Ghost Riders 'the future of big wave surfing'

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Tuesday, 16 Jun 2015 at 5:31pm

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 7:11pm
udo wrote:

Barrister for sure Roy- Fucking loved your correspondence with McCoys lawyer.

Haha thanks yeah the word at law school was that i would make a top defence lawyer, but I didn't like the company of lawyers so left and built dream house in raglan went on the dole went surfing instead.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 7:38pm

So you keen to throw a few dollars my way Roy ?

I'll send you some photos cause I'm doing it for your viewing pleasure.

If anyone out there is considering adding to Roy's self gratification slush fund , then you should immediately - 1 : Give yourself an uppercut.

2 : Go buy a lotto ticket with the $10 you would have donated and give yourself a chance at fulfilling your own surfing dreams as opposed to some one else's ego massage program.

If you think I'm being harsh Roy, then apologies mate, but you were surely expecting it when you put your hand out .

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 7:32pm

Got a little nubster future mould of Roy;);)..... awhile back to chuck in my really wide 5'10" quad ,wide tailed board....? now its like a truster, so much direction , Fucken unreal.... ;).... And so fast, faster.
Yeeeewwwwwww
Dynamic for sure way better, than any fin I've used for this set up.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 7:34pm
Roy Stuart wrote:
Blowin wrote:

I

It's called promotion in pursuit of the dollar Rabbits.

And why not I say ?

Nah that's not what it's about.

Money's just necessary to get things done, if it was just about money I'd have been a barrister or a builder these past 20 years.

With all due respect Roy, promotion aside, have you not currently got enough money to get this project done?? Cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 7:39pm

Gots any pics of your truster set up Welly.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 7:42pm
Blowin wrote:

Left or right...?

Goofey or nat....ur..........ALL....?

No-one on here can figure that one out haha......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 7:44pm
udo wrote:

Gots any pics of your truster set up Welly.

Secret NZ stuff Udo sorry;)

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 10:34pm
Blowin wrote:

If anyone out there is considering adding to Roy's self gratification slush fund , then you should immediately - 1 : Give yourself an uppercut.

2 : Go buy a lotto ticket with the $10 you would have donated and give yourself a chance at fulfilling your own surfing dreams as opposed to some one else's ego massage program.

If you think I'm being harsh Roy, then apologies mate, but you were surely expecting it when you put your hand out .

It's ok to dislike and/or misunderstand the idea.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 10:35pm
wellymon wrote:

Got a little nubster future mould of Roy;);)..... awhile back to chuck in my really wide 5'10" quad ,wide tailed board....? now its like a truster, so much direction , Fucken unreal.... ;).... And so fast, faster.
Yeeeewwwwwww
Dynamic for sure way better, than any fin I've used for this set up.

Stoked!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 21 Jun 2015 at 11:34pm

'I'm lost with all this, it's insider stuff obviously.'

Yeh, I've known camel for a long time, since his first surf here, when he paddled out with a couple of WA sponno groms in tow. When he kept coming back for more. As for soufl'e, completely different story... never met or heard of him. He's virtually never surfed here. Ala the list, but he's got all the connected, groovy, important inside stuff happening here (benny and goofball will vouch for that), that he needs to protect from local baddies. All the real secret, secret stuff, that he pioneered... and all without virtually ever surfing here too! Wiva boat too. Amasing really. That list, I thought I'd heard everything in the carpark over the years. But, never 'nah, not fur me aye, I'll charge too faarkin ard I wiwll!!! Ludicrous.

'one wave /town is not the entire coast .'

Duh, gee really. Wow, thanks for that secret inside knowledge. Lucky you know all the spots eh! On your drive through. Idiot. Ludicrous. Give up, you know fuck all about here. I had the money, means and time to surf when and where I liked. You virtually never surfed here. You dodged it. Others love it. You the main man in Vic now too? Yeh really?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 12:04pm

Your an idiot uppity .
Where do you surf now that fishoes , has become the
Latest " shark hotspot " , does Boston's really count as your local ?!
I never said I was some Vicco legend . Quite the contrary , my best surfing
Was always done away .
You must have felt really self important when you ran that caravan park .
With all the soft travellers shacking up in your park to take on
the " desert coast " .
One thing is for sure Mick , I've never let my lack of skill get in the
way of my ambition . Tending to bight off more than I can chew .
From what I hear , all that time you were there you never really pushed
" your comfort zone " . ! So all that fitness , all that deluxe muscle , doesn't get you
Anywhere with a pea heart and feeble mind game .

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 12:41pm

Hey chaps,

If you have an interest in this project or anything reasonably related to it then let's hear it.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 1:16pm
southey wrote:

Your an idiot uppity .
Where do you surf now that fishoes , has become the
Latest " shark hotspot " , does Boston's really count as your local ?!
I never said I was some Vicco legend . Quite the contrary , my best surfing
Was always done away .
You must have felt really self important when you ran that caravan park .
With all the soft travellers shacking up in your park to take on
the " desert coast " .
One thing is for sure Mick , I've never let my lack of skill get in the
way of my ambition . Tending to bight off more than I can chew .
From what I hear , all that time you were there you never really pushed
" your comfort zone " . ! So all that fitness , all that deluxe muscle , doesn't get you
Anywhere with a pea heart and feeble mind game .

Thats what you gotta love about blax, the stories it wrings out of them. All your ludicrous bullshit, the too hard chargin' swiss cheese dribble, because you shit yourself and dodged blax. But, since you were forged in heaps tougher zones, after you shit yourself at blacks, all them old locals found ya and took ya in, and told ya all them secrets, but ya knew ya had to pioneer onwards!!!

Look its a bird, its a plane its a... its a fucking high chair... with a fucking chicken in it... its swill nut man...!!!

Your so full of ludicrous shit... again. More of your 'insider' kid on the rocks crap. More Qld'er, but not Qld'er tripe.

I am interested Roy, because what I know of camsless, he has always thought outside the square, and done pretty good backing himself doing it. Even that first surf with him over here, the guys with him were sponsored, and he wasn't, yet they were helpless, terrified in the type of surf that he revelled in. That scenario grated on him.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 1:29pm

Lopez & Pipeline
Hakman & Sunset
M.P & Kirra
Aikau & Waimea
Upsydaisy & Blax
Synonymous with each other till the end

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 1:39pm

Goofball (and bennie) & brokeback chicken soufl'e... highchair blax dodger/west coast pioneer/vicco main man

Synonymous with each other till the end.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 1:42pm

Hahah just had a lol.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 1:44pm

I really missed those few months you were in the sin bin uppy

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 2:44pm

goofyfoot wrote:

I really missed those few months you were in the sin bin uppy

Self imposed sin bin, I gotta add. No one here blew any whistles.

A few horns got tooted but that's another matter.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 4:06pm

Goofy , he went shopping . Okay
There I said it .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 8:27pm

hey guys this big swell in the indian .... i want to go & surf it on roys board , my board , mostly want to get there , sponsorship needed . p.s. still at school , dont heckle me too badly .

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 9:56pm

If ya pay back herro, he reckons he'll chuck...

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 22 Jun 2015 at 9:57pm

... some in.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 6:19am

This sponsorship thing camel, you've been trying to whore yourself on here for a few years now, but it's not working is it.

Ever thought of getting a job and pay your own way, have you ever had a job?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 6:55am

Yeah being an employee is so awesome, everyone should do it.

;)

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 7:47am
shaun wrote:

This sponsorship thing camel, you've been trying to whore yourself on here for a few years now, but it's not working is it.

Ever thought of getting a job and pay your own way, have you ever had a job?

Hang on Shaun , didn't you say " that for a long time ( perhaps still ) , you " worked for yourself " so to speak ..... ?! Just on a " promotional tour " at the moment are we ?! ;-))

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 9:47am

i work for myself , save some money and go for surf trips been doing it all my life southy
.Works for me and get to keep my dignity

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 9:55am
shaun wrote:

i work for myself , save some money and go for surf trips been doing it all my life southy
.Works for me and get to keep my dignity

A frigging cartel, get outa here! ;)

Take off on 50 foot wave checklist: dignity intact ... check... have a job... check.... good to go...

As you were.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 11:12am

I like it Roy. Could you possibly devise a similar checklist to get Soufl'e down the face (shit, even the cliff for that matter) at Blax? The one(s) as below that he's using at the moment have all failed dismally.

Brokeback chicken souf'le take off at blax in a highchair (fuck the dignity) checklist: wrong turnoff... check... might charge too hard... check... risk reward calcs not adding up... check... check with goofball and bennie... check... 'the kid' on the rocks, but not on the rocks... check... good not to go... mmmmaaaaayyyyyte!!!!

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 11:51am

Mirror , Check ...... Lube check ....
Repeat x 100 .

Now your good to go surf sleaford .

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 12:06pm

Still dodging it! Thrashed!!! Drilled!!! Without even getting wet!!!

But at least now you jump to command at the mention of your name... brokeback chicken soufl'e... now you answer perfectly to your name! Its a start, those first baby steps! Soon you might venture out of the highchair!!!

Lube??? Lube??? what do you mean?

This:

'I have been privy to info from older guys over the years'

Oh no, you haven't been 'privying' yourself to them older guys again?

What will the yanks think!!!

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 23 Jun 2015 at 5:39pm

What will the yanks think go Big"Red"

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 8:45am

Roy, How will you be laminating these boards, Cloth type , resin etc
Caml likes them glassed to last ....weight not being a being to him, will you be glassing them all the same ?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 9:29am
udo wrote:

Roy, How will you be laminating these boards, Cloth type , resin etc
Caml likes them glassed to last ....weight not being a being to him, will you be glassing them all the same ?

I've done one with 3 layers of 10oz top and bottom and she's a bit too light at only 16 pounds for a ten footer, so I'll go for four layers on the next one. I've also been doing 3d glass which is about four times as strong as 3 layers of ten for the same weight, it's a bitch to use but worth it... will probably have to add a layer or two of ten oz over the 3d glass to get the weight up though.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 9:35am

roy are they so light still because u are using eps foam ? & stringer size / weight ?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 9:36am

The asymmetrical ten footer mentioned above:

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 9:47am
caml wrote:

roy are they so light still because u are using eps foam ? & stringer size / weight ?

Yeah the foam's pretty light, 2 pound eps and stringerless. I deduce that most gun makers are getting weight by using heavier foam, but that doesn't make sense from a strength to weight point of view, stringers don't either.

EPS is the only sensible option as the shapes can't be easily achieved using moulded blanks as they are essentially pre shaped, limiting the possibilites. We get the rocker and profile cut to the exact curve we need, a 'no tolerance' blank as far as deck and bottom go.

So, the order of the day is to dial up more glass.

I've noticed that with heavy glassing and a light core the boards get a resonance which is similar to a hollow wooden board... rather nice for the ride.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 12:26pm

Roy
that green asymmetric is for a goofy footer ?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 12:41pm

Yes, although not to the point where it won't go well for a natural.

I have an even more etreme asym in the works too.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 1:25pm

roy one of the features of all the boards i use & somthing i have worked on for years is the safety nose and tail . i know you promote the round nose , but the tail is pretty pointed. im always getting round tails too .wont use swallows or pins that are sharp . it gives me confidence and is safer for me and anyone else it might hit ( not part of the plan ) but can you explain the need for that tail ?

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 1:39pm

What sort of fin setup are you going to use on those things also?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 2:02pm

The tail wards off all those pricks that keep taking off deeper.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 4:25pm
caml wrote:

roy one of the features of all the boards i use & somthing i have worked on for years is the safety nose and tail . i know you promote the round nose , but the tail is pretty pointed. im always getting round tails too .wont use swallows or pins that are sharp . it gives me confidence and is safer for me and anyone else it might hit ( not part of the plan ) but can you explain the need for that tail ?

Hi Jeff,

Here's a look at a typical tail: it's probably blunter or about the same as your safety noses I imagine, certainly not sharp as it has a substantial 'flat' surface at the end.

They look ultra sharp when being shaped as the curves converge at the tail but part of it gets taken off to make a blunt surface

Regarding the tail design, it's vital to the design, can you watch youtube on your device? I can send a video explanation.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 4:31pm
carpetman wrote:

What sort of fin setup are you going to use on those things also?

1) Single fin: The boards have boxes so anything goes but we are doing Spitfires a lot, with or without bumpy leading edges.

2) asymmetrical singles: Video explanation coming up shortly ( tonight)

3) In line singles: video explanation coming up tonight.

4) Single plus tunnel: Not for these Ghost boards as we use a different rocker for the tunnel equipped boards with a flatter tail. They'll come a bit later.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 11:36pm

This was great as well;)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 6 Jul 2015 at 6:18pm

Only $US 235 raised so Roys going to dig in to his pockets to get a couple of boards out to some riders
good man....wild looking square tail on that board Roy .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 6 Jul 2015 at 6:46pm

Roy please send or post here the video link with you tube. Roys keen to get us on his boards down on the south coast . Heath & i will put it to the test .

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Monday, 6 Jul 2015 at 6:51pm

Hi Caml what video are you after?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 6 Jul 2015 at 10:53pm
Roy Stuart wrote:
caml wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Here's a look at a typical tail: it's probably blunter or about the same as your safety noses I imagine, certainly not sharp as it has a substantial 'flat' surface at the end.

They look ultra sharp when being shaped as the curves converge at the tail but part of it gets taken off to make a blunt surface

Regarding the tail design, it's vital to the design, can you watch youtube on your device? I can send a video explanation.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 6 Jul 2015 at 10:54pm

See above roy . Thanks

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 6 Jul 2015 at 10:56pm

Sorry to cuttlefish & boneroni for the offensive language earlier in the thread