Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 7:08pm
GuySmiley wrote:

Good on you sippy, what’s rowan dean’s view of this issue? Wait, don’t tell me as I’m guessing he’s all over it

funny you keep rattling on about sky news and dudes I don't even watch or care about...

literally haven't seen that dude's head for four years or more... anywhere...

these people live rent free in your head!

c'mon guy, give us your justification for rip curl adoptimg the dude as their new babe

because that's the position you are taking right?

or are you just being a snarky little mean girl bitch?

again...

give it to us wise one... I dare you to actually engage in the topic at hand...

for once...

supreme wanker...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 7:14pm

I personally don’t give a stuff about this issue, not sure why anyone would apart from the usual cultural war claptrap. Why do the right have such a focus on other people’s sexuality? It’s nothing to do with true liberalism more FRWNJS reactionary politics.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 7:27pm

nah wanker...

it's about being fair

and having respect for women's sport

you're just a reactionary mean girl wanker fashionista

throwing around this 'far right' rubbish like it has any meaning...

you have no credibility

just a partisan ponce retired public service wanker, with an art tutor to boot... and you still can't paint...

you suck

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 7:43pm

There is no place for a trans women in women’s sport and to drop Bethany Hamilton who is an inspiration to millions of humans around the world and then use a trans women in their campaign is just weird from ripcurl.
I would love to be in their meeting after it all went down.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 7:47pm
burleigh wrote:

There is no place for a trans women in women’s sport and to drop Bethany Hamilton who is an inspiration to millions of humans around the world and then use a trans women in their campaign is just weird from ripcurl.

Maybe so burls but let the consumer decide

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 7:57pm

Funny stuff..noideaGuy has no idea in this thread also. Lmao. Oh jeebus.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 7:59pm
GuySmiley wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Yo burls, I agree there is no place for trans woman in female sports.

Do you dislike trans woman? Or they can be Trans but stay in their own lane?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 8:51pm

Rip curl can do what they want, but it seems a very weird move, maybe its an any publicly is good publicity thing, surely a company of that size must have done a lot of research on how the move will translate dollar wise.

Have to really feel for Bethany not only does she loose her sponsorship but it's the biggest kick in the face for her to be replaced by a male bodied athlete, knowing her strong stance on the issue, fk she must feel burnt

Just looking at her instagram page, it's good to see she has a new bub and focussed on family, only have respect for her, what a trooper.

In regard's to trans women competing against women in any sport, it's really a women's rights issue and an issue of fairness.

BTW, Im guessing Guy doesn't know Sky News had a trans women commentator for years Catherine McGregor.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 9:18pm
Roadkill wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Of course i don't dislike trans women. what a stupid thing to say

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 9:25pm
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you like transphobes and/or homophobes?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 9:38pm
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
burleigh wrote:

i don't know any of either party. do you?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 9:47pm
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Yep… Bethany Hamilton could be one. According to many her religious views on gays and trans are similar to our own Margaret Court.

Which is the greater evil? Trans in sport or trans and Gay hate?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 9:50pm
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Yep… Bethany Hamilton could be one. According to many her religious views on gays and trans are similar to our own Margaret Court.

Bethany Hamilton questioned trans women being included in womens surfing with a certain test. This does not make her transphobic.

To suggest this is wrong. You're fishing but you're using the wrong bait toady

IMO Trans women don't belong in womens sport. This does not make me transphobic

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 9:49pm

Personally, I think RipCurl was crazy to cut Bethany off the payroll. She is an inspiration…does have questionable ideas though and that could be why she was no longer a good fit for Ripcurl’s future direction.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 9:54pm
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Bethany Hamilton questioned trans women being included in womens surfing with a certain test. This does not make her transphobic.

I didn’t say you were transphobic. You have never displayed an homophobic or trans phobic anything on Sn that I have read. Actually you stand up for freedoms of individual choice.
You don’t think her views are aligned with her religion?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 10:02pm

You have ripped into optimist for his religious views on homosexuality and trans…are you giving some people a free pass to have religious homophobia and transphobia but not others?

Surely the same criteria for all religious transphobia and homophobia would be something you agree with?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 10:02pm
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
burleigh wrote:

I didn’t say you were transphobic. You have never displayed an homophobic or trans phobic anything on Sn that I have read. Actually you stand up for freedoms of individual choice.
You don’t think her views are aligned with her religion?

There is a good chance they are yes. But she worded her initial video very carefully.

It wasn’t just ripcurl that dumped her, when the WSL celebrated women on their jerseys Bethany Hamilton was nowhere to be seen.

The most inspirational women surfer ever, and she didn’t appear on any jersey.

That was also wrong IMO

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 10:04pm
Roadkill wrote:

You have ripped into optimist for his religious views on homosexuality and trans…are you giving some people a free pass to have religious homophobia and transphobia but not others?

Surely the same criteria for all religious transphobia and homophobia would be something you agree with?

Did you read this, burleigh^^^

Hypocrisy is such a poor trait.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 10:46pm
Roadkill wrote:

I've ripped into Opti 100%, but never about that.

Happy for you to prove me wrong, and if i am, i will own it.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 2:31pm

Toady, you just going to throw around these accusations but not back it up?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 3:29pm

burleigh, still demanding of others what he will never do.
lol

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 3:57pm
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 4:08pm
adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 7:06pm

Far out. I'm so confused, again, reading thru the last couple of pages here. Not the ongoing Roadkill v Burls war of words, (though both those two confuse the hell out of me at times). No this Rip Curl thing is what is confusing (and amusing tbh) me right now. What do I do? Do I fish out the old 'Curl tees I nixed wearing years ago because guys like that redneck tee burner were wearing them, has he made them cool again? Does that make me trans adjacent or transphobic or homophobic or trans./homo myself? Or does it mean I'm intersex, or into sex or intrasexed? Or just too old and unbothered to GAF about any/ all the labeling of who with/how you get your rocks off and the symbolism of who's brand you wear to put that out there. I prefer the Bonds plain white tees these days because they make my hairy old man boobs look a bit like the younger rig used to look. Is that some kind of statement about whether I prefer my boys down there freeballin' or taped up the crack or have had 'em lopped to suit my ever evolving persona and minority group preferences? It's a mind fuck.
All so confusing the politically correct or incorrect this what should I be wearing stuff.
That's before I even get to thinking about my party frock and slinky black dress collection in the wardrobe.
Sometimes I wish I could just get in the time machine and go back to the 70's/80's when I was usually high as a MF but still way less confused and out of it than I feel today.
Or change species and just be a dog, just chase things around the yard, eat, snuggle up and snooze.
They've got the life I reckon. Some are surfin' dogs too, so add that.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 7:18pm

haha @adam. Identity crisis, maybe, but I'm more worried about your hearing going..
someone has clearly told you to make sure you spend the next years making sure don't get into a black funk in your 70s..
(not that your current musical tastes aren't appreciated : )

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 7:18pm

Yes to all those questions, is the path to clarity.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 7:20pm

Oh don't mention the dog bit Adam, that will lead to the Therian and Otherkin communities and you will end up exponentially more confused:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Therian/comments/15gnish/im_curious_what_are_so...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 7:21pm

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 10:35pm

@basesix
Ha, yeah, probably an identity crisis, or just in crisis in general on perpetual (fruit) loop. And don't worry about my funky ear drums, still probably the only thing still feeling like it should. Went delving down the black'n'funky track years ago, lot's of dj's and bands/ musicians in my employ/general orbit back then. Got schooled real cool and never looked back. My soul/funk spotify playlist is long and deep today and even used to swap tracks with James Brown's 2nd gen. bass legend Bootsy Collins on twitter a bit a while ago, big thrills for me hanging a bit online with that guy. Him and his brother Catfish replaced the JB's when the Godfather sacked his whole band once, and gave the world some of James Brown's best work. He also was a founding member of Parliament-Funkadelic with P-Funk legendary spaceman George Clinton then spun his own Rubber Band off that. Coolest Cat on planet funk that guy, Bootsy, still livin' large and really friendly to some stranger asking him q's from Australia.

@VJ, sheesh, just took a little tumble down that reddit rabbit/ theriotypes hole you posted. WTF? There's some weird shit on that reddit, way out of my fruitcake range. Got out again real quick, just happy to be a surfin' dog I think. Maybe in another life hopefully.
Good chats boys.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 11:06pm

Hey Adam12…. Funkadelic, Maggot Brain, (album). If ya already know, then ya know. If ya don’t know… now ya know.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 11:27pm

@basesix,
while I'm tootin' my funk legend horn, should have also told you I got to, sort of, meet James Brown and Prince in the flesh back in the day.
When they say never meet your heroes, well probably the case for me with both of them.
JB was his last tour out here, playing the Metro nightclub in Bourke St. in Melbourne. I lived almost right next door at the time and was good friends with the owners so got in free and got to do sort of a meet and greet backstage after his show. Shit performance really, he was a bit past it I reckon by then. Still doing the "cape" routine with his hype man and the band was still tight but old mate was a bit all over the place and not up for performing any more really. So afterwards I got into the dressing room backstage and got introduced and wanted him to sign a record, but he was bug eyed off his face and just mumbled a bit of jibberish then scribbled a bit on the album for me, couldn't make out what it was he wrote, just scribble. I had planned to do a big giveaway at my own club with it but had to nix that one.
Prince did an unpromoted club gig at the old Palace in St. Kilda a few years after and was again fortunately living across the road on the Upper Esplanade overlooking the Bay and Luna Park and knew the Palace guys really well too. Best live show I ever saw, ever. Just a two hour non stop funk jam. He played every instrument on stage and seemed to be making it up as he went, the band didn't even know what was coming next. At one point he divided the crowd into four and gave each a whoop whoop or clap beat to do on call and then delivered this funk concerto with the whole crowd as part of the show. Fkn amazing talent and still really miss the guy, gone way too soon. The meet'n'greet was pretty funny, more like I waved hello from the other side of the room with a bunch of others. He was roped off even from his band, shirtless, covered in sweat and barely acknowledging anyone, in his own little funky world. Weird looking dude up close, had thighs like Leigh Matthews, but built like a delicate 15 y.o. up top. Absolute virtuoso musician songwriter though, and world's greatest guitarist after Hendrix IMO.
Probably taking over another thread here with my life story again, but was watching this clip from the Concert for George the other day so for any reading this who doubts it, here he is, gotta wait for the end bit when he starts up, onstage with a few other legends doing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", also note how much Dhani Harrison looks like George and the stoked look on his face when Prince does the 'crowd lean back' during his solo. Enough from me for one day.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 11:45pm

Again, Adam12… i “met” James brown at about 4am in a Lake Tahoe casino. His posse kept me at arms length, but DAMN!! he was tore up from the floor up. I won’t get into detail outta respect for the man’s artistic greatness, but just yeah.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 12:18am

@Wax24. Hi mate, yep, know it , stowed it, it's in there somewhere, they were one funky, out there bunch orbiting the Mothership back then. More like a community than a band, or a 'collective' I think they called it, all eminating from Dr. Funkenstein's P Funk Mothership. Would give the proverbial left nut to have experienced that live.
gotta hit the sack before I open spotify and start up and be up all night.
Chat again soon.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 2:11pm

Whoops wrong thread.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 12:40pm

hey opti, sippy, info & roadyturd, what on earth is this woke inner city soy decaf latte woke company thinking? Time to ditch your thongs you lil cultural warriors

IMG-1584

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 1:14pm

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 1:33pm
GuySmiley wrote:

hey opti, sippy, info & roadyturd, what on earth is this woke inner city soy decaf latte woke company thinking? Time to ditch your thongs you lil cultural warriors

IMG-1584

not at all...

once again showing what a wanker you are

a clueless, prententious, inflammatory culture warrior wanker...

havaiianas can do whatever they want

there's nothing on that sign that is either offensive, dangerous, or ridiculous

...shameless opportunistic marketing perhaps...

but that's about it

you really don't get it do you?

or is your urge to signal so strong it overides everything else?

ie. thinking

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 1:58pm

and, just out of curiousity...

do you think people like germaine greer and camille paglia are 'far right' homophobic culture warriors?

are TERFs 'far right' homophobes?

are TERFS misogynists, misandrists or a combination?

do you have the mental capacity to think about and differentiate about such things?

serious questions...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 3:32pm

sippy got himself all feisty has he, awww

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 6:56pm

Im not feisted up at all frownyman, you couldn't stir me up if you tried, you see, your comments are so mindless, childish, void of content, and well... reactionary... I just ignore you...

but ocassionally I try to engage, mainly out of disbelief at your stupidity rather than anything else... because I literally cannot believe a man of your vintage and education could actually be as stupid as you appear to be...

but here we are... once again...

with nothing...

you remind me of joe biden, clueless, and clearly with your best years behind you, trying to be down with the kids...

you live in a dichotomy of delusion

I'll just check out again thanks, if you've got nothing...

again...

good chat

again...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 7:34pm

^^^ suggests you’re very triggered sippy

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 8:29am

Theres another chapter to this story

"RIP CURL APOLOGY FOR DELETED POST OF TRANS-SURFER LABELLED “DIVISIVE, ANTI-TRANS AND DISCRIMINATORY."

https://beachgrit.com/2024/02/rip-curl-apology-for-deleted-post-of-trans...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 10:07am

Haha Craig Kelly, you naughty boy you.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 1:12pm

Shop at, work for or sell to Coles? You are just zeros and ones to them- https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-09/coles-just-hired-us-defence-contr...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 4:20pm

What a man and to think he was deputy prime minister

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/he-s-obviously-unwell-barnaby...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 5:44pm
GuySmiley wrote:

What a man and to think he was deputy prime minister

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/he-s-obviously-unwell-barnaby...

Never liked Barnaby, huge hypocrite and nutter.
Seeing that though, poor bugger needs help with his drinking. Not a healthy specimen.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 5:50pm

I think Barnaby was just a little tired and emotional.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 6:00pm

hapless clown, gotta feel for the bozo, needs less-help with his drinking, I reckon @a-m ; )
(comes across as one of the normals in Nemesis ep 2.. scary shit.. )

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 12:26am

This is something I’ve never understood . Come on Albo if you want to be remembered as a great PM , do something and don’t worry about spud saying no , Australians will back you if you do the right thing . https://x.com/rdns_tai/status/1756618149619966442?s=46

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 7:10am

Aldo can't do what Norway has done as Labor are in bed with the Greens .

Norway is Pro Fossil Fuels and has a huge Sovereign Wealth Fund funded by selling the stuff .

In Australia , we just leave most of our Natural Gas in the ground .

Our Energy costs are very high and holding our whole country back .

The Norwegians can pay for ALL the kids to have have free education .

I wish we could 2 .

Our Energy Policy is Crap !