West Island Left

zambezi's picture
zambezi started the topic in Thursday, 19 Jan 2012 at 6:04am

Has the heaving left hander which breaks off the tip of West Island on the Fleurieau Peninsula ever been surfed ? I've heard stories of Wayne Lynch surfing it back in the 70's and Tom Carroll in more recent times. Can anyone confirm this ?

sagreat's picture
sagreat's picture
sagreat Wednesday, 4 Apr 2012 at 1:43pm

Well considering how hard it would be to get to for most there is probably no harm in talking about it ala the west island left. It was a bombie pretty close to shore around cape heart. Has anyone else seen it break or surfed it, looked like it had some potential in the right swell, winds etc

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Wednesday, 4 Apr 2012 at 2:18pm

sounds a lot like the scraper....jeffs mate a.b. towed it very recently i think...jeff? ..... looks like a wild piece of water ,very strong currents....many knots with a tide change.

sagreat's picture
sagreat's picture
sagreat Wednesday, 4 Apr 2012 at 3:13pm

Did get one photo of it looking alright, how do we attache em on here? I had heard of the scraper, but was under the impression in was closer to Willoughby, this one is around 8km around the corner from willoughby.

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Wednesday, 4 Apr 2012 at 3:50pm

Can you feel your ears burning sagreat

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 4 Apr 2012 at 3:51pm

Sagreat, you have to upload it to photobucket or flickr etc and then just post the image link they give you.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 4 Apr 2012 at 10:34pm

sorry mate...been busy surfn an dodgen angry locals....cape heart?? i seen it smkn..its real deal ....adventurous to say the least...

shralpz's picture
shralpz's picture
shralpz Thursday, 5 Apr 2012 at 1:09pm

right this has gone far enough, Ben pull the damn plug now!!!

spunoutatagneswaters's picture
spunoutatagneswaters Thursday, 5 Apr 2012 at 5:26pm

could be a bit cryptic there shralpz, but the vibe i'm getting is we might be back in the territory of preserving some details about isolated spots from the net. Tricky debate this one in the age of Facebook and Google Earth. I had a few more very odd, hard to find and essentially deeply shitty novelty spots from the Fleurieu I was going to raise discussion on, but after recent banter, held on the idea. Just a distraction from the current energy folks. I assume some of you lads have substantial links with the local surf industry/market. Why not put up a marketing wager around the South oz surf fraternity. First one to submit a shot of themselves seriously pitted at 'Lynch's' wins a free gun, and an all expenses paid trip to Shippies on the next frightening day it's on. Not such a crazy idea guys, there's glory to be had, and bloody good fodder for a Track's article. Comment's please. Safe driving through the surf crowds this Easter, surf prospects for Agnes suprisingly good for this time of year, related to a slight disturbance being experienced in Fiji...spunout

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 5 Apr 2012 at 5:38pm

Actually, how about we instead make it the first person to submit a shot of themselves getting seriously pitted anywhere on the South Coast?

Either way it'll still take a year or two for us to receive any entries :D

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Thursday, 5 Apr 2012 at 8:20pm

Ben,

You are right. It's fucked living down here. It never pumps for more than one day. The food is crap. The beaches are a polluted mess. There are pointers everywhere and angry locals ready to shred your tires. As I fired up the BBQ on the deck tonight, looking out over a balmy Encounter Bay, with a cold Pale Ale in hand, I thought to myself, Yeah, life sucks. Smiley face.

Photobucket

dovado's picture
dovado's picture
dovado Thursday, 5 Apr 2012 at 9:08pm

What a day. Would of been 6-8ft at salmonhole, 10-12ft at rockpiles (Ive surfed rockpiles that size once, really fun and pretty easy actually as it dosent pitch hard on take off)

I would of been at the hole if not for the reality of work ect, im sure some scored. I surfed ye old horseshoe reef, had it to myself for a while a couple of ppl paddle out after a while. Pretty shifty, ledgey with quite a few breaking wide. Took awhile to dial in but got quite a few sweet ones mid tide, one nice barrel in there.

Solid 4ft on the sets could even push it to 5ft for the odd rogue (on the mid no less), bit of wonkin the swell as it was overapping the old decaying swell. So sometimes you get that a set with a smaller wave to close in front but not close enough to double up, ya's know what im talking about. Tuesday arvo was pretty sweet too.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Monday, 9 Apr 2012 at 11:24am

Christian Locke slotted on the South Coast, not where you think but not far from there.

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Monday, 9 Apr 2012 at 1:55pm

nice pic of ZELDA old dog........nicely slotted .

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Tuesday, 10 Apr 2012 at 5:31pm

Someone mentioned Rockpools, found some old frames of me out there in the old days.
BTW spoke to a bloke who was at Kings during the 75 Aussies he said heaps of crew were free-surfing the waddy closeouts between Kings and West Is.and two heroes paddled over to the left but it was really inco and they only shoulder hopped a few but it looked like every now and again a real pearler would come through.

spunoutatagneswaters Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012 at 10:42am

Ben. I should have amended my suggestion that anyone snapped riding "Lynch's' in any form is worthy of a gun and a trip to Shippies via Adelaide surf companies. Any form could even involve taking a lid out there, and surviving one drop in between the seals. I'm not a big wave 'risk technition' to quote Ken Bradshaw, surfing round Agnes should vouch for that! For the serious tow in surfer, I think there are much heavier assignments than this one, to be executed. I'll throw in the first $100 to see someone weaving through the seal colony on this much discussed left, anyone else in? come on Weasel, up the stakes!

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012 at 6:43pm

On Youtube type in Solitude EP 1 or EP 2 and theres plenty of footage wth plenty of ppl in the water surfing the 'LEFT' of West island

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012 at 7:01pm

@spunjah,

Nice vids, but the footage is of Shark Alley. Not West Island.

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012 at 7:22pm

ahhh k my bad shark alley breaks off pullen its not west is then

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012 at 7:50pm

probably pull a few hits on youtube though damn sponger

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Wednesday, 11 Apr 2012 at 11:31pm

@spunjah,

Shark Alley breaks off Wright Island in Rosetta Bay. Pullen's is in Port Elliot. West Island is adjacent to King's. Rastafaria ... Ever livin Ever Surus Ever Solasia.

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Thursday, 12 Apr 2012 at 7:38am

baha i think i best lay off the green and start reading a few maps, know where they all are and how to get to em jst forgot their geographical names.

spunoutatagneswaters Thursday, 19 Apr 2012 at 5:53pm

So guys, the vibe seems to be no footage (youtube or otherwise) of West Island cranking, complete with surfrider. Looks like my hundered dollareenies is sitting very safely. Still waiting cash in hand folks, can't wait to part with it, spunout...

mr-mysto's picture
mr-mysto's picture
mr-mysto Sunday, 29 Apr 2012 at 9:53pm

29 April 2012

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 30 Apr 2012 at 9:04am

Sunday? Mysto? When our we going to get a roaring swell without an easterly?

spunoutatagneswaters Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 9:40pm

Another hot shot of the left mr mysto, all it needs is some creative photoshop tinkering, and voila that's you slotted in there at Lynch's...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 May 2012 at 7:22am

I'd love to see an angle from the top of the island. Are there any permission issues in landing there?

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Friday, 4 May 2012 at 10:13am

@ Ben- I understand its either government or uni? research area and boats aren't permitted to dock over there. Some of the South Coast boys should be able to shed light on this.

Last Sunday at the peak of the swell around 3pm, it was actual breaking around 30m wider than where it usually does (looked like it was breaking on another section of reef) and looked as rideable as I've seen it for a long time. It was breaking in slow mo, so guestimate of around the 10ft mark with near close out sets on the inner section of reef between west & kings.

Would think zambezi may have got some shots?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 May 2012 at 10:49am

Yeah, just looked it up LPT. West Island is an Aquatic Reserve. More info here.

The N/NW side of the coast (where the research shed is located) is completely out of bounds. A second, broad area stretching into the bay (ie towards the mainland) and out across towards Kings is OK for "rod and line or handline only."

The remaining area around West Island (ie west, south and east coast) is partially off limits: PIRSA says "no fishing, no collecting or removing any marine organisms".

So, it looks like the area where you'd land a boat at West Island is completely off limits unless you're associated with the University of Adelaide's research program.

However, the area where the wave breaks is OK to access either by boat or by paddling across from Kings (!). But, there is "no fishing, no collecting or removing any marine organisms" allowed.

Actually, that could be a problem - if you got pitched on an eight foot bomb, it'd be hard not to remove marine organisms from the granite boulders underwater :)

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Friday, 4 May 2012 at 12:47pm

even harder removing the abalone embedded in your face after you resurface :)

spunoutatagneswaters Friday, 4 May 2012 at 6:02pm

As removing the Abalone from your dial after you resurface would be the undertakers problem, what the heck hey! Thermalben it's a bloody long time since I landed a tinny on the backside of the island, but I have done it. I probably have vivid memories cause it was shit scary bringing a tinny around the Bluff in a fair swell, and all boating safety regulations would have been in full breach! I recollect a small wooden landing jetty next to the shed area, but otherwise fairly unfriendly boulders making hooking up a boat pretty awkward. The area is definitely out of the swell zone, but ? how much if the swell is thundering. Getting about once on the island was no problem, almost flat enough up the top to dob a footy around. Having been over the island, you would certainly get an insane view of the left from above, bit of a safer gamble for calculating rideability, than a Jet-Ski exploration...s

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Friday, 4 May 2012 at 6:54pm

I reckon you need to raise the stakes @spunoutatagneswaters. Come on Bear, $100 will never cover the medical bills of a mistake, let alone the cost of a funeral.

@lpt. I had a look at it earlier in the day, and it was very sketchy with the easterly. Sounds like it was better, later in the day.

Photobucket

spunoutatagneswaters Monday, 7 May 2012 at 10:28am

A bit of Trivia for you guys. Was digging around on Google last night and found a Government report on West Island that named at least 6 landmarks on the island. The point in question is 'officially' named 'Oedipus Point'. Two suggestions here for simplicity for surfers vocab. 1. Pus Point 2. 'Pussies'. Maybe Pussies would stick cause of the high risk, and rather squeezy take off zone. Also got as close to the corner of the island as Google Earth would allow. That boulder is possibly slightly clear of the island and surrounded by water, perhaps tidally. From above the rocky 'point' looks more like a ledge type wave to me. So how much clearance from the ledge do you get? Can't raise the stakes alone brothers, 9 more in with $100 at least covers your pine box. Who's Bear then? I'll come clean. The name's Julian Wilson, little known Coolum local...s

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 7 May 2012 at 2:56pm

Oedipus, eh?

According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, "In psychoanalytic theory, the term Oedipus complex denotes the emotions and ideas that the mind keeps in the unconscious, via dynamic repression, that concentrate upon a boy’s desire to sexually possess his mother, and kill his father."

I'm never gonna look at West Island the same again.

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Monday, 7 May 2012 at 3:55pm

bahaha didnt know he had it in him lol

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Monday, 7 May 2012 at 4:02pm

(European mythology)
Literal meaning: ‘swollen-foot’. Son of Laius, King of Thebes, and Queen Jocasta. His father, having learnt from an oracle that he was doomed to perish by the hands of his own son, exposed Oedipus on a mountainside, immediately after his birth, with his feet pierced and tied together. The child was found by a shepherd who took him to the childless King and Queen of Corinth; they brought Oedipus up as their own son.

In his youth Oedipus was told by the Oracle at Delphi that he would kill his father and marry his mother and, horrified, he resolved never to return to Corinth. Ignorant of his true ancestry, he set out for Thebes and on the road encountered King Laius, whom he slew in a quarrel over the right-of-way. Near the city he answered the riddle of the Sphinx, then a plague to all travellers, and for defeating this monstrous female wingedlion, the Thebans made him their king. He married the widowed Jocasta and so, unwittingly, fulfilled the prophecy. In time he became aware of the patricide and incest: this self-discovery caused him to blind himself before going into exile, where in the grove of Colonus near Athens the Eumenides finally released Oedipus from an earthly existence. Jocasta hanged hereself shortly afterwards.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/oedipus#ixzz1uA2tEx6x

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Monday, 7 May 2012 at 4:34pm

Barreling left's & Greek mythology- I can see the next instalment of Kongs island, but with a creepy incestual slant :)

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 7 May 2012 at 6:09pm

Righto ... Mythology ay ... Sort of shortlists an available conquestor .
Two people come to mind ...
Both (nick)named SPARTICUS .
A certain Tahitian Michel Bourez , that is currently on the TOUR .
And Paul Donda from up in the NWA .
Both are Goofy's and are known to take on Solid Lefts .
Paul , i will except the Apology if your Mythology days are Over .
As for Michel , sign him up to slay the Pussy Dragon ....

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Monday, 7 May 2012 at 7:26pm

roger 'the dodger' mathews may have surfed the west island left ?

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 5:44pm

@victor, No Roger has surfed just about every novelty spot in SA but not West Island,I quizzed him on it a few weeks back, He was at Kings for the 75 Aussies and recalls two blokes paddled across but didnt have much luck.He prides himself on having surfed just about everywhere but no cigar this time.
Roger Matthews

spunoutatagneswaters Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 5:58pm

How the Point got it's name becomes itself a dark question, before it gets seriously tackled on a board. Did a pissed student on an Adelaide Uni expedition, obsessed with guilt for having the hots for his mum, take his last wave at 3am on a frosty winter night. Is this secret known only to a select few? The mind boggles. Up goes the spook factor. This wave must be ridden, it's an omen...s

zambezi's picture
zambezi's picture
zambezi Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 7:04pm

Photobucket

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 9:01pm

Freud comes to the South Coast! Perhaps the student of philosophy who named the point was getting that oceanic feeling as described by Freud in his seminal Civilization and Its Discontents ?? Though I'm more of a Freudo-Marxist man, myself. Check Marcuse's Eros and Civilization ...it offers real insights into surfing culture...well, after some extrapolation. Kristen Lawler does that heavy lifting in her book The American Surfer: Radical Culture & Capitalism. All recommended for a bit of light reading cruising the Mentawais, say, or holed up at Cactus. Academic discourse, hey? Where's Smux when ya need him?!

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 9 May 2012 at 9:28am

Crikey Angry you've just given me a headache thinking about trying to read said books let alone understanding them ha see ya in indo next week angry brother

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 9 May 2012 at 9:54pm

jiminy crickets angry...i juz wanna tow' WIL'

spunoutatagneswaters Thursday, 10 May 2012 at 10:51am

Zambezi, that last snap you dropped on the forum, looks no heavier than the take off at The Trough. Is this the skilled use of Dutch Angles on the shoot? I think a phony research party from Adelaide Uni, is going to have to make a landing on the Island...s

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Friday, 11 May 2012 at 12:40pm

Say g'day to Peds at the G from me...I'll be saying g'day to Dr. Stock and my ol' mate Endone. Get some spitting launching cobras on the quad Banksy! Yowza!

angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade's picture
angrybrigade Friday, 11 May 2012 at 12:44pm

oh yeah, grab a copy of Malcolm Knox's THE LIFE for the down-time. MP = DK...Dennis Keith. Sick read. You too, Mr. Schmucker! You'll diggit!

spunoutatagneswaters Friday, 18 May 2012 at 7:40am

For some obscure reading whilst very stoned in Indo, here's the link to that document which amongst other info, names the landmarks on West Island. The maps on about page 12...As you'll see from the map, if Oedipus Point don't take you out, then Toad Head will!!!...s

www.environment.sa.gov.au/.../PARKS_PDFS_ISLD_CP_BACKST_...

spunjah's picture
spunjah's picture
spunjah Sunday, 20 May 2012 at 2:32am

Hey there mr Schmucker, jst wondering if youve done much exploration round the pages islands nth/west of cape willoughby??? you seem to know just bout everything else about the south oz coastline. and jst having a look at their location they would have to be one huge swell magnet!!! jst got me curious and thought you would be a good person to ask

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Sunday, 20 May 2012 at 10:18pm

sorry spun...kept my reply on the tut tut ahem ASK SMUKO....dunno if anyone has found that mysto wave on the floorio yet?? it does exist i'm sure of that...even seen a pic of it the other week!!