Southport Webcam

funpeeler's picture
funpeeler started the topic in Monday, 4 Mar 2013 at 5:41pm

Love the crisp new webcam and the high vantage angle but I wish it would pan a *little* further to the left and linger there for a bit longer...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 4 Mar 2013 at 8:16pm

Thanks FP, glad you like the upgrade.

Actually, the surfcam doesn't have a good view of either of the Triggs reefs from the new spot because the headland gets in the way (the view from the old spot was pretty crappy too, I reckon). The new view does take in Snakes as well as that unnamed (and rarely surfable) right between Snakes and Triggs 2 but it's really not worth zooming in on too much.

Best thing about this cam IMO is that on the wideview of the rivermouth and the beach, you can see the lines well out to see as they limp into shore.

doyley27's picture
doyley27's picture
doyley27 Wednesday, 6 Mar 2013 at 6:34pm

any of you guys know if this saturday (9th of march) is any good for a surf at south port

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 6 Mar 2013 at 7:38pm

We've got a Mid Coast forecast here: http://www.swellnet.com.au/reports/mid-coast/forecast

Doesn't look very promising.

doyley27's picture
doyley27's picture
doyley27 Thursday, 7 Mar 2013 at 9:21pm

thanks for that forecast, doesnt look very good does it. anyway ill come on to swell net on saturday to see the surf cam

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 20 Mar 2013 at 7:55pm

swellnet team, just curious how many hits approx would the cam at lake southport get per day or week ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 21 Mar 2013 at 7:52am

Millions and millions. All of these frustrated Adelaide surfers seem to enjoy fantasizing about what could happen on the Mid, if only someone would remove Kangaroo Island.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Mar 2013 at 8:30am

no kangaroo island, umm just picture horseshoe reef at christies beach open to 6-10ft swells what a world class wave that would be, also the outer bombie between three poles and u turns approx half a mile out [yes it exists] a left and right which only just starts to feather on the very largest of swells and lowest of tides, have seen it feather 3 times in thirty years, will sift through some marine charts for the co/ords, meanwhile eyes fixed on the cam.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 21 Mar 2013 at 8:36am

Funny thing is that while everyone imagines what the Mid Coast would be like with Kangaroo Island gone, I imagine what the surf's like on Kangaroo Island.

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Thursday, 21 Mar 2013 at 11:21am

Ben, you'll just have to build a bridge.......
out of interest in terms of cam views, where does the Southport cam rank?
I know I'm one who looks longingly at it from time to time.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 21 Mar 2013 at 11:51am

The page impressions for each of our surfcams change regularly, because they're dependent on what the surf's like.

For example, our Snapper Rocks surfcam does amazingly well when there's a good east swell running. But when the surf's flat it doesn't do very well at all.

Same with South Port - if there's a swell running, or anticipation of a swell arriving, the surfcam rates well. If we're in the middle of a summer flat spell it doesn't rate very well at all.