Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 8:38pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:

JF ,Seeds, Supa, Adam, AW, and anyone else, sorry for my antagonising posts yesterday and before, won't be going down that road again.
Life is too short to be getting peed off with people. Head pulled in lol
AS.

Ashsam. Good on you mate, man enough to cough up the phlegm. We are all fuckwits sometimes.

If I could be honest, I’d love to know more about yourself, your past and what you did for work, your interests etc, if that’s ok
Your consistent vacuum of empty content rebuttals can only go so far. Give us what you’ve got, all guns blazing. All the best and looking forward to AS Lol. , MK2.. catch ya tonight , gotta deck to finish. AW.

Still working for myself AW. 10 more years unless labor puts me out of business before they get shafted for the other party that are/will be no better lol ;)

Ashsam. I retired early , back in 2019. Still helping out surf mates kids with decks, pergolas, exposed agg concrete, anything building related really. I surf first and only work when I need money. Very casual, no stress. If there’s surf for a few days, I don’t work. I probably average 1 days work per week over a year, I’m 59 years young. Fit as a 25 year old. All the best, thanks for sharing and caring.AW

Good on you AW.
You got it sussed mate.
Hope to be in a similar situation in a few years?!

Andy-Mac. Hi mate , all good your end and mine. I know you’ll get there soon my friend.

My most common quote is, ‘you’re a long time dead’, so whilst on this planet, make the most of it, by that I mean leisure time.

As a nation we are often criticised nationally and internationally for our lackadaisical attitude towards work, who cares, I love the Australian mantra of everybody is working towards the weekend’.

Work bloody hard and reward yourself.

I remember reading in Willian Finnegans book ‘Barbarian Days’ ( best surf read ever) that when he and a mate lucked on some jobs in Cooloongatta to earn extra coin for travelling, they remarked that Aussie’s have got it all sorted when it comes to work and leisure, William was blown away by the attitude of always looking for or getting a day off work.

I was self employed in the landscape industry for 33 years, without a lie, 1st of February to December 24th , every year of my life was run at a rapid pace, I’d literally collapse Xmas eve. I was on the tools (construction), on the drawing board (design) and all administrative work and office. Exhaustive but rewarding, physically and financially.
I’d break from Christmas Eve and back to work February 1st.
Fortunately able to do Indo trips from 2008 to this day.

You’ve definitely gotta have a lot of leisure in your life, for your own sanity. Good stuff. AW

Hi AW.

Couple of things I live by ..
' you never look back at your life and wished you worked harder.' or spent more time away from family
From g:land bloke 75 + still surfing. ' your leasure time is just as important as you work time.'
'You cannot own too many surfboards '
Btw have read Finnegan's book twice . Love it.
Nearly went to Maderia in 94 but for various reasons didn't.
One of the big regrets of my life..

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 8:46pm
adam12 wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:

& for Adam, the 10 Mercs sound wonderfully ostentatious, a mate's mum had the late 70s 280 sedan, that thing was a tank. Always loved cars but have very pedestrian taste - collect the ones you want if you can, and enjoy them. Teaching my youngest manual on a 5L V8 was a colourful experience.

Yep, think your mates mum's was probably a w116 280, they did them with carby (280S) and fuel injected (280SE), they were the early S series mercs. I had a 280SE, beautiful white one with the rare headlight grilles, sold it last year. They also put the same engines in the smaller chassis w114 mercs, I've still got one of them, a rare rust free one sitting in my shed waiting for a resto. But the "beast"or "tank" from that era is the magnificent w116 450 SEL 6.9, biggest engine MB ever put in a production car, a 6.9L V8, was the fastest car on the road for a long time. It had this one off amazing fluid suspension system in that model, smoothest drive you could imagine and plant your foot and it peeled your eyeballs back in their sockets. I had a silver one about a decade ago, my favorite ever car and have regretted selling it ever since the day I did. A guy offered me stupid money for it when I was trying to sell him another car.
Anyway, here it is, the 6.9 in all it's glory, this one is the milano brown, from the movie Ronin, check the J turn at the start of this clip...

The 6.9 was also the car used by Claude Lalouch in this famous short film from 1972, "C'etait un Rendezvous" where he strapped a camera to the bumper and took a white knuckle ride through the streets of pre dawn Paris. He dubbed a Ferrari engine over the sound track to disguise it, and to disguise the fact that it was him driving his own car. Everyone thought it was a racing car driver in a Ferrari, but Claude later told the truth, it was his car, he was driving, and I think I remember reading he had his mother in law in the back seat for the whole ride.

Reposted this for VJ, in case he missed my reply on the other pge

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 8:50pm
ashsam wrote:
basesix wrote:

^ looks a bit woke @ash.. do they have one with mini thermo-nuclear reactors?

Should be cheap to run, like you said he said there is heaps of them.
Never driven on the left side though lol.

Trying to swindle a short trip to Norway not sure yet.
Have a Aunty in Hornby Sweden to visit too.

Ashsam. Driving on the left is easy, it’s remembering to look the opposite way to what we do, I had many a close shaves in traffic when first visiting Sweden.

We have a few things in common, we both surf, we eat good nutritious food, we are deadly good looking and we have Scandinavian connections.

I was recently married to a Swede for 29 years, 11 months and three weeks, didn’t quite get to 30.
As Max would’ve said, ‘missed it by that much’.

I also love Norway, isn’t it good , Norwegian Wood. ( there you go B6, I have got a musical bone in my body).
Nice people, too fucking cold for me. My marriage ended because of surfing.

So now, I attend ‘board meetings ‘ as regularly as I like, the ocean is the elixir of life, literally, plants evolved in the ocean and animals moved out of the water and onto land and some went back into the water.
A bit of a metaphor for life really.

To you and you’re lovely and your families on both sides of this wonderful planet, I hope you all have a good time . Tack sa mycket. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 8:59pm
andy-mac wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:

JF ,Seeds, Supa, Adam, AW, and anyone else, sorry for my antagonising posts yesterday and before, won't be going down that road again.
AS.

Ashsam. Good on you mate, man enough to cough up the phlegm. We are all fuckwits sometimes.

If I could be honest, I’d love to know more about yourself, your past and what you did for work, your interests etc, if that’s ok
Your consistent vacuum of empty content rebuttals can only go so far. Give us what you’ve got, all guns blazing. All the best and looking forward to AS Lol. , MK2.. catch ya tonight , gotta deck to finish. AW.

Still working for myself AW. 10 more years unless labor puts me out of business before they get shafted for the other party that are/will be no better lol ;)

Ashsam. I retired early , back in 2019. Still helping out surf mates kids with decks, pergolas, exposed agg concrete, anything building related really. I surf first and only work when I need money. Very casual, no stress. If there’s surf for a few days, I don’t work. I probably average 1 days work per week over a year, I’m 59 years young. Fit as a 25 year old. All the best, thanks for sharing and caring.AW

Good on you AW.
You got it sussed mate.

Andy-Mac. Hi mate , all good your end and mine. I know you’ll get there soon my friend.

My most common quote is, ‘you’re a long time dead’, so whilst on this planet, make the most of it, by that I mean leisure time.

As a nation we are often criticised nationally and internationally for our lackadaisical attitude towards work, who cares, I love the Australian mantra of everybody is working towards the weekend’.

I remember reading in Willian Finnegans book ‘Barbarian Days’ ( best surf read ever) that when he and a mate lucked on some jobs in Cooloongatta to earn extra coin for travelling, they remarked that Aussie’s have got it all sorted when it comes to work and leisure, William was blown away by the attitude of always looking for or getting a day off work.

I was self employed in the landscape industry for 33 years, without a lie, 1st of February to December 24th , every year of my life was run at a rapid pace, I’d literally collapse Xmas eve. I was on the tools (construction), on the drawing board (design) and all administrative work and office. Exhaustive but rewarding, physically and financially.

You’ve definitely gotta have a lot of leisure in your life, for your own sanity. Good stuff. AW

Hi AW.

' you never look back at your life and wished you worked harder.' or spent more time away from family
From g:land bloke 75 + still surfing. ' your leasure time is just as important as you work time.'

Andy-Mac. That’s so good, I love surfboards, got about 16 all up . I’m collecting a new Arakawa 6’6” twin fin on Sunday, can’t wait to have a crack. I’ll post a photo when it’s in my hot ‘hand models ‘ hands.

My uncle in Point Lonsdale in Victoria is 78 and still rips on a 6’8” pintail. He’s always inspired me, looks 55-60 years old.
The sea is the best.

Well after reading Barbarisn Days, I went to Madeira, went to Jardim do Mar, what a beautiful place. Waves all over the island. Plant life was fascinating also.
You sound like a great bloke for a surf trip. AW

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 9:22pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:
basesix wrote:

^ looks a bit woke @ash.. do they have one with mini thermo-nuclear reactors?

Should be cheap to run, like you said he said there is heaps of them.
Never driven on the left side though lol.

Trying to swindle a short trip to Norway not sure yet.
Have a Aunty in Hornby Sweden to visit too.

Ashsam. Driving on the left is easy, it’s remembering to look the opposite way to what we do, I had many a close shaves in traffic when first visiting Sweden.

We have a few things in common, we both surf, we eat good nutritious food, we are deadly good looking and we have Scandinavian connections.

I was recently married to a Swede for 29 years, 11 months and three weeks, didn’t quite get to 30.
As Max would’ve said, ‘missed it by that much’.

I also love Norway, isn’t it good , Norwegian Wood. ( there you go B6, I have got a musical bone in my body).
Nice people, too fucking cold for me. My marriage ended because of surfing.

So now, I attend ‘board meetings ‘ as regularly as I like, the ocean is the elixir of life, literally, plants evolved in the ocean and animals moved out of the water and onto land and some went back into the water.
A bit of a metaphor for life really.

To you and you’re lovely and your families on both sides of this wonderful planet, I hope you all have a good time . Tack sa mycket. AW

Thanks AW, sorry didn’t work out with your wife, near 30 years is a long time.
Lucky for me mine has no issues with my surfing. Only 25 years though ;)

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 9:32pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:

AS.

I have had my business for 32 years, I don’t do the work though have sub contractors , just quotes, ordering and book work etc. So physically haven’t worn myself out.
I can’t tell you what I do as I have told where I live and it will be easy to google and find my name/address/phone as I have a website with all that on it. Not that you would :)

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 9:35pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:

AS.

Good on you AW.
You got it sussed mate.

Hi AW.

Andy-Mac. That’s so good, I love surfboards, got about 16 all up . I’m collecting a new Arakawa 6’6” twin fin on Sunday, can’t wait to have a crack. I’ll post a photo when it’s in my hot ‘hand models ‘ hands.

My uncle in Point Lonsdale in Victoria is 78 and still rips on a 6’8” pintail. He’s always inspired me, looks 55-60 years old.
The sea is the best.

Well after reading Barbarisn Days, I went to Madeira, went to Jardim do Mar, what a beautiful place. Waves all over the island. Plant life was fascinating also.

Envious, Jardim de mar before harbour,/ rock wall or after? Sounds like incredible wave,
So many there by looks of things...!

Waves that is...

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 9:36pm
ashsam wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:

AS.

I have had my business for 32 years, I don’t do the work though have sub contractors , just quotes, ordering and book work etc. So physically haven’t worn myself out.
I can’t tell you what I do as I have told where I live and it will be easy to google and find my name/address/phone as I have a website with all that on it. Not that you would :)

Ashsam. All good. Mom’s the word. Never know who is stalking,scamming etc. better to be safe than sorry. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 7 Jun 2024 at 9:42pm
andy-mac wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:
ashsam wrote:

AS.

Good on you AW.
You got it sussed mate.

Hi AW.

The sea is the best.

Envious, Jardim de mar before harbour,/ rock wall or after? Sounds like incredible wave,
So many there by looks of things...!

Waves that is...

Andy-Mac. Hi. I was there after the wall, it’s slightly affected the wave, you can see the backwash a little.
But still a powerful wave that’s almost as good as it was in William Finnegans days.
It was only 2ft when I was there, even then, you could see the power in the swell and the sweep/current. The little towns just near there also have quality waves , Paul do Mar from memory, that all break so close to the shore of each village. Great people and great food. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 7:57am
Jelly Flater wrote:

- civil ashy seems alright ;)
....he might go ok in danish bikepants ay (b6 you're a gem)

& this haha
- put this in a time capsule for future generations to understand the oh so subtle art of aging gracefully ;);)
....this is a sn fridge magnet, thank u @adam12 :

" I did a rotator in my shoulder reaching for a kit kat to munch on in the middle of the night, tore a hammy trying to kick the doona off too."

@AW, hope you're resting up after hitting the deck ;)

JellyFlater. I’m always building decks, very rewarding and good cashola.

So, true, so true. Always hitting the deck, yeah, you’ve gotta watch out for suburban militia in Geelong and the Surf Coast, always panning, listening for gunshots, ear to the ground so to speak , never know when you’ve gotta duck for cover when the bullets appear, (oh, they’ve got a rabbit I see) , anyway I’ll hit the deck and rip carve that skate park in the sky whilst banging in a few more screws whilst holding my deck. Twisted. AW

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 9:45am

- ^ sounds like a brief but spectacular take on what it means to hold a deck ;)
.....thanks AW, enjoy ya w/end ;);)

https://m.

sameaswas's picture
sameaswas's picture
sameaswas Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 12:11pm
sypkan wrote:

wow!

can almost agree with everyone today

must actually be some reasonable, constructive conversation going on...

whilst adam12 is totally correct

so is old dog...

I know these people too, quite often it is such a false 'win', ...and such a waste of life...

a little prodding goes a long way, and unfortunately in australia a culture has developed where you cannot even raise certain issues

which unfortunately, creates 'a culture of low expectations' ...as noel pearson likes to point out... noel being noel... one can guess who are the real losers...

especially considering when we just went through a period of almost full employment... it's a disgrace governments (with an S!!) ...didn't have the capacity or inclination to make the most of this situation, and really help people...

'learned helplessness'

is a real psychological term and condition, and labor just feeds this beast through ideological dismissiveness...

optimist raised mental health now encroaching onto the ndis, that and the outcomes of years of drug abuse.. I know real world example, where someone on the dole now has essentially a personal chauffeur, getting paid $150 an hour a couple of hours a day, almost everyday of the week to do the most basic and ridiculous of tasks, that this person managed to do quite easily for years on their own...

it's a nice 'service' in the bigger scheme of things... but fuck me! ...that ain't smart or 'equitable' use of resources by any measure...

and no, it would not fall under billy boys new fascination with 'fraud' ...now that he's in power...

(before he couldn't give a fuck, wasn't concerned with 'sustainability' of the system... argued it wasn't an issue... when libs were in power... as pointed out on abc yesterday... he literally went from arguing sustainability isnt a problem, to overnight being psuedo tough guy cop concerned with sustainability...)

it's shit like this why people have no faith in labor, they're fucking ideological morons...

ndis was also supposed to not be for autism and the like... now it's one of its biggest expenses!

gillard sold us ndis as annual cost $4 billion per year...now it's $140 billion!

you wanna talk about economics?

none of this is 'sustainable' in any sense of the word...

but billy boys onto it!

fuck off! ...you could have sorted it from opposition... 8 . 10 years ago...

but you didn't

as phil corey said on insiders 2 years ago...

'labor is only now doing what the lnp were trying to raise as issues for years'

but they didn't want anyone touching their baby...

their baby is broken...

billy boy's 'fraud' equates to a coupla billion bucks

significant by any measure

but just the tip of the iceberg...

ndis was never designed for all this rubbish, labor need to actually show some balls and clean the whole fucking mess up!

Gillard allso had the NBN paid for, all with public monies and every other country in the world that did the nbn was paid by big business and finance sector etc etc.
Since the nbn the corporate entities have made biggest profits ever, specially the banks.
Again another example of labour's corporate welfare for "mates".
Another effect the nbn had was heaps public servants and white-collar workers stay home for work and the city coffee and snack bars miss out on customers.

The nbn overseas was set up for big business and paid by them, we have been deceived by all parties and media outlets for allowing this to happen with no critique or expose of this!!
I do not have nbn only 5g, wifi and hotspot.
The hackers, gamers, crooks et all love the nbn.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 4:06pm

The question to ask is who is advising this dullard?

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/climate-change-dutton-to-pull...

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 5:29pm

Re old Mercs. I had a '72 280S many years ago. First drive out of the city was a revelation after years of driving Australian or cheap 2nd hand British. Was a bit concerned about how such a relatively small 6 would drag tons of metal to claimed mph . Got to 60 thinking "yeah she's working hard " .Kept the foot down and approaching the ton it got quieter and quieter - just a hum and went round corners like it was on rails. This was early '90's and when new that car was state of the art.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 6:00pm

I remember Mercedes used to bring out some funny adds.
Most of the old ones look like they'd handle like a boat, but I've heard they were surprisingly stable.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 6:40pm

An old girlfriends Dad had an immaculate 1960 190SL, red with a white removeable hardtop. He was an ex-Wallaby and Barrister. I couldn't believe he would let me drive it. Even cruising around the northern beaches of Sydney that car still turned heads.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 6:59pm

My Uncle Laurie , not my real uncle but close family friend had a limousine business in Adelaide with a fleet of Mercedes. He drove the beatles around when they hit Adelaide in 64 . He sold an old merc to dad really cheap and we twice drove from Adelaide to cairns in it , never missed a beat . I would sit on his lap aged 12 and steer on the open road. It had the weird speedo that would change colour as you went faster, from yellow to yellow red stripes to fully red . Classic old beast .

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 7:17pm
H2O wrote:

Re old Mercs. I had a '72 280S many years ago. First drive out of the city was a revelation after years of driving Australian or cheap 2nd hand British. Was a bit concerned about how such a relatively small 6 would drag tons of metal to claimed mph . Got to 60 thinking "yeah she's working hard " .Kept the foot down and approaching the ton it got quieter and quieter - just a hum and went round corners like it was on rails. This was early '90's and when new that car was state of the art.

Yep, know that feeling well H2O, it's the twin carbys. The engine mostly runs off the first one but when you get out on the open road the second one kicks in and the thing gets this whole new power range.
Amazing engineering.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 7:23pm
zenagain wrote:

An old girlfriends Dad had an immaculate 1960 190SL, red with a white removeable hardtop. He was an ex-Wallaby and Barrister. I couldn't believe he would let me drive it. Even cruising around the northern beaches of Sydney that car still turned heads.

Far out Zen. Cruising the Northern Beaches in a Red/White 190SL, the girl's old man's car, roof off, hair in the wind. Must've felt like a king. Those things are just about top of the range for collectors these days. Worth more than a house. The red on white is the one. Not much HP under the bonnet but what a cruiser.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 7:53pm

It was a fun car to drive Adam from memory but didn't handle nor brake too well. Tbh, I felt much less like a king and more of a clown actually. It wasn't me. Plus, I couldn't really enjoy it cause I was shit scared of dinging it. It was a nice thing to look at though.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 8:14pm

The 'old man' must have liked you Zen.
I'm guessing he was heartbroken after the split.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 9:22pm

She was. Not so sure about Dad.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 9:50pm
zenagain wrote:

Jeez Zen...
Was old gf's dad named Peter?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 10:23pm

Yes.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 10:42pm

R00ney.. are you.. by any chance... peter's daughter...?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 8 Jun 2024 at 11:18pm

Nah my daughter is called Amy, not ROOney

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Sunday, 9 Jun 2024 at 1:35pm

Zen...
I know Peter, I know the car and I know the girls.
A mate married one of them.
Small world.

No b6...I am not his daughter hahaha

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 9 Jun 2024 at 3:20pm

Ha ha, there you go. Is a very small world at times. Great memory from 25 years ago. Nice people.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 10 Jun 2024 at 9:18am
ashsam wrote:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/kings-birthday-honours-form...

Who you know, carries more weight than “what you did”

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 10 Jun 2024 at 9:41am
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 10 Jun 2024 at 9:55am

Dutton moving up the popularity list…Albo the swiftly princess moving down.

1 hit wonder as Australians wake up.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 10 Jun 2024 at 10:12am
andy-mac wrote:

Well the good ol NACC is certainly a fizzer...

https://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2024/06/09/how-nacc-commissioner-pa...

Andy-Mac. Hi . No surprise there, that’s how Australia has done and is still doing business, “nothing to see here’.
When are we ever going to move on , tax the wealthy in both business and personal life, hold people legally accountable for their actions, serious or otherwise.

We are the classic nation of pushing everything under the carpet in the hope everyone will just forget about it over time.

Problem is, many of us have very good memories.
Backwards nation in a sense. AW

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 10 Jun 2024 at 4:46pm
andy-mac wrote:

Well the good ol NACC is certainly a fizzer...

https://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2024/06/09/how-nacc-commissioner-pa...

you surprised?

labor made it a fizzer

the uni-party protects its own...

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 11 Jun 2024 at 9:30am
zenagain wrote:

I can't understand this obsession with limitless growth. Who thinks that the price of goods and services needs to increase week on week, year on year? It's ok, we'll give you more money to pay for it but there's no corresponding increase in the standard of living.

Help me out economists, it doesn't make sense.

Zen. If you have a spare 90 odd minutes have a watch of this. It touches on how flawed our current economic system is and where it should probably be heading. I'm an economic chump too, but found this quite interesting.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 11 Jun 2024 at 10:11am

Cheers Gary. Mine was more of a rhetorical question but as you know, I live in a country, hate to use the word 'decline' but everything here seems actually ok. Also, there's not the pressure here to earn earn earn as most things are affordable on an average salary- you can buy a house, a decent car, take a holiday every now and then and put a bit away for a rainy day. I don't really know what more you could want.

Edit: I know what I wouldn't want- the cost of everything going up exponentially but no corresponding increase in value.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 11 Jun 2024 at 10:28am
zenagain wrote:

Cheers Gary. Mine was more of a rhetorical question but as you know, I live in a country, hate to use the word 'decline' but everything here seems actually ok. Also, there's not the pressure here to earn earn earn as most things are affordable on an average salary- you can buy a house, a decent car, take a holiday every now and then and put a bit away for a rainy day. I don't really know what more you could want.

Edit: I know what I wouldn't want- the cost of everything going up exponentially but no corresponding increase in value.

Zen, I think social cohesion plays a very large part in the question you're asking. When a nation feels unified then there's a self-policing aspect to greed; people take a dim view towards those taking more than their share - greed and avarice are frowned upon. When it isn't unified, the shackles come off, people view the setting as innately unjust so think it's their right to more, and not only does that happen without question, it becomes celebrated.

Cue accelerating inequality and all its social ills.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 11 Jun 2024 at 3:45pm

Does anyone else think that Jeremy Rifkins 3rd industrial revolution vision is being hijacked by Klaus Schwab and his 4th industrial Marxist style revolution.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Tuesday, 11 Jun 2024 at 6:58pm

I dunno Opti, but AI and transhumanism are scary things, to me. We are always evolving, but i don't think we are meant to evolve away from our humanity.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 11 Jun 2024 at 8:00pm
Optimist wrote:

Does anyone else think that Jeremy Rifkins 3rd industrial revolution vision is being hijacked by Klaus Schwab and his 4th industrial Marxist style revolution.

What makes Klaus Schwab Marxist? Marxism=workers own the means of production.
Klaus Schwab=“You will own nothing and be happy”

I think you might be getting your ideologies mixed up Opti.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 12 Jun 2024 at 8:47am
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 12 Jun 2024 at 2:01pm

1000% increase of serious academic misconduct at Sydney Uni from '21 to '23

Imagine being the student that does all their own work, are you the honest one or the sucker?

"Thousands of students have been accused of cheating and paying others to do their work as the record number of misconduct cases forces universities to beef up their investigation departments.

The large-scale return of international students has reignited fears of a cheating black market linked to visa fraud, while forensic IT advances have helped investigators find more cheating students."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/thousands-of-students-caught-cheatin...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 12 Jun 2024 at 2:13pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

Imagine being the student that does all their own work, are you the honest one or the sucker?

"Thousands of students have been accused of cheating and paying others to do their work as the record number of misconduct cases forces universities to beef up their investigation departments.

The large-scale return of international students has reignited fears of a cheating black market linked to visa fraud, while forensic IT advances have helped investigators find more cheating students."

Really think that Uni's and schools have to go back to good old examinations in controlled environment.
With fraud and the rise of AI such as ChatGBT, it makes essays, assignments, reports too easy to cheat.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 12 Jun 2024 at 2:16pm
andy-mac wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:

Really think that Uni's and schools have to go back to good old examinations in controlled environment.
With fraud and the rise of AI such as ChatGBT, it makes essays, assignments, reports too easy to cheat.

That's exactly what's happening at my son's high school.

Still do lots of group work, reading, home projects, but come crunch time they're locked in a hall with no devices allowed.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 13 Jun 2024 at 7:17pm

Yes, that’s not changing in a hurry.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 13 Jun 2024 at 7:29pm

Btw, the Uni’s have been dealing with misconduct/ cheating for ever. They have run anti-plagiarism software for decades . The fact they are picking up “thousands of cases” suggests their systems are still working. Glass half-full, it will be the same with AI,

Wyre's picture
Wyre's picture
Wyre Friday, 14 Jun 2024 at 9:48am
blackers wrote:

Btw, the Uni’s have been dealing with misconduct/ cheating for ever. They have run anti-plagiarism software for decades . The fact they are picking up “thousands of cases” suggests their systems are still working. Glass half-full, it will be the same with AI,

I agree, mostly. I work in the sector, and the general response from uni is to be open about AI usage - provide a 'statement on the use of AI' with your paper, asking what prompts etc.

You can't fight it.

However, so far plenty of students are pretending they wrote it themselves the lying buggers! it's going to be really difficult once ChatGPT can tailor writing to your personality (which is, what, a week away?)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 14 Jun 2024 at 10:29am

Speaking to my wife this morning, she also works in the sector, and she's of the opinion that kids are being given mixed messages in that they can use AI to research or confirm theories but can't use it for final work and citations. Research skills have slid so much that many students can't discern between the two, with my wife thinking there oughta be a more clear stance on AI.

Or at least I think that's the point she was making.

Also, kids are feeding output from one LLM into another LLM to reword passages that would otherwise be caught by uni software.

Then there are those kids handing in work with AI time-stamps still on them...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 14 Jun 2024 at 10:50am

At a school level it has made research style tasks essays etc a whole lot easier and not really being regarded as plagiarism.
For example, say if the assignment was along the lines of 'Prepare a Business Report to why the Australian government intervenes in the economy using fiscal and monetary policy to improve living standards of Australians.' 800 words.
Kids can put that into Chat GPT and get an idea of what to write without the normal research practices.
Then they can take note of the key points mentioned, and go and find relevant sources for these main points and then rewrite using their own words, using correct citations etc.
Makes tasks such as this super easy, saves reading a lot of material and I guess it is not technically plagiarism, but are they learning? I don't think so.
I guess 30 years ago for a research task you were in the library reading books and taking relative notes, then google made that a whole lot easier to find specific info, now AI ChatGBT etc do all the work for you as far as research goes.
AI should be embraced as it has a lot of uses, but how we grade/assess students whether school or Uni level, things need to change, and as previously mentioned, keep the group work and assignment-based learning but for examinations, back to the hall, closed book under exam conditions.
My 2cents....