How to make surf wax, organic and processed?

darty79's picture
darty79 started the topic in Monday, 24 Jun 2013 at 4:39pm

Surfers
Has anyone had a crack at making their own wax? I have the following formulas one for organic and one for normal;

Paraffin wax
Microcrystalline wax
Petroleum jelly
Adhesive (Vistanex)
Small amounts of scent and dye if you want a nice look / smell

Beeswax
Coconut oil
Tree resin (cool water wax only)

The problem is for the normal mix i cannot find any Vistanex, does anyone know a supplier or alternative?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 25 Jun 2013 at 7:31am

Interesting thread...don't know where to find Vistanex but know where to find a lot of coconut oil :)

dumpy's picture
dumpy's picture
dumpy Wednesday, 26 Jun 2013 at 8:39pm

a bit of googling turned up:
Vistanex LM and MM polymers are clean, light colored polymers with essentially no odor or taste.
Visit our web site at http://www.butylrubber.com for a complete product listing.

Make sure you have a read of the MSDS to understand how many rats the product kills before you get your hands covered in it.

actually that link was pretty crap, sorry. wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl_rubber
The bit about being used in small amounts as a fuel additive seems relevant...

try googling polyisobutylene and your nearest main city - i got 4 hits for suppliers.

may you give gluefoot airs a new meaning!

storminteractive's picture
storminteractive's picture
storminteractive Saturday, 28 Dec 2013 at 10:39am

Dumpy, should you ever find your way to reading this, I just got some vistenex for making surf wax but it came with no MSDS, can you point me in the right direction?

surfing-cronulla's picture
surfing-cronulla's picture
surfing-cronulla Sunday, 29 Dec 2013 at 7:52am
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Sunday, 19 Jan 2014 at 8:49am

We invented the coconut oil and beeswax recipes in 1994, and gave them to the surfing world... just saying.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 3:33pm

Secret recipe