Another one - Port Macquarie (shark)

joakse's picture
joakse started the topic in Tuesday, 23 Jul 2024 at 2:13pm
kbomb's picture
kbomb's picture
kbomb Tuesday, 23 Jul 2024 at 10:49pm

What's that now for PMQ.....3 in 4 years?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 6:30am

Ah that's horrible news.
Wishing Kai all the best in his recovery.
So heavy.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 6:34am

I think it is now four serious attacks in PMQ since 2015 and in each instance it was probably the actions of the bystanders on the beach that saved their lives. Plus the strength of the individuals involved.

The two most recent attacks at PMQ are the only locations in NSW where there have been attacks since the implementation of the current shark management strategy. It was nice to think it was working but it could only be considered a deterrent, not a solution.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 8:23am

Not good, but glad he survived. Looks like the actions of the by-stander on the beach saved his life. Wishing him all the best with the recovery.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 8:47am

Yep, decisive application of tourniquet saved his life.

I just updated my first aid - it's a good thing to do.

There are now emergency boxes at quite a few breaks around here with emergency tourniquets and Defibs.
Makes a very big difference if there is someone nearby who is aware of that and knows how to apply emergency first aid.
An adult human only has 4.5-6 litres of blood in them.
It's crazy how quick you can bleed out.

Hope the man involved makes a full and speedy recovery.

gunther's picture
gunther's picture
gunther Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 10:03am

Hats off to the retired police officer. I always lug my shark attack first aid kit with me wherever i'm paddling out
https://bettersurf.com.au/shop/first-aid-kits/calm-as-shark-bite-first-a...

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 10:12am

Hey Gunther how are ya?
Like your parents back then you should’ve been more worried about 2 freaks from Qld picking you up at 2am in CharlesTown (was that where it was?) on route to Tabourie. I’m okay. That Gman can’t drive.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 12:25pm

Sounds like the poor guy has lost his leg.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 12:34pm
freeride76 wrote:

Sounds like the poor guy has lost his leg.

Ahhh man. That's heavy.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 1:26pm

hope to God this isnt the case ........heavy

Young surfer’s leg washed up on shore after shark attack
Shocked family and friends of a rising surf star who had his leg completely severed in a NSW shark attack say the 23-year-old has a “long road ahead”, despite whether his limb can be reattached.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 1:40pm
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre's picture
juegasiempre Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 1:50pm

Crazy lucky to have people on the beach. It's strangely remote over that side, need to do a sketchy paddle or take a ferry. I hope the kid is ok and makes a full recovery. If there is a positive out of the last two Port attacks, it's that the surfers/bystanders will help in very heavy situations and absolutely save lives through their actions.

kbomb's picture
kbomb's picture
kbomb Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 3:34pm

Does anyone have any theories as to why Port seems to be getting the attacks? Or is it just bad luck?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 4:56pm

River mouth would be up there for sure.......source of food

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 5:43pm

Dealing with Noah's , is a Surfers lot and comes with the territory .

Obviously , a horrific experience to be attacked !

Bon Chance , Kai !

Even as a Grom , I knew what a place , " feeling Sharky" , felt like .

Then go out , usually .

There was a river mouth , far north of PM , that we would never surf , even paddling across the river , felt sharky .

Surfed all the time now .

Gosh , surfing the Cape @ Byron felt too sharky ( and Whaley ).

Met a guy recently in Bali , from Perth .

Surfs WA , but comes in , if by himself .

Some places seem a bit too sharky , like PM .

I thought recently , of putting Eye Stickers , under my boards .

Should have a length of cord in my board shorts or wetsuit 2 .

gunther's picture
gunther's picture
gunther Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 6:33pm
seeds wrote:

Hey Gunther how are ya?
Like your parents back then you should’ve been more worried about 2 freaks from Qld picking you up at 2am in CharlesTown (was that where it was?) on route to Tabourie. I’m okay. That Gman can’t drive.

Yeah that was a fun weekend! I'm good mate, let's do it again

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 7:15pm

Yeah those few trips were gold! Is that the only one you came on? The couple to south coast were a big haul for a weekend for us Qlders. The Cresso and North Haven trips much better if only 8 hours driving is better.
I remember after the last you went to Melbourne to study music/guitar I think. How’d that go?

gunther's picture
gunther's picture
gunther Wednesday, 24 Jul 2024 at 9:15pm
seeds wrote:

Yeah those few trips were gold! Is that the only one you came on? The couple to south coast were a big haul for a weekend for us Qlders. The Cresso and North Haven trips much better if only 8 hours driving is better.
I remember after the last you went to Melbourne to study music/guitar I think. How’d that go?

Yeah, it was great, didn't surf much down there though! Playing a lot of music here in Newy at the moment :)

boatie's picture
boatie's picture
boatie Friday, 26 Jul 2024 at 7:07pm
boatie's picture
boatie's picture
boatie Friday, 26 Jul 2024 at 7:08pm

Cocaine sharks in Brazil

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was the title of another shark movie.

And while you'd be correct - Cocaine Shark gets 1.8/10 on IMDB - it’s also got a kernel of truth (the title, not the movie).

In the coastal waters off Rio de Janeiro, Brazilian sharpnose sharks
(Rhizoprionodon lalandii) contain cocaine.

How do we know?

Researchers dissected 13 sharks accidentally caught by fishermen off Recreio dos Bandeirantes, a seaside neighbourhood of Rio de Janeiro.

They discovered that all sharks had cocaine and benzoylecgonine — produced when the body breaks down cocaine — in their liver and muscle tissues.

How did it get there?

Well, we can be fairly sure these sharks aren't users or dealers hustling the streets.

While the popular theory of lost or dumped packs of cocaine floating around could be true, cocaine has been detected in raw sewage or it could drain into the ocean from labs refining the illicit substance.

Either way, it's concerning. Especially as cocain was found in greater concentrations in female sharks … and 5 of the 10 female sharks were pregnant.