Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 11 Aug 2024 at 8:48pm

Icelandic Song Book

"Yes to food is yes to life."

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 11 Aug 2024 at 9:55pm

https://m.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 12 Aug 2024 at 11:02am

?si=NU6NgJOCqL7p2LT8

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 12 Aug 2024 at 11:55am

This Tune was rolled out for Munich Surftown opening...
Sure...a little tricky to track the small sample > Nod to them Lyric Finders...worked a treat!

Most of 'Men I Trust' tunes a melancholic Ministry of Sound!
Whole band are super clever arrangers but prefer being wallflowers...all are cool with that...
Can hear they could play any style from Lounge > Funk > Disco...but what about New Wave!
Fuck yeah! Like to hear them give that a crack...should sound pretty cool hey!

This Brilliant track slots neatly between (Wire > 'Men I trust' < Flock of Seagulls)
Might have to dig out another cool Canadian New Wave act hiding themselves away!
You'll hear this band are natural New Wave Godz but play it down...need to change that!

Some deft hands twiddling all yer wavelength dials..."Stop! That hits the spot...No one move!"
Getting fully immersed in this brainwashing wavelength scam...feel better now!
That's some Ultra Cool Brain Scan dude...Buzzzz! Humming along nicely!
Book another $200 New Wave Pool Therapy session for next week...Hell Yeah! Take my money!

Ok! tbb can't bookend Men I trust combo but can pair another similar UK Artist Goldfrapp!
Also bigger in Canada than US...can hear that Similar Northern Ice-scaper Slow groove.
Goldfrapp another Wallpaper Act then they record this Mind blowing New Wave Gem...OMG.
tbb loves this track & yes! Absolutely makes perfect sense to combo a New Wave Chix Kick Flip Trick!
This track fits the double bill as the first track...both are Gems left on the shelf...just ripe for the picking.
Both are yer next fav songs forever & ever...Salute whoever slipped these uptight chix their New Wave Trips!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 12 Aug 2024 at 5:48pm

Something tune related but from intellectual side

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/bands-music-oasis-blur-spotify-al...

Is it really true that the ROI makes it so bands can't go big like they used to in the charts? Be interested to hear the views of you music afficionados on this one.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 12 Aug 2024 at 9:12pm

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Tuesday, 13 Aug 2024 at 1:46pm

Will be witnessing the unbridled enthusiasm of Scott Vogel & Terror live in a couple of weeks. Should be good fun.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 10:52pm

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 14 Aug 2024 at 11:03pm

;)

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 12:24am

Sweet sounding Sonny melted a few hearts bordering along Canada...sadly passed away in 2017

Treasure these rare 2nd Chance Titles...( Time won't Let Me + Precious & Few )
Was about 10yrs as whole world stopped to listen to 'Precious & Few' ~ Climax! (Pure Love it is!)
27yrs old rifled thru Nuggets to dig out 60's sweet voiced US Mods The Outsiders : 'Time Won't let Me'

As Years go by with occasional passing nod to either either trax without need for review...just enjoy!

As Song says Time won't let me but at aged 60 yrs..Precious & Few are the moments two can share!
Now Listen closer tbb & what do you hear...OMG! It's the same singer with the same message...Stoked!

Sharing special moments can be sounded out in song!
Very little written about 'these Trax together' along with singer Sonny Geraci...
This review is quite good...lends a little insight into Sonny's way of life.
https://onehitwondersthebook.com/?page_id=17300
Also some personal Share comments on YouTube Vidz...pretty cool!

Also sharing that life offers up rewards for those that endlessly seek treasure...wot prize matters not!
Happy to share the treasure...Enjoy the sweet tones of Sonny...special treat for the crew!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 10:10am

Not sure this belongs in this thread but if you're a fan, or maybe once were, then this clip by NC is worth a watch. Cave is articulate of course, but equally notable is Stephen Colbert's deft handling of the conversation, leaning into tricky matters such as art and death without pretension or affectation.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 10:51am

Great interview with Nick by Leigh Sales on Australian Story last Monday.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 15 Aug 2024 at 9:22pm

while people have the nick cave on their mind, this blew my mind in 1994, realised there were worlds that 90s 'alt-artists' were interested in, beyond the festivals and t-shirt sales.. Kurt Weill tribute with some incredible berlin-americana-steampunk staging, PJ Harvey's was a fave, seeing where Alabama Song came from, Betty Carter singing outside of nearly every note.. barely a dud, but crossing genres within an interesting bloke's songbook.. (2 hours, but the rains have started falling here)

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 7:11pm

'bon chance', bigfella

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 16 Aug 2024 at 11:19pm

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 12:24am
stunet wrote:

Not sure this belongs in this thread but if you're a fan, or maybe once were, then this clip by NC is worth a watch. Cave is articulate of course, but equally notable is Stephen Colbert's deft handling of the conversation, leaning into tricky matters such as art and death without pretension or affectation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8qmV6MYCF4

by 11:23, it goes from affectation howdy-doody puppet-show, to real conversation, totally get why you'd appreciate SC's handling of it, transforms the convo.
@Jelly, going fishing with dad vibe, unreal, powerful force, even if fleeting or infrequent.. went to yorkes annually with mine through important years. still on the beaches with my donkey of a dad. fished too little with my son, he likes it, but doesn't have the freak. that's ok, he has other things that I'll learn about.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 9:54pm

No idea why these videos popped up in my feed, but its just so cool to see the musical talent and knowledge of these musician's, some people are just so damn gifted.

Im always skeptical on them really having not heard the songs though, how is that possible?

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 10:01pm

I'm with ya on that, Indo. Saw a thing in my YouTube feed the other day where we get to watch a guy listen to Stairway To Heaven for the first time. I'm like, how in the hell can THAT be?! I didn't watch, though it woulda been mildly interesting.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 10:03pm

@basesix
Loving the Taj Mahal!!!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 10:18pm

ha, yeh, I still get this version as an ear worm when driving pre-dawn for a fish:

(it was on a tv show in the 90s, no idea what, I think this is the version, right speed..)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 10:25pm

Yep that’s the tempo on the 1992 best of album I know.
First heard of him watching Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus
This is an original by Taj and guitarist Jesse Ed Davis. The Stones stoners sent Jesse down a dark path.

?si=x2gYfDtRCqQRUwcl

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 10:40pm

good stuff.. givitup, givitup, givitup, givitup, givitup, givitup, givitup, givitup,

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 10:50pm

That was great. edit and yes I love that in his singing
Reckon it’s still the same bass player?

?si=DTApZyJk9sSE-nq8

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 10:53pm

^^ another ear worm

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 11:05pm

^^ be amazing to be in his entourage. love a good live clip. how's the youtube comments of those who've met him? some kid got a queen bee guitar, another had a harmonica jam with him in a shop.. what a legend.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 11:14pm

I was lucky enough to see him in 98 I think at the blues fest.
He was on the keys

?si=bv1Kzby3tgPXoQRN

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 17 Aug 2024 at 11:19pm

I love Taj’s version of this plus a bit of interesting info below. I’d forgotten all about it until tonight

?si=HXgNPvcNLaJpKKt3

https://www.americanbluesscene.com/2011/03/a-brief-musical-history-of-ca...

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 18 Aug 2024 at 11:41am

loved the info in the article @seeds, cheers. that was a great saturday night listening session : )

well done perth, you guys get TWO hard-ons shows, after their european 40th anniversary tour (adelaide doesn't even get a side-show) - the monday at the barwon club (nov 4) would be my pick, fer sure! wally's 'exhilarated'!
https://sound-merch.com.au/collections/hard-ons/products/hard-ons-i-like...

edit: actually soapbox in bris would be fun, 3 days off their europe tour, after travel. is that a craft brewery in fortitude valley?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 18 Aug 2024 at 7:36pm

Cat Empire's fight against stage fright is applauded & rewarded by loyal subjects.

Fellow Qldurr JG is a polite campaigner of Social Justice on the world stage.
Up until now...none ever even noticed...all are cool with that!

Aussie Composer Connor D'Netto dedicated a Piano Solo "Witness" to kindred slain innocents.
Note! MSO could've checked on suitability or not of World Premiere dedication...

JG simply rocks up on stage & relays the dedication verb then performs the World Premiere!
Straight up presentation by an innocent performer...got him booted outta the Program by some Overlord.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08-17/musicians-vote-no-condience-mso-g...

Welcome home bro!
Qldurrz hear ya loud & clear brother...we left that world behind with our Dictator...or so we thought!
Joh's censorship bug must have snuck into Southern Cousin's boogie board bags...staging a comeback!

Qldurrz feel responsible! Not on our watch...not today...call it out!
Stop the Warmongering Censorship of hearts and minds!
Get with the Program! [ Make Peace Not War ]

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 18 Aug 2024 at 8:15pm

Tune. All-time chorus.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 18 Aug 2024 at 8:43pm

^ best credits, turning their song into an after-school no-wave 'theme song'..
heady days, them synthy, sexy choruses (ex hex has da very early 80s ping-pong reverb and spit-lyric attitude, but:

I proudly own both S&S vinyls, took a while to get the second, two dollars when it came by)

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 18 Aug 2024 at 8:38pm
blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 18 Aug 2024 at 8:58pm

I meant to add, $2 well spent. I tried for the goofy pun with the title of the last track, but a band I would gladly pay to see play.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 18 Aug 2024 at 9:09pm

well done to those that helped with the Adelaide Crown & Anchor protest today and the last months:

Mr Simms said the case had exposed major shortcomings in heritage and planning laws, which he said were "stacked in favour of developers. We are delighted to hear that an act of parliament will be put on the table, but we'll be looking at the details to ensure it provides the level of protection that's required here," he said. "This whole campaign I think has really demonstrated the flaws within our state's planning laws. Unless we change the law, we're going to see other iconic pubs and buildings in the firing line."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08-18/crown-and-anchor-hotel-protected-...
or if you have 9: https://www.9now.com.au/9news-latest-news/season-2024/clip-clzzdkv3h004a...

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 12:28am

Here's a great, great interview with Nick Cave. Very recent too.
I hope it finds its way to anyone who needs it right now.
Some powerful words of wisdom passed on.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 6:39am
basesix wrote:

^ best credits, turning their song into an after-school no-wave 'theme song'..
heady days, them synthy, sexy choruses (ex hex has da very early 80s ping-pong reverb and spit-lyric attitude, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZElbix-nf4
I proudly own both S&S vinyls, took a while to get the second, two dollars when it came by)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIbqyF-KoZI

Haha classic.
Loved that show when early teenager.
David Reyne was so dam cool. Ha.
Saw his brother live a few weeks back playing oz crawl. Great show.
Fark getting old. :)

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 11:15am

Boyz Next Door records were smuggled thru on 1980 Punk Bikerz Border Runs
1978 Lethal Weapons "Boys Next Door" White Vinyl (tbb has 1 of GC 2 that we knew!
1979 Door Door LP Also Southern Contraband > made it up to Northern Goldie Goths.

LP anchored merging & diverging unisex Punk/Goth Tribes...Goldie swear by this record.
Next ep/Birthday Party LP's fell flat...Pretentious half baked Swagger for Swing army Chix
1981 Shock Punk Single: Release the Bats / Blast Off > metal/shock/punks/goths/swamps
Launched Promo with em Hypno Snake Skull T Shirts had a short life...
tbb dated & married local Goth & we were both early Cave dwellers & hung in there.
Both luv the Door Door LP + Bats...never played her 2 pretentious Birthday Party LPs

1994 Seeds gig The Singer + drip fed Red Right Hand 1996 BDO + Mercy Seat all good!
Later on tbb was still Ok with the cutsie Kylie Cover thang...as said still in the loop...
To get more of that seedy Cave sound tbb ventured back to the roots to suck out the juice!
More than stoked to save ya some time & share where the Cave digging leads yer!

Punk / Goth fans will know the Door Door LP is deeply rooted in Ultravox LP Ultravox
1977 UK Ultravox LP : Sells the Punk belter > Butch-Intersex > Life / Death
Both are insane breakthru bookend LP's which owe a heap to equally insane Psychomodo

1974 Steve Harley > Sling it from Psychomodo is cavemania

&t=1s

1969 Sean Bonniwell > Dark White...by Music Machine (Caves yer Head in!)

1969 Link Wray : Genocide '96 Oz cave collapse was so heavy...brutal it was!

1961 Tarantulas : Tarantula > This is the source of Nick's seedy brew...all are hooked!
Don't need words for the Bomb Clean-up Set...please take me master!
That's tbb's kinda Davey Jones sarcophagus aftershock alarm clock...Set & Forget!

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 1:10pm

Unreal. Thanks TBB! Will give them all a listen.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 1:27pm

well, sling one of my gloves to damnation, and ask a roman to stab holes in me amp, that was a fun listen, TBB. looking online a 'tarantula' 45 is one of those kinda reachable collectables, if it wasn't for that dang usa shipping !

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 8:49pm

I've had T.Rex/marc bolan's cosmic dancer as an ear worm for a few months.

not real up on my 70s glam, but worked out what it was, and then started wondering what the songs were that my brain had started inserting into the 'oh.. oh-oh' bit.

I have worked out the main ones, bowie, beatles, the cheap trick one (just the bit from 1:00 - 1:30) took a while, but I think there's one with a George Harrisonny voice singing something like 'don't be afraid' that slots in too, sounds nearly EXACTLY like the cheap trick bit 'lonely is only a place' but doesn't go up after.. haven't pegged it.

(actually the cheap trick film clip is a nice connect to @blackers' Ex Hex post.. cosby-jumper guitarist has a yellow Hamer Standard, the singer from Ex Hex has similar but with the snakehead instead of hockey-stick headstock... blitz, reissue, standard are all models, don't know enough about it. funky look though)

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 9:31pm

One for you TBB.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 9:34pm

Good stuff TBB.
Link Wray and Jesse Ed Davis are featured in the doco Rumble. The Indians who rocked the world.
Got no idea where you can watch it now.

?si=khLVt9lOdtBe18eZ

Watched Birthday Party yesterday by chance and it struck me Jane’s Addiction might have adopted some imagery from Nick the Stripper for their live clip Mountain Song and the artwork for Jane’s live album at the time.

?si=lZgTNIqQ_PRq64Pb
?si=JTns05WvED5XSEjR

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 19 Aug 2024 at 11:13pm

Blackers that is one deceptive image.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 20 Aug 2024 at 8:14am
seeds wrote:

Blackers that is one deceptive image.

Apologies, should have come with a rating. Great track though.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 20 Aug 2024 at 8:17am

Shit man, I haven’t even listened to it. Too busy dreaming.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 20 Aug 2024 at 9:22am

I saw Guantanamo Baywatch once at Barwon Club, nice Jane's obs, @seeds, frontmen are a very self-aware lot, and certainly know the schtick of those who've preceded them, esp the ones who've raised the bar..

as has been mention before, brissy's slug guts did one of the best birthday party homages that've been done (though I believe they got sick of the comparison, and felt they were subtler and funnier) before they imploded after the cliche overseas tour personality disasters.

(their famous circle jerk clip for 'scum' has been posted a few times on SN previously..
but if anyone can help with their last request to the public 7 years ago, haha:
"A strange return with a strange request: Does anyone have audio or footage from Slug Guts doing "In The Raw" with Stu Spasm from Lubricated Goat in New York on that last tour?")

(that Rumble movie looks interesting)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 20 Aug 2024 at 9:31am

It’s a cracker b6

?si=cNAiSGw_2hx4Rr3y

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Tuesday, 20 Aug 2024 at 3:51pm

@seeds - very astute clip. You can't have all that tremolo picking in both genres without some sort of overlap. *insert Venn diagram*

Same, same but different is the Birdcage from Melbourne. All dudes with impressive metal credentials playing surf rock. Past (and current) bands include Blood Duster, Fuck...I’m Dead, Cut Sick, Useless Children, The Ruiner and The Day Everything Became Nothing.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 20 Aug 2024 at 7:03pm

Lotsa sounds there. Groovy.
Some more to complete the chain from Melbourne to Texas.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 20 Aug 2024 at 7:28pm

Lotsa sounds there. Groovy.
Some more to complete the chain, from Melbourne to Texas.