I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 11 Dec 2023 at 9:24am
Supafreak wrote:

Bon voyage swelllnutters , sitting on the tarmac at cooly Bali bound . Bloody cheap home scales cost me $110 as they weighed my boardbag in at 23kg but virgin scales had it at 26kg . They don’t charge by the kilo, they charge for simply being over 23kgs . At least they didn’t strike today , I was a bit worried after not hearing how Fridays meeting went . They are running late as usual. Looking forward to time out . Cheers all .

Been here for a week, Qantas allow 32kg.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 11 Dec 2023 at 9:44am

How much was Return Qantas Ticket ?

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 11 Dec 2023 at 10:49am

Have a great trip SF, Xmas and NY on NL?

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 11 Dec 2023 at 8:35pm
udo wrote:

How much was Return Qantas Ticket ?

Went from Coffs > Sydney > Bali, not as cheap as from GC, but easier, boards/luggage go straight through, no driving and parking to pay for.
We don’t have virgin anymore.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 11 Dec 2023 at 8:39pm

Cost of International leg ?

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 11 Dec 2023 at 8:37pm
udo wrote:

Cost of International leg ?

All up? Or each flight?

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 15 Dec 2023 at 8:13pm

Been lucky so far, got here after a few weeks flat spell, have surfed 10 out of 11 days 3-5ft, not looking good for my last 3 days though, but you never know.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 15 Dec 2023 at 9:13pm
Supafreak wrote:

Bon voyage swelllnutters , sitting on the tarmac at cooly Bali bound . Bloody cheap home scales cost me $110 as they weighed my boardbag in at 23kg but virgin scales had it at 26kg . They don’t charge by the kilo, they charge for simply being over 23kgs . At least they didn’t strike today , I was a bit worried after not hearing how Fridays meeting went . They are running late as usual. Looking forward to time out . Cheers all .

Supafreak. Have a good one with your daughter and your Indonesian family. You deserve a break, it’s been a taxing and trying year for you. AW.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 12:55pm
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 5:42pm

That looks better than walking down those stairs at that secret spot that’s not secret.
You know the one lol.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Dec 2023 at 3:42pm
ashsam wrote:

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2023/12/21/indonesia...

Hmm first I've heard of this, looks interesting, will have to check it out.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Friday, 22 Dec 2023 at 5:06pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
ashsam wrote:

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2023/12/21/indonesia...

Hmm first I've heard of this, looks interesting, will have to check it out.

$1500 for a 5 year visa

IDR 3,000,000 (1 Year) = $AUD300
IDR 6,000,000 (2 Years) = $AUD600
IDR 15,000,000 (5 Years) = $AUD1,500

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 25 Dec 2023 at 12:22pm

All the Best to You Slim

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 4:57pm
seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 5:35pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........

eat-your-vegies Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 11:09pm

Will you still be able to smell the rubbish dump from kura kura shopping centre ?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 27 Dec 2023 at 11:42am
eat-your-vegies wrote:

Will you still be able to smell the rubbish dump from kura kura shopping centre ?

Only when there is any breeze!!

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 3:38pm

Been in Bali last 10 day hasnt rained once and light SE winds every day , whats happened to the Wet season?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 3:48pm
ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 4:45pm
amb wrote:

Been in Bali last 10 day hasnt rained once and light SE winds every day , whats happened to the Wet season?

Yeah I was from there 4/12-19/12, Cunguu and Keramas and never saw a drop. Went to Ubud one day and it had been flooding on the side of the streets, never saw it rain though.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 4:53pm
burleigh wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1qMsK_vWpK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&...

Those blue taxis are dodgy, we just used the grab app while in Canguu before xmas, tells you the price before you confirm, was brilliant, never had any issue.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 5:58pm

the old 50 thou becomes 50 dollar trick...

those blue cabs certainly are as dodgy as hell... trying to cash in on the bluebird good reputation, amongst other things...

the online cab versus taxi mafia has gone next level

what was old mate cab man thinking? seriously...

they were filming him!

indo people are generally lovely, but fuck there's some fruitcakes in bali

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 6:12pm
udo wrote:

https://thebalisun.com/balis-acting-governor-says-new-tax-could-fund-ins...

I know its fuck all at the end of the day... but this has a real stench to it...

so... because all the billions of dollars that have gone into bali over recent decades have essentially disappeared...

as infrastruture is creaking under pressure to basically none existent...

bali has its hand out for a tourism tax...

they look like beggars

beggars with a gucci habit

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 9:27pm
ashsam wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Those blue taxis are dodgy, we just used the grab app while in Canguu before xmas, tells you the price before you confirm, was brilliant, never had any issue.

My wife is Indonesian and she is onto all these little things and now we really only use Grab when in Bali, so i think it must be the way to go.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 5 Jan 2024 at 10:39am
indo-dreaming wrote:
ashsam wrote:
burleigh wrote:

My wife is Indonesian and she is onto all these little things and now we really only use Grab when in Bali, so i think it must be the way to go.

Yep, Grab all the way.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 5 Jan 2024 at 2:01pm

I despise using grab...

but I do

you're a fool not too...

the taxi mafia are really doing themselves no favours at all

understandable perhaps... never fuk with a man's lunch money and all that

that bali taxi company must have gone from thriving monopoly to barely turnig a profit...

but they've kinda brought it upon themselves

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 5 Jan 2024 at 2:36pm

It’s actually raining ! Woohoo ! The gardens need it . Fun headhigh pulse yesterday arvo back to knee to waist high this morning. Some headhigh swell on the way with light onshore winds . I’m getting a custom bike built should be ready in a few weeks , a 1970s honda clutchless 4 speed 4 stroke. These motors are bulletproof and parts are plentiful, got some decent shocks for the crap roads that destroy the scooters . 3763742c-c935-4d37-a2d3-e4c5ee4e3ced
379bf5da-2b12-4b26-8f95-886c170767cd

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 5 Jan 2024 at 3:06pm
Supafreak wrote:

It’s actually raining ! Woohoo ! The gardens need it . Fun headhigh pulse yesterday arvo back to knee to waist high this morning. Some headhigh swell on the way with light onshore winds . I’m getting a custom bike built should be ready in a few weeks , a 1970s honda clutchless 4 speed 4 stroke. These motors are bulletproof and parts are plentiful, got some decent shocks for the crap roads that destroy the scooters . 3763742c-c935-4d37-a2d3-e4c5ee4e3ced
379bf5da-2b12-4b26-8f95-886c170767cd

I miss my trusty old Tiger, never let me down.
Looking good, don't forget the muffler! :)

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 5 Jan 2024 at 3:25pm

I had a tiger motor 200cc in a dirt bike and gave it to a local to restore as a project but it got knocked off unfortunately, really strong motors. Got an exhaust the other day , my friend who’s putting it together has been accessing parts from all over indo , the handle bars are original and came from java . Seat is hard to find so might be a custom job . IMG-5560. This is what we started with . IMG-5562

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 6 Jan 2024 at 7:47am
Supafreak wrote:

I had a tiger motor 200cc in a dirt bike and gave it to a local to restore as a project but it got knocked off unfortunately, really strong motors. Got an exhaust the other day , my friend who’s putting it together has been accessing parts from all over indo , the handle bars are original and came from java . Seat is hard to find so might be a custom job . IMG-5560. This is what we started with . IMG-5562

Great project!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 6 Jan 2024 at 8:30am

That’s gunna look ace when it’s done

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 7 Jan 2024 at 1:49pm

The beautiful weather and waves continue, really great pulse yesterday arvo and this morning, some overhead sets and perfect conditions .

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Monday, 8 Jan 2024 at 9:40am

HOw was the pulse last night, best for a while where i am

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 8 Jan 2024 at 11:32am
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 8 Jan 2024 at 5:05pm

Yes Craig you were on the money again, keep it up . I actually waited for the arvo session as I’m only good for one 3 hour surf and timed it beautifully with tide and the increase in pulse .

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 5:20am

Awesome!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 7:38am

3 Hour Session...Shitt

Vintage Expression Session

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 9 Jan 2024 at 9:21am

I absolutely loved 3hrs sessions, well did until I could only last 1

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 12:53pm

Bali government set to introduce a new tourist tax of roughly $15 per head, this will mean a family of 4 will now be up for $260 just to enter Bali . Thailand is again the winner here . https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/asia/indonesia

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 5:06pm
Supafreak wrote:

Bali government set to introduce a new tourist tax of roughly $15 per head, this will mean a family of 4 will now be up for $260 just to enter Bali . Thailand is again the winner here . https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/asia/indonesia

Okay i get it

x4 VOA at $50 each + x4 Tax @ $15 each = $260

When they talked about it all before they were going to drop the VOA fee again for certain countries.

I read the tax is suppose to go towards "environmental conservation, nature preservation, cultural enhancement, and overall quality improvement,"

Which if so is a great thing, but probably unlikely it really does.

We are pretty lucky in our family im the only non Indo passport holder, and i just go through the Indo line so quicker :P

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 5:08pm

That's what i thought too Indo - scrapping VOA for new tourist tax. Perhaps not

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 10 Feb 2024 at 7:11am
sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 10 Feb 2024 at 3:24pm

crazy thing about new tourism tax is, if you leave bali to another island and return to bali... you pay again...

so, arrive bali with family, pay tax 150k rp x family, go to gilis, 1 day transit bali, pay for whole family again...

meanwhile... piles of rubbish pile up all across bali... and big man leaders, buy another beemer...

culture is preserved...

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 10 Feb 2024 at 3:27pm

Nothing's changed in Indonesia mate, masters of smoke and mirrors

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 10 Feb 2024 at 3:57pm

Came in through immigration last night and kitas line was chockers , thought WTF , turned out that many people had chosen to either ignore the signs or didn’t understand. Immigration dudes were getting the shits and walked around asking for kitas holders to hold up documents. Luckily I still had a printed copy and walked past over 100 people. Decided to register my phone this time in , iPhone 13 Pro max that they valued at $585 USD so had to pay tax of 620,000rp which although I don’t agree with why they have this tax , it wasn’t too bad a sting .