed 220 Australian ecologists, conservation scientists, conservation policymakers and environmental consultants. The results, published this year in the international science journal Conservation Letters, found that one-third of government employees who responded had experienced “undue interference” when it came to public communications about their research."

Let me explain what this survey should tell us .

As we all know the group were biased to a Green View . That is what they need to do their jobs and so are rightly biased .

Their definition of "undue influence " would be that they were told that their scientific information was not peer reviewed and probably garbage .

Their view , this is very funny , "It feels terrible to know the truth about impacts to the environment ", actually means I know best and am right . Your my boss so WTF would you know .

The next comment needs no clarification " I feel resentment when I am expected to “toe the line” and support decisions I consider wrong ."

The poor , poor petals !

The Don has found 220 fellow petals , gave them a survey designed to give him answers he wanted because he also felt he had undue influence placed on him and didn't toe the line . He is just throwing a little tantrum . It happens all the time with this type . Don't worry so much .

The funniest thing is that then the Blind one assumes , because of this charade and tantrum , the government is the MOST secretive in our history .

BB - those of use who HAVE lived in the REAL world are not so easily deceived . We know how the game is played . You let them throw their tantrum , think nothing of it and move onto important things .
It really is quite easy .

Response like a true RWNJ, deny, unjustly discredit and abuse in the face of facts. “We we believe science, but only when we’ve told em’ what to say. All that other stuff they say is bullshit, we need to make money er’ regional jobs”

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:49am

If it has any domestic context at all, Scomo casting a haughty French énarque as anti Australian is good brand positioning and clever marketing and will play to his advantage.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:19am
Roker wrote:

If it has any domestic context at all, Scomo casting a haughty French énarque as anti Australian is good brand positioning and clever marketing and will play to his advantage.

It's pure Scumo. Escalating the spat by pretending Macron has sledged the entire country is fucking pathetic. First up, Macron did no such thing. In fact Macron did the exact opposite when he called Scumo a liar. He went out of the way to show respect to Australia and it's people.
Secondly escalating the spat is not good for Australia at all. It's just Scumo putting his political interests ahead of the national interest. I fucking loath this absolute phoney.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:32am

"pretending Macron has sledged the entire country"

Yeah it was a pretty transparent bit of rhetoric, hopefully most saw it as such.
Speaks to the fella's character.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:33am

Scummo is just an embarrassing fool

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:45am

For fans of Scomo....

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:47am

I disagree gragagan. I think he is a cunning manipulative parasite determined to preserve and increase the wealth of the top couple of per cent and save what should, by now, be the stranded assets of the fossil fuel corporations. To see him as a fool seriously underestimates his ability to csrry through his repulsive policies.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:05am

Yes he is a cunning manipulative parasite working for the top couple of percent, I was just referring to his handling of the France / submarine situation.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:38am

Worst episode of "An Idiot Abroad" I've seen.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:38am

Im glad Scomo hit back im sick and tired of the rest of the world
kicking our arse like we are a third world country and im really
pleased he cancelled the French obsolete submarines worthless
heaps of rubbish in the modern world. Only thing im a little pissed
about is that the subs are not nuclear armed as thats the only
defence we really have against these Chinese rat bastards that are
coming our way. Also worth a mentioning having America as a stronger
allies is only beneficial for Australia. Cant see the French coming to the
rescue its always been the other way round.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:01pm

Couldn't agree more Evo, I'm sick of the world thinking that Australia's some kind of backward banana republic who is too dumb and incompetent to develop and manage anything other than primary industries.

And I'm totally over the world thinking that we're some sort of client state to the U.S., that we're only too willing to drop everything and take it up the wrong 'un when the Yanks tell us.

If anyone can right these wrongs, it'll be Scotty.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:01pm

Ja whol mein herr. Ve must eliminate these rats

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:07pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:27pm

Scotty will fix jt! Just like he did quarantine, the vaccination roll out, climate policy, the toxic parliamentary culture, the submarine deal, water rorts, car park rorts etc etc. There comes a point where wilful ignorance becomes the same kind of problem as the "Good Germans" of WW2. Not wanting to know is not an excuse for supporting no action on climate.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:31pm

To his credit, Scotty did admit to fcuking up the vaccine rollout, then got cracking.

Over here, the Saint Jacinda kept procrastinating for ever and ever, and has not once owned up to making any sort of mistake.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:36pm

Yeh what's a few hundred extra deaths and an extra six weeks or so of lockdown. Good onya Scotty, you .........(enter your insult of choice).

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:50pm

Blind one - Interested to know your choice of insult for Dan the Man .

Approx 650 ( give or take a few hundred ) due to him choosing an inexperienced private contractor to police our hotel quarantine program ( remember the inquiry that no one could remember who did what ) . ALL the other states used the military as suggested .

They also paid the contractor more than $30m for their work .

Makes Scomo look an amature killer .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:58pm

Yeh that was shambolic but remember quarantine is a Federal Government responsibility and the states were unprepared when they were thrown in at the deep end. If Scotty had stepped up and done the bleeding obvious, set up proper quarantine facilities, then the various hotel fiascos including the NSW limousine driver case would never have happened. The only dedicated quarantine centre we had (Howard Springs) was 100% effective at preventing the virus escaping. So spread the blame as you like but a huge proportion is down to Scotty's do nothing management.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:56pm

The LNP circus continues. Gladys at ICAC, Tim Smith the drunken idiot, Barnaby Joyce the drunken idiot, Porter in more shit than a Werribee duck for his secret donations, the lunatic Nats wagging the Lib dog, and of course Scumo's disastrous world tour.
And the thing is, we haven't even hit political silly season yet. Let's assume Scumo goes to the polls in May. After the summer holidays, it will be full shit show. Those grubby LNP cvnts will be planning there post-political futures, doing all sorts of shitty deals with shitty people. Clive Palmer will be scaring the sypkans and blowins of Australia. Dodgy money will be flowing freely, and Murdoch will be spreading misinformation like no tomorrow. If you through the shitshow leading up to the 2019 election was bad, you aint seen nothing yet.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 1:05pm

All about the optics.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 1:28pm

Regarding the submarines; I see it as one of 2 scenarios:

1) They think we are all idiots; Biden apologises to Marcon saying 'I thought they told you...'. It's all misunderstanding. Like me selling something 2nd hand a have a misunderstanding with the potential buyer. Are we really supposed to believe that any country in the world would be purchasing nuclear submarines without the knowledge (and approval) of the US and French intelligence? Especially within the NATO pact. Nonsense, they knew about it and what we're seeing is just a show for the public.

2) Biden is actually going around selling nuclear submarines without discussing anything with his allies, does dodgy deals behind the scenes, and undermines the strength of NATO. Then plays foolish games in public space, all parties blame each other trying to hide their incompetence. So they're all in fact so unorganised that they don't know what they're doing.

From my life experiences, I definitely lean towards 1st scenario.