All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 8:19pm
basesix wrote:

It's a pickle Optimist.

The majority of 'seeing things' and obsessive delusion have been medically explained (not to judge your experiences, only you know what they are)… I have seen people turn their back on non-believing loved-ones in preference of 'Him', later to be diagnosed… but I do wonder about people who believe that they truly believe..

If I truly believed that I had knowledge of 'the only true path to salvation that saved people from eternal damnation', I would probably feel obliged to share it. It is certainly what early missionaries felt compelled to do. They did a lot of damage, but weirdly some genuinely felt they doing the right thing... tough one. In some ways, you feeling obliged-to-share-your-perceived-path-to-salvation has more integrity, and I'm sure you agree with this, than those that keep the path to themselves. What a ridiculous noodle of a thing..

I’m sure you’ll dismiss this (it is hard to share if only one person’s view is ‘right’) as we seem to have pretty different tastes in movies. But I personally love this realisation from Sean Penn’s character, a classic sinner. I know it doesn’t talk to Him being the way, but I think comfort is a big one (life has been nasty, brutish and short for most of our collective journey), and the one I personally respect the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_EuJHphLA

Don't know about God, but believe in angels! Demi Moore....

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 8:26pm

Haha, that's the tbb spirit a-m, the lightest moment in this thread has been seeds' 'grippy little toes' comment... good band name. I laughed for 5 minutes.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 8:43pm

Hey hey hold up, copyright on that band name!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 8:50pm

aww, i've chosen the font an everything.. : (

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:12pm

Lord of the dance ;)

https://m.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:13pm

Too late we’re playing tomorrow night
C2-C899-B0-DD48-4110-9340-E78-A84-D0737-F

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:17pm

yer bands sucks

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:24pm

Screw you man
WE ARE STICK!!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:28pm

stick?? is this another parable?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:30pm

phully stick, man!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:33pm

word on the street is since JellyF joined, you're just doing derivative salt-n-peppa synth crap

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:39pm

Nah that didn’t work for us. acappella Public Enemy now. Might be the end of the line if this doesn’t work. Hahaha

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:42pm

well if you need re-inventing, I'll be the bigger man, you can have my fonts. It's Comic Sans.. really pops. Courier for the live album. No offense, but yours looked like you whipped it up in 5 mins while eating tea.

CMC's picture
CMC's picture
CMC Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:43pm

This is how I picture Opti.....

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:51pm
basesix wrote:

well if you need re-inventing, I'll be the bigger man, you can have my fonts. It's Comic Sans.. really pops. Courier for the live album. No offense, but yours looked like you whipped it up in 5 mins while eating tea.

Close. Few beers, fat thumb while watching Natural Born Killers. Cheers, that was a good laugh.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 9:56pm

haha ; )
(seriously... that poster.. respect)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 10:01pm

But… grippy little toes was phully stick…

For even though the frog dideth have grippy little toes, he still fell to the ground.

And thereth he lay, until he went to the centre of the earth. Hereth, upon his calling, he was lifted through the bright sci fi like beam of flashy pulsing lights…

And, after a few days, grippy little toes rose up again and was lifted to the highest of all high sticks… There, uponeth his arrival, he bathed in the eternal mist of da pond ;)

Some say it was a parable. Yet some say grippy toes was real…..

And some say a frog will come again to show us all how phully stick one can be and fly on high over a cow and fall to the ground and yet still rise again to be the one and only phully stick frog lawd. With one… true… grippy little toe…

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 10:12pm
CMC wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xjW_ig1KI

He’s as fervent but more subdued I’d think. I have no problem at all with believers in Jesus. Makes no difference to me.
I have a problem with churches that excommunicate members. Families that excommunicate family members. Gay conversion etc. Hateful, judgemental and causes so much hurt.
Optimist never responds to enquires about how these matters are dealt with in his church. No mention of the name of his church either.
How can anyone do their due diligence before joining?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 10:31pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

But… grippy little toes was phully stick…

For even though the frog dideth have grippy little toes, he still fell to the ground.

And thereth he lay, until he went to the centre of the earth. Hereth, upon his calling, he was lifted through the bright sci fi like beam of flashy pulsing lights…

And, after a few days, grippy little toes rose up again and was lifted to the highest of all high sticks… There, uponeth his arrival, he bathed in the eternal mist of da pond ;)

Some say it was a parable. Yet some say grippy toes was real…..

And some say a frog will come again to show us all how phully stick one can be and fly on high over a cow and fall to the ground and yet still rise again to be the one and only phully stick frog lawd. With one… true… grippy little toe…

Hehehe that was good. Some of you guys must have childhood/educational experience. Know how to talk pseudo religious.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 10:45pm

It is certainly what early missionaries felt compelled to do.

Base6..... i thought the early missionaries sailed to Lahaina, so many years ago, where they brought the White Man's Burden down. Brought the White Man's reign.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 12:31am
Jelly Flater wrote:

Lord of the dance ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=19J_QmCCfJk

Was he blaspheming or praising? Jesus would bitch slap these jokers out of the temple.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 5:36am

Perhaps the children can help you understand.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 5:42am

Matthew 18: 2-4....pretty much says it all.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 6:53am

Forget the visuals- try some some in depth reading. The children finally get their story told.. This aint heaven- they went through hell. Which one is your denomination? Where does your version of jesus and the path to your god fit in ??
https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/

CMC's picture
CMC's picture
CMC Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 7:19am
seeds wrote:
CMC wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xjW_ig1KI

He’s as fervent but more subdued I’d think. I have no problem at all with believers in Jesus. Makes no difference to me.
I have a problem with churches that excommunicate members. Families that excommunicate family members. Gay conversion etc. Hateful, judgemental and causes so much hurt.
Optimist never responds to enquires about how these matters are dealt with in his church. No mention of the name of his church either.
How can anyone do their due diligence before joining?

Agreed, I have no issue with whatever anyone believes, it's their choice to live how they like as long as they don't harm anyone else.
Opti though has shown in many posts to be judgemental and condascending towards other posts with his commentary if you don't view life like he does or don't fit into his narrative.
The term bible basher come to mind.
Opti refers to God as He........shouldn't God be referred to as It being a omnipotent being/entity?
Could it be a case of "I used to be all fucked up on drugs and alcohol, now I'm all fucked up on the Lord"? Have come across a few people like that in the past.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 8:09am

It’s true.

Flopti goes all fire and brimstone and throws some wonderfully inspired tantrums ;)

Can’t answer simple questions …
Diverts and deflects …

Accuses others of things he’s guilty of and assumes an imaginary superior position as though he knows best …

All flopti brings in most responses (as his peanut brain is incapable of dealing in facts) is a quote or an analogy relative to someone else or some other source which does the supposed explaining for him.

It’s a red flag that shows his own ineffectiveness at providing an authentic or rational argument. Its also a truly superficial expression of how he won’t and can’t be accountable for his own insanity.

Above all - flopti proves he lacks the courage or honesty to share anything from his actual direct experience. He’s tried covering it before - and he’ll certainly try cover it again - but the incessant parade of pretending you know something yet being unable to actually directly explain anything from your own authentic perspective is a childish game of bluff ;)

- Flopti can quote all he wants, can provide all the chosen vids and parables he thinks make sense…

Truth is - at what point does flopti realise a belief is not real ? ;)

Kind of like when, as a child, the world is mostly constructed of fantasy and make believe.
- Reality can be just a series of ideas and hopes and dreams (or nightmares) reflecting experiences and trials and tribulations… then, as one grows in maturity, as one learns and discovers and creates and changes - life takes on an even more wonderful and diverse and varied form of your own making ;)

- One grounded in the reality of ‘what is’.

Yet some stay in a purely child like existence. One steeped in fear and illusion - not one of wonder and openness and growth.

This is where the flopti resides. Consumed with stories and fables. Distracted and obsessed with ideas and assumptions and wild irrational interpretations of biblical proportions ;)

But yeah…
Perhaps the children can help you understand ;)

Carry on.

&pp=ygUMamVzdXMgY29tZWR5

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 12:16pm

Don't forget that doing this to first born sheep was very important to the big fella in sky for thousands of years for some reason. How many times was it done? Tens of thousands one can assume. And he still wanted more blood.

This can be dressed up in mystical terms:
A blood sacrifice was required because Adam had sinned. The forgiveness of his sin required blood to be shed.
Or be seen for what it is.... killing a sheep for a feast and to feed the hungry priest.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 12:16pm

Don't forget that doing this to first born sheep was very important to the big fella in sky for thousands of years for some reason. How many times was it done? Tens of thousands one can assume. And he still wanted more blood.

This can be dressed up in mystical terms:
A blood sacrifice was required because Adam had sinned. The forgiveness of his sin required blood to be shed.
Or be seen for what it is.... killing a sheep for a feast and to feed the hungry priest.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 2:13pm

Thats just the cycle of life as long as the meat is eaten, nature is far more cruel some animals dont care about a quick death.

That was quick and mellow, seen pigs done in Indo and the squeal loudly before and during, hard to watch as a westerner but thats because we are so disconnected from the process of life.

Also seen and partaking in the Muslims Eid al-Adha (feast of sacrifice) in Indo, seeing cow after cows throats cut was also more heavy ive never seen so much blood squirting out and literally puddles of blood a few cm deep.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 3:02pm

Indo, I think Frog got a shock because he thought meat came on a little plastic tray with gladwrap on it from coles.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 3:19pm

None for you today Optimist, Weet Bix only ; )

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 3:35pm

No I’m having herb and garlic sausages on a little plastic tray with gladwrap in it from coles….I think it was a cow once…..but thinking about it, as a cow, I’d rather have a short happy life playing in the paddock with my friends than to ever have had no life at all.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 3:37pm

Yum! enjoy : )

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 5:06pm
Optimist wrote:

Indo, I think Frog got a shock because he thought meat came on a little plastic tray with gladwrap on it from coles.

Frog much like meat.

Frog not understand why God liked killing of lambs and blood so much.

Frog think priests much like roast lamb.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 15 Apr 2023 at 6:24pm

Judge not, lest ye be judged.
Would love to see the big fella take the stand. But somehow, I think the system is rigged.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 4:10am

Watch the Lamb of God get emotional as He watches the children quote the Shema.
Click you tube if its black.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 8:10am

Surprised nobody mentions the Dalai Lama asking that young boy to suck his tongue.

I love the Dalai Lama, but WTF that was weird and kinda creepy even if probably innocent and based on a Tibet tradition

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CRLMmoTio4E

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 8:35am

Haha, they did in another thread.. seems divided between crew who think he is just a weird old fool, being home-schooled playful and not realising his entitlement has left him oblivious to what is appropriate, and crew who think he is a pervert. I favor the former, given it is an official event with mixed-onlookers and cameras..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 9:27am

Oh okay, yeah im with the former too, but in still wouldn't let him baby sit my kids.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 12:42pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Surprised nobody mentions the Dalai Lama asking that young boy to suck his tongue.

I love the Dalai Lama, but WTF that was weird and kinda creepy even if probably innocent and based on a Tibet tradition

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CRLMmoTio4E

Very weird and I have always admired the man for what he stands for. My take would be a combination of age related mental decline combined with him trying to be playful...
Heart breaking if it was not innocent, but that it took place in very public forum I think unlikely had that intent. I guess only the Dalai Lama knows for sure.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 12:52pm

A perverted dirty old rock spider. That's what he is.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 2:25pm

It was weird and creepy.

But there is supposedly a cultural element

"What is the Tibetan culture of tongue greetings?

Sticking out your tongue is traditionally a sign of respect or agreement and has also been used as a greeting in Tibetan culture, according to the Institute of East Asian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley."

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/dalai-lama-tongue-kissing-greet...

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 4:49pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

It was weird and creepy.

Sticking out your tongue is traditionally a sign of respect or agreement and has also been used as a greeting in Tibetan culture, according to the Institute of East Asian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley."

He stuck out his tongue and asked a kid to suck it. After kissing him.

Let's not twist anything. It's creepy as fuck and if that was my kids and some old man did that i would rip his tongue off and feed it to him

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 5:30pm

While the west romances Tibetan Buddhism under the Dalai Lama, you should do a study on the slavery and serfdom of the high monks feudal system before China stepped in.
Slaves, serfdom land ownership and sexual abuse the Dalai Lama being the worst offender.
My good friend in the 90’s was the longest serving missionary in Tibet living there 10 years and teaching English at the university in Lhasa. It was still going on then.
He often counselled abused boys who had escaped the monasteries as they were in a checkmate situation ..
They couldn’t go home because they would be a disgrace to their families for escaping and they couldn’t go back to the monastery because they didn’t want to get sodomised. …heavy scene.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 6:03pm

You know coming to this website and this forum topic should be a joyful experience reading about people’s spiritual journeys but reading Optimist’s vitriolic posts leaves me feeling otherwise.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 7:04pm

Tibetan Buddhist society was one of the most unequal, unfair, stratified feudal peasant-slave societies that has ever existed on this planet in all of history.

The Tibetan Buddhist sects or schools that held power at a given moment enjoyed some of the most extreme, highly concentrated accumulations of wealth, royalty, prestige, power, luxury, grandeur, land and resource ownership, etc, of any rulership of any civilisation that has ever existed.

Much/most of the non-Buddhist peasant, serf population was tied to the individual monasteries and to working the monasteries' plots of land in bonded slave labour and conditions of extreme poverty. Many of them lived their entire lifetimes in slavery on these plots and never set foot off them.

The various schools, lineages and sects of Tibetan Buddhism were also some of the most murderous, warmongering military operations to have ever existed, and were basically perpetually at war with each other trying to establish their rule over Tibet and its people and resources, for obvious reasons, all the while selling the idea that their school of Tibetan Buddhism and path to "enlightenment" was superior to the others.

Anyone who thinks Tibetan civilisation was some kind of Shangri-La of Buddhist enlightenment is living in a completely ignorant, deluded, fanciful bubble.

The main reason the Dalai Lama and his school of Tibetan Buddhism is held on such a high pedestal by Western governments and folklore is that it was the main school willing to oppose, try to resist and wage war on the Chinese. The Chinese were supported by and worked with the other main schools and much of the Tibetan population, at least until the Chinese, while they also made mistakes, were undermined from all angles, including by the West during the Cold War.

Nothing is as it seems.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 7:00pm

Sticking to facts as always gsco.

& yep @GuySmiley. Whatever flopti says is a farkn downer… and sprinkled with rumour ;)

No doubt the dalai lama stuff is sick and twisted.

- the history of the christian brothers etc (and multiple institutions working in the supposed name of jesus worldwide) that have repeatedly been proven guilty of not only harbouring pedophiles, but hiding and moving them so as to avoid prosecution, is beyond comparison and scale… (and comprehension).

For a christian, flopti has a strange and peculiar tendency to call out ‘heavy’ stuff - while ignoring the obvious ‘heaviness’ he continually brings …

and, meanwhile, we are expected to take the second hand view of a version of events from a ‘missionary’ as truth ?
- note… in terms of honour and reputation, missionaries aren’t exactly up there as all virtuous and squeaky clean ;)

And - like all monasteries in all faiths that aspire to celibacy - sexual perversion often became a problem…
Wonder why …

If anything, a joyful experience within a spiritual journey is an idea that doesn’t seem to fit easily into all things ‘religion’.

After all, religion is not a natural event or a natural evolution… it’s an invention ;)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 7:58pm
burleigh wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

It was weird and creepy.

He stuck out his tongue and asked a kid to suck it. After kissing him.

Let's not twist anything. It's creepy as fuck and if that was my kids and some old man did that i would rip his tongue off and feed it to him

Yeah fair call, culture & religion is so often is used as an excuse to justify fucked up behaviour.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 8:13pm

Then Huey said ,, ‘Let there be swell; and there was swell. And Huey saw that the swell was good; and Huey separated the swell from the flatness. And Huey called the swell 'Surf'.

And Huey said, ‘Let there be a cylinder in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.’ So Huey made the cylinder and separated the waters that were under the cylinder from the waters that were above the cylinder. And it was so. Huey called the cylinder the 'Tube'. And he said it was good.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 8:20pm

Haha… it’s true ;)

And we all agreed.