Next Federal Election

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno started the topic in Monday, 22 Jan 2024 at 2:15pm

Might as well put this up in the politics subforum, to spare the front page. It's 18 months away or so, but here we go.

This is how Dutton wins:

https://www.afr.com/politics/enter-the-liberal-party-working-class-heroe...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 4:51pm

the harnessing of commercial property particularly smart

and their points about social license, land aquisition, and the ridiculous amount of poles and wires required is spot on

I really really really think labor need to revise parts of their plan

and, no matter how half baked, delusional, and desperate dutton's 'plan' is... labor really need to get wiser about the debate...

they clearly have adopted a 2 or 3 talking point strategy

again...

sigh

and are either forced / terrified / or too stupid to be able to go off script

this is what the public is so sick and tired of...

tired pathetic politicians, repeating the same tired pathetic lines to questions

over and over

it's so contrived and scripted its nauseating

we saw it with the voice

we've seen it with immigration

cost of living...

etc. etc.

It's just plain disrespectful to the public

and, once again, the public is having the discussion anyway

be it with or without them...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 5:03pm

Chalmers called Dutton's nuclear announcement the "stupidest policy idea ever put by an Australian political party,"
He's not far wrong.
Australia will never, repeat never, build a nuclear reactor to provide base power to the grid.
It will never happen. Ever.

Dutton didn't take it to the party room (and some of them are pissed at that), he made a policy announcement with no costings, no detail (remember "detail", he was big on that for the Voice, not so much for this heap of bullshit), issued a one page press release and a tweet with an artist rendition of an SMR, technology that doesn't commercially exist, can't be done, that he stole from Rolls Royce's website.
And we are all supposed to take that seriously and have a national debate about it?
He promises costings at some time in the future and that he wants Australians to consume his bullshit in "bite sized grabs".
That is not an energy policy, it's not even a plan. It's a "vibe".
Designed not to create cheaper electricity, not to secure base load power or reach net zero.
It is to confuse and stifle investment in renewables and continue the reliance on and profits of the coal and gas industry.
The LNP know full well they will never control the Senate again, the prohibition on nuclear federally will never be lifted just to start.
Never mind the other two dozen reasons Dutton's "plan" it not possible.
It's another culture war play, that's all they've got. And cut and pastes of stolen artwork of technology that doesn't exist. It's Dutton following the Trump-Bannon-MAGA playbook of flooding the zone with shit.
Wait a week, this 'debate' will have run it's course. they'll have a new one up and going. All the way to the election.
And if they win, then they blame Labor and the Greens, and probably the Teals and Holmes a Court, for why the nuke idea can't happen and "oh, well, at least we've got plenty of gas and coal".
It's a Rinehart production, this movie, seen it before, she's one of the executive producers.
That's why the plot is so boring and predictable.
And a waste of time sitting through it.
No stars,

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 5:33pm

yes and no

it was a very pretty picture...

so clean and green

looked wonderful - in a dreamy utopian sense of the word...

chalmers... yes, tend to agree...

however, this 'debate' has got legs of it's own... largely brought about by labor's own stupidity and aloofness...

as I mentioned before, some in the libs have a nutty obsession for nukes, so I disagree there is no intention to follow through with it, in some form or another...

I was only half watching, so may have missed something, but ABC had some constructional lawyer commenting last night, and she seemed to suggest the government process could be overridden for issues such as power generation

re. the tech, the libs minister on 7.30 report mentioned a state in the US is already powering ahead with this tech. and that we could follow suit in a few years, as it is slowly becoming commercially viable... I wasn't totally convinced, but I think it's a bit black and white obnstinate dismissive to say this tech ain't happening... or about to...

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 6:14pm
Supafreak wrote:

Thanks for that post TBB , so spud reckons he can do it in 12 years and for good reasons won’t mention for how much, fark he’s a total tripper. What’s frightening is people will actually vote for this ringmaster of clowns .

So you trust Bowen in charge of wind farms in the ocean supre?
Or taking up prime farm land with solar?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 6:15pm
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Thanks for that post TBB , so spud reckons he can do it in 12 years and for good reasons won’t mention for how much, fark he’s a total tripper. What’s frightening is people will actually vote for this ringmaster of clowns .

Don’t know anything about it , I’m sure you can enlighten me with your knowledge on the subject .

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 6:25pm
sypkan wrote:

yes and no

it was a very pretty picture...

so clean and green

looked wonderful - in a dreamy utopian sense of the word...

chalmers... yes, tend to agree...

however, this 'debate' has got legs of it's own... largely brought about by labor's own stupidity and aloofness...

as I mentioned before, some in the libs have a nutty obsession for nukes, so I disagree there is no intention to follow through with it, in some form or another...

I was only half watching, so may have missed something, but ABC had some constructional lawyer commenting last night, and she seemed to suggest the government process could be overridden for issues such as power generation

re. the tech, the libs minister on 7.30 report mentioned a state in the US is already powering ahead with this tech. and that we could follow suit in a few years, as it is slowly becoming commercially viable... I wasn't totally convinced, but I think it's a bit black and white obnstinate dismissive to say this tech ain't happening... or about to...

@Sypkan
The Lib's Shadow Minister was Ted O'Brien, he's like they cloned Scomo but the clone came out even stupider. Take the time to watch the whole thing. He got eviscerated by Sarah Ferguson. The US SMR program was dropped, investors pulled out. They can't provide base power, the only ones that exist are used to prop up other reactors, China and Russia have them, Canada too, the others are all still in "planning". but they only provide mega watts, not terra watts, and are not compatible with a renewables grid.
And Dutton isn't talking about SMR's, he's talking about compulsary acuisition of privately owned assets already committed to renewable transition, for large scale reactors.
The SMR cut and paste was, like you sad, just a pretty picture, a distraction.
So do that and good luck getting private infrastructure investment in Australia, we become a sovereign risk.
Yes, the Commonwealth has the Constitutional power to do it if the States or owners object. There's plenty of heads in s51 they could use, but to do that, politically, you would blow up the federation. Not going to happen.
Yes there are some in the LNP with big nuke hard ons, but as has been pointed out, these people couldn't build a carpark when in power. They are fuckwits, incompetents and criminals.
They will never get control of the Senate. The nuke ban stays.
It's just throwing a spanner in the works to keep the gravy train running for the fossil fuel barons
Promised myself I wasn't going to get into this Dutton nuke dribble. Waste of time.
And don't get me started on Albo and the ALP either. Fark.
Think I'll concentrate on the good things about living here and shut off from this crap for a while.
Just angers me. I'd rather be happy in my little bubble. It's nice in my bubble,

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 6:27pm
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Don’t know anything about it , I’m sure you can enlighten me with your knowledge on the subject .

Well you are so sure about Dutton and Nuclear thought you must be onto it?

It’s either nuclear libs or lab wind and solar.

Maybe you like coal that’s how your hideaway runs lol :)

Bought from us.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 6:37pm

yep, pretty much as I saw it adam12

kinda funny that dutton's 'plan' is large scale, but his ministers are
'out there' defending SMR...

they are all over the shop!

it really is quite laughable, they've been rabbiting on about this shit for a decade at least, but they are fucking clueless...

as I said yesterday, dutton's whole shtick seems motivated by all the wrong reasons

the dude simply doesn't know... 'for the public good'

unbelievable the libs even think he's viable...

but, he almost is

now...

seems he's blown it now though

truly scary the election we're heading into...

so much at stake

but so much shit on offer

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 6:42pm

Embarrassing.

?feature=shared
Stick to stinking up the region with ya smug mug on every billboard telling us how you’re fighting for the Sunshine Coast.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 6:58pm
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Bought from us.

As I thought you got nothing….again

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 7:14pm
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Bought from us.

your the one sprouting off lol ;)

Supafreak wrote:

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 7:16pm

Bruce’s Brian have a look at what I just posted re Sarah Ferguson and Ted the billboard O’Brien. He’s the shadow energy minister. NFI

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 7:23pm

Saw that seeds time to move south lol

Albo was no different trying to explain the voice lol, difference he’s running the joint.

Libs or Lab all the same ;)

Must be getting expensive having all those lights on inside ;)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 7:29pm

Who’s Local, State and Federal in Coffs?
Begs the question who you’re wasting your vote on? At least here independents have a foothold that can leverage funding in return for support. Not Federally though.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 7:51pm

Just checked. At least your mayor is independent. Our ex mayor stood down to run against our independent state member this year. Suprise suprise who she’s a member of.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:02pm
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Bought from us.

Supafreak wrote:

Tell me giggles which part of the statement I made is not true ? Then explain to me, because I have no idea about the ocean wind farms . I predict you will do as you always do with everyone on every thread and come back with nothing but lol .

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:00pm
seeds wrote:

Just checked. At least your mayor is independent. Our ex mayor stood down to run against our independent state member this year. Suprise suprise who she’s a member of.

Our Mayor is a cooker, trying to make us a 15 min City lol
We have a prime journalist in the family, she won’t let anyone on council do interviews but herself.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:03pm
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Bought from us.

Supafreak wrote:

Tell me giggles which part of the statement I made is not true ? Then explain to me, because I have no idea about the ocean wind farms . I predict you will do as you always do with everyone on every thread and come back with nothing but lol .

didn’t say it wasn’t true, so you know about nuclear then? Sounds like it from your Dutton comment.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:03pm

Pot kettle

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:06pm

Must be a rage of Friday night your having seeds if your checking on the Mayor of Coffs lol ;)
Get on the Dolphins.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:11pm
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
ashsam wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Bought from us.

Supafreak wrote:

didn’t say it wasn’t true, so you know about nuclear then? Sounds like it from your Dutton comment.

Giggles I can easily admit I know very little about nuclear , however I do trust CSIRO and value their expertise and knowledge in this area . Do you actually know anything besides lol ?

?si=QL2LLF-CEs5N3LRx

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:08pm

AFL for me. A few brain cells firing in the post game interviews

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:14pm

Nuclear engineer dismisses Peter Dutton’s claim that small modular reactors could be commercially viable soon https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/article/2024/jun/21/peter-dut...

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:18pm

Go the Swans.
Played first grade for Terrigale in my 20’s.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:25pm

I’ll give you that. Well done! What was it like running out the oranges?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:30pm

?si=t8WOT0BdoxI0-ls8

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:31pm

lol, full forward or centre half forward, played from when I was about 10-25
Kicked a few fivers, used to go good after a few puffs too lol ;)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:34pm

I figured you’d be full forward. Mr Puff. In all seriousness good onya!

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:40pm

When I moved to Coffs there was no AFl on tv so got sucked into NRL.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:57pm

haha epic re. playing AFL.
Liking you more and more Ashy!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 8:59pm

“Why Dutton’s Plan for New Flying-Mermaid Cheese Planets Makes Economic Sense”https://theshovel.com.au/2024/06/21/duttons-plan-for-new-flying-mermaid-...

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 9:06pm

Hehehe that is funny. Well done the shovel!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 21 Jun 2024 at 10:11pm

IMG-7715 #bettermoneymanagers

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 3:00am

Thanx Supafreak ...(re: This exclusive VJ NFE Nuke review...21 June 2024 )
https://www.swellnet.com/forums/politico/577285?page=28
Strange how Media had the Mandatory Aukus Nuke Waste Dump News ready to Roll..
Last of $50b avg cost Nuke Plants/Mini Plants are Officially Dying or Dead in the Westworld.
Only the World's biggest Oz Nuke Dump is runnin' Red Hot!

Dumbarse Albo signing our Aukus Death Warrant
World's filthiest pack of bastards now all queuing up to Dump 100 year's Nuke waste on us!

Only thing all Pollies & All of Oz ever mandate is our Nuclear Destiny!
Always Was! Always Will Be...an Aboriginal Nuke Waste Dump for the Whole World to Shit in.
Just countin' down the days...such is our lot!
Reckon the Nuke Dump is painted in one of them Blown Up Caves...here or over there & there's another bit!

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 7:56am
Supafreak wrote:

“Why Dutton’s Plan for New Flying-Mermaid Cheese Planets Makes Economic Sense”https://theshovel.com.au/2024/06/21/duttons-plan-for-new-flying-mermaid-...

Classic!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 9:02am

There’s one real Coalition energy policy now: sabotaging renewables
Dutton's nuclear power plan is a massive distraction, designed to cover for the one solid Coalition energy policy that currently exists. For all the acres of words being written about Peter Dutton’s fantasy of seven nuclear plants, no such plants will ever be built in Australia. Yesterday’s announcement by Dutton — so devoid of substance that even the press gallery’s fence-sitters derided its lack of detail — was really about creating a cover for the one solid Coalition energy policy that currently exists.
That policy is to sabotage investment in large-scale renewable energy — or to “cap” it, as Nationals leader (and putative deputy prime minister in a Coalition government) David Littleproud put it this week.
That cap will take the form of, if you like, a de jure one in which the Coalition would cut Commonwealth funding for large-scale renewables projects and the transmission and distribution projects needed for them, leaving the only investment in renewables to be by state governments or households in rooftop solar, and a de facto one in terms of the sovereign risk that renewables investors now face.
That is, why would you plan to invest in a large-scale renewables project if you know there’s a substantial chance — according to the latest polling — that a Dutton government would move to kill off funding both for renewables and for the poles and wires needed to move the power they produce and store to households and businesses?
This sovereign risk is already worrying business, especially those that rely on infrastructure construction. “What we’re doing here is bringing in sovereign risk again into this decarbonisation debate,” one group told the Financial Review.
It’s important to understand that that’s not some minor collateral damage from Dutton’s embrace of nuclear power. It’s not some unintended consequence — it’s the entire point. The Coalition knows that policy uncertainty is bad for investment in any industry, but especially one as dependent on regulatory certainty as energy infrastructure. With investment in renewables already badly affected by the inability or refusal of state governments to expedite transmission construction, the opposition knows the kind of impact it can have on investor sentiment even when not in government. A major change of policy in Australia is never more than three years away.
Normally it’s Labor being accused of “sovereign risk”, with the Coalition posing as the business and investor-friendly side of politics. But when it comes to the energy sector, the only friends the Coalition has are in fossil fuels and the uranium industry. The fact that the Coalition wants to derail even investment currently under consideration illustrates just how obsessed with a culture war on climate change it, and its media backers at News Corp and Seven, really are.
It’s been 15 years since the Coalition turned its back on John Howard’s embrace of a carbon pricing scheme — a sensible, market-based solution to the challenges of climate policy. As the side of politics most supportive of market, rather than regulatory, solutions, the Coalition should have been the ones to champion a price-based mechanism to curb carbon emissions. Instead, under the malignant influence of News Corp, it became the party of climate denialism and conspiracy theory around basic climate science. By the time Malcolm Turnbull lost the leadership of the Liberal Party for a second time at the hands of right-wing denialists in 2018, the Coalition had moved on from rejecting market-based solutions to climate science to rejecting the possibility of climate action of any kind — Scott Morrison couldn’t even explain how Australia would ever get to his hopelessly inadequate 2050 net zero target, except by magical technological developments as yet undiscovered.
Dutton has now gone even further and is working to actively sabotage renewables investment. This is peak culture war: any economic, fiscal or philosophical logic has been abandoned in favour of the goal of destroying a hated enemy — renewable energy — no matter what the cost.
We’re all reporting this as a story about energy, about engineering, about public finance and costings and day-to-day challenges around delivering, operating and maintaining infrastructure. In fact it’s a culture war, pure and simple. And like any culture war, there’s no room for logic, evidence or reality — just enemies. https://www.crikey.com.au/2024/06/20/peter-dutton-nuclear-power-plan-ren...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 9:06am

IMG-7716

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 9:37am

supres wall of text on a Saturday morning, bought to you from paradise lol ;)
your into some cooker news websites supre

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 10:12am

What garbage Supa.

5% to 10% of nuclear would compliment renewables and make it much much more realistic to go carbon free by 2050 and in no way would prevent renewables investment or whatever.

Currently there is no real plan to go carbon free, its just build up renewables and then hope batteies etc will fill the gap, but its not proven and maybe not even realstic and most say we will need gas to provide a safety net.

Maybe the only realstic alternative is that the gas eventually gets replaced by green hydrogen, but nobody seems to be talking about this?

You guys probably wont be around in 2050 but if you are and we still havent gone carbon free im sure you will be whining about how its somehow LNP s fault while all these others countries havent put all their eggs in one basket and do have nuclear in the mix.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 10:37am

One thing is for certain, whatever the estimate is for the costing, it will be 200%-500% + more than their estimate. History has shown that governments have no idea of costings and/or time frames.
E.g Snowy Hydro 2. Est. $2B. Actual $12B and counting.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 12:25pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

What garbage Supa.

5% to 10% of nuclear would compliment renewables and make it much much more realistic to go carbon free by 2050 and in no way would prevent renewables investment or whatever.

Currently there is no real plan to go carbon free, its just build up renewables and then hope batteies etc will fill the gap, but its not proven and maybe not even realstic and most say we will need gas to provide a safety net.

Maybe the only realstic alternative is that the gas eventually gets replaced by green hydrogen, but nobody seems to be talking about this?

You guys probably wont be around in 2050 but if you are and we still havent gone carbon free im sure you will be whining about how its somehow LNP s fault while all these others countries havent put all their eggs in one basket and do have nuclear in the mix.

Do a search on Australian hydrogen, stuff being built right now a small 200mw power station in SA, major plans for the Pilbara.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 1:25pm

There's quite a lot more new intel comin' out daily on why New Mini Nukes are in now the Mix.

God Squad Bomb Factories...The HALEU effect.

This explains why Dutto is so smug...knowing God is on his side...
Also explains why tbb is stunned being preached by brotherly Nuked bible bashers.
Got a bro' in law...high up deity who preaches Nuke Power...
We just channel God's highest power to cleanse the planet...Mass Genocide!

Evangelical loons are not just praying for the end of the World they're instigating our demise!
They're the ones backing the Aukus 7x $50b Nuke Bomb Plants = $368b Aukus Cash Splash!
They can predict to the very day, hour and minute to countdown the end of the World...[ Press Here!]

These new Mini nukes are so useless they need to run on "Weapons Grade Uranium".
You get a Nuke Bomb Plant & You Get a Nuke Bomb Plant...
Gates : "Everybody gets a God Squad Nuke Bomb Plant!" KILL KILL KILL.

https://outrider.org/nuclear-weapons/articles/link-between-mormon-tithes...

https://johnmenadue.com/how-duttons-haleu-nuclear-power-could-lead-to-nu...

https://www.abc4.com/news/ap-science/ap-in-wyoming-bill-gates-moves-ahea...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 2:46pm
I focus wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

What garbage Supa.

Do a search on Australian hydrogen, stuff being built right now a small 200mw power station in SA, major plans for the Pilbara.

If this is the case and green hydrogen is a sure bet to support renewables and replace gas as that safety net, then why dont we hear this?

Where's the articles with substance on why Nuclear isnt needed because green hydrogen will do the job?

All ive seen is just the same old same old culture war bullshit about nuclear that we have seen for 30 years.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 2:49pm

“ … All ive seen is just the same old same old culture war bullshit about nuclear that we have seen for 30 years”

Ironic

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 2:52pm

Comimg from you its ironic that you think its ironic.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 6:07pm
fitzroy-21 wrote:

One thing is for certain, whatever the estimate is for the costing, it will be 200%-500% + more than their estimate. History has shown that governments have no idea of costings and/or time frames.
E.g Snowy Hydro 2. Est. $2B. Actual $12B and counting.

Same applies for solar and wind mate

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 6:28pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-58724732 ………….whoops

Britain’s flagship Hinkley Point C nuclear plant has been delayed until 2029 at the earliest, with the cost spiralling to as much as £46bn, in the latest blow to a project at the heart of the country’s long-term energy plans.

The surging bill and slipping schedule, announced on Tuesday by the French state-owned operator and constructor EDF, will put pressure on the UK government to provide extra financial support for the project……….

Under EDF’s latest scenario, one of the two planned reactors at Hinkley Point C could be ready in 2029, a two-year hold-up compared with the company’s previous estimate of 2027. But it could be further delayed to 2031 in adverse conditions, EDF said. It did not give an estimate for the second reactor. 

EDF said the cost would now be between £31bn-£35bn based on 2015 prices, depending on when Hinkley Point C was completed. In today’s prices, the cost would balloon to as much as £46bn. The initial budget was £18bn, with a scheduled completion date of 2025.

https://www.ft.com/content/1157591c-d514-4520-aa17-158349203abd

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 6:36pm

Project management 101

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Jun 2024 at 7:59pm

Imagine this mob overseeing a nuclear power plant construction . Fark me it’s entertaining watching spud & his team of better economic managers . https://theconversation.com/another-day-another-rorts-scandal-this-time-...