Most annoying use of slo-mo, ever

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 9:17am
thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 9:17am

But, some nice waves - looks like a fun joint. Zen, have you surfed here? 

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 9:55am

Gold medal for Japan.

I think Tim's tribute to Tyson was the only slow mo I have seen that is any good.

The rest should be banned, our maybe they should have disclaimers in the opening edit.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 12:56pm

Loads of excellent waves in the southern Japanese islands. Surfed down there every year for 15 years.Ooops, said that as if I still live there. I don't rate Okinawa as good as some of the other islands where it can be just you, a couple of turtles and the surf in crystal clear water and a tropical setting.

Miyazaki has great waves: Shoguns with terrible slow mo, and uppercut yourself music that the Japanese excel at-

A better spot same area but aussie music:

A gorgeous river mouth that when on is fckin magic . more shitty music:

Slow mo that will do your head in:

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 1:37pm

Never been to Okinawa Ben. Want to and heard good things about a place called Ishigakijima.

I've surfed out at the Izu islands and pretty much the length of Chiba to Iwate. My main surfing area is northern Ibaraki. We have some smokin' waves in our area but not much decent vid exists. The locals are not too fond of advertising and Tokyo surfers don't exactly have the welcome mat rolled out for them.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 1:54pm

This is my area. It was filmed at a place called Kusoshita which means literally 'under the shit'. It gets really good waves, probably a bit like D'bah. I know most of these fellas in the vid or at the very least to say g'day to in passing. There's some really good surfers in my area but as you can see it's pretty bloody cold and it aint real pretty. 

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 2:19pm

There are many places in Japan referred to as "kusoshita". In actual fact the word means that there is a sewage plant nearby with the pipe releasing its effluent directly into the lineup.

I used to love Ibaragi in winter. Lots of low pressure systems passing, lots of places to surf, fck all crew in the water. There is an excellent righthand point up in northern Ibaragi, quite reasonable breaks between the tetras all the way along the south even in summer.

One of my fave places used to be in front of the nuclear reactor on the miura peninsular just inside Tokyo bay.In winter the water coming out of the pipe was warm, snow on the beach and three eyed Homer Simpson fish around the joint.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 4:44pm

Hey Zen. Beautiful clip - thanks for posting it.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 4:50pm

Cheers Jacko, kinda sums up our area well. Just normal people, going about their business quietly.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 4:58pm

Yeah - spent only a little time in Japan (only in Tokyo and surrounds and a long time ago now) but been fortunate to have some good Japanese friends in Oz. Love the place and people. Quietly into surfing, music, and a whole lot of great shit. Lotsa commitment. Little fuss.

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 6:10pm

Is slo mo the most overused and overrated (not so) special effect in video making?

as soon as i hit it in a video i stop watching