I love Bali

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 6:55pm

I love Bali.

You wouldn't think that such a thought could be controversial . But it is.
Many people don't love Bali, in fact they proclaim to hate it. Bemoan what it has become, it's lack of purity, it's lost innocence.

Sure, I can see their point. I can't imagine anywhere on Earth that has been transformed as radically as Bali over the last thirty years. From rice paddies and coconut groves to six story discotheques . It's totally unrecognisable in the most built up areas.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about why I LOVE Bali.

I love Bali because ...

- it's still the home of an intense cluster of world class waves. Roping lefts : Uluwatu, freight train right barrels : Sanur, backlit mega tubes : Padang Padang. Rip able reefs, fun beachies. Short , slabby pits and long mellow points. River mouths and bombies. It's got the lot.

- it's still possible to get uncrowded quality waves in 2015 when it seems as though the entire planet has discovered surfing. I was trading crystal clear , rolling right walls with only two other surfers just this morning.

- it's still freaking beautiful. Watching the mist reveal Mt Agung in that unique Bali morning light from a black sand beach as the sun comes up is still special.

- the food is amazing. Walking around town building up a hunger and knowing that at any given time you are within shouting distance of fresh, exotic and delicious meals with enough variety to make your head spin is priceless.

- the Balinese are legends. Friendly, happy and always keen for a joke. Unfailingly polite and welcoming. Healthy, spiritual and decent.

- the Balinese surfers rip their waves and they still own them. A visiting Brazilian would not think twice to drop in on an Aussie local at Kirra. But you won't see the same in Bali. The Balinese surfers are treated with the respect they deserve. Because as everyone knows, if they are not treated with respect there is consequences.

- the water is so warm it's like swimming in silken angels tears.

- telling people that you are going to Bali will often elicit a response along the lines of ......"why would you go to that traffic ridden, noisy shithole ?" And then as you're kicking back with a Bintang watching the sunset over Uluwatu you can imagine them sitting at lights in their car on their way home from work in Perth. Which , for those that have never been , is a noisy , traffic ridden shithole. And this makes me laugh. Which is something I enjoy doing.

- The fruit is incredible.

- despite the millions of tourists, the fast food franchises and the Aussie over familiarity with the joint it's still exotic. The smell of clove cigarettes, the ogo ogos of Nyepi, the Buddhist offerings , monkeys , food and language are all enticingly foreign.

- there is no overreaching nanny state. You want to ride your motorbike with all four of your children and the missus on the back...whilst texting. Go for it.

- you can live like a king on a regular Aussie income. Maybe not such a great benefit for the Balinese themselves though.

- it's close to Oz. Twenty hour plane ride and a shot at developing deep vein thrombosis.....ummm no thanks. It's actually faster to fly to Bali from Perth than it is to drive to Albany. You can fly from Port Hedland in less than two hours.

- you get an opportunity to regularly witness some of the most foolhardy behaviour imaginable on a daily basis. You ever seen a man being doubled on a motorbike through traffic whilst holding a large pane of glass ? What about seeing someone hold a nail between his bare fingers while his mate tries to grind the tip off it ? It's all there folks.

- you can see people making do with not much and making it work. An exhaust system held on with a T Shirt ? An outboard motor attached to a boat with no anchoring system, just held on with a man's brute force ? Why not ? It might not work forever but it'll usually get em over the line.

- the winds can blow offshore for months at a time and when they blow onshore, well , that just makes it offshore somewhere else. It's an island !

- you haven't seen glassy oceanic conditions till you've seen Indonesian sheet glass. It's like an oil slick. And if you're ever near Benoa Harbour that could well be what it is.

- old people are accorded the respect they deserve.

- it's exciting. It's a melting pot of the world. Wide eyed villages from remote Asia, jaded techno princesses from Russia, sleek surfy chicks from Canada , your next door neighbour from Ipswich....it's a party and everyone is invited.

Including YOU. I'll see you there. You can't miss me.

I'll be the sun burnt drunk in a head to toe Bintang ensemble with hair braids and a fresh tattoo of a unicorn across my back . Don't be shy. Come and say hello.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 4:22pm

Ha ha! You're a classic IB. Three days out before your Euro trip and you just had to go surfing. You coulda just not gone surfing, you know, dodgy hammy and all.

I could picture your missus if you had to get on the plane with crutches.

Alls well that ends well they say I guess.

Good luck Stu- I was six months out when I busted four of mine.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 4:37pm

I know. Pretty tragic, but I did approach the madness in a semi-scientific manner. And I did laugh at myself :-) But to my defence, it was 5-6ft, clean, peeling, and empty.

Btw, it still hurts to sit down, and especially to drive.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 5:04pm

Ha, that's something I would do IB!

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 3 Jul 2023 at 7:13pm

Not Bali but Bela Sulu Villas Mentawais, new airport opens soon

"Are you dreaming of owning a villa and cruising the open waters on a sleek speedboat? Look no further! We have an irresistible offer that combines the best of both worlds. When you purchase a stunning villa through us, you also have the opportunity to acquire an affordable speedboat to complement your lifestyle.

We have a partnership with Morey Marine Speedboat. They can offer a discount starting at 10%, if you reserve a boat through us.

Imagine waking up in your own private sanctuary, basking in the breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. As you step outside, you're greeted by the glimmering water and your very own speedboat, patiently awaiting your next adventure. Whether you desire hunting waves, tranquil fishing trips, or leisurely coastal explorations, your new speedboat will be the perfect companion for endless aquatic escapades.

With our tailored approach, we ensure that the speedboat we recommend suits your preferences and budget. From compact yet agile models to luxurious and spacious cruisers, we have a wide range of options to cater to your specific needs. Our experienced team will guide you through the selection process, offering expert advice and making sure you find the perfect vessel to complement your villa and lifestyle."

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Jul 2023 at 9:08pm
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 9:32am

Well it’s absolutely pumping again today and pissing down. It’s going to be an interesting crossing this afternoon to sanur. Another 2 weeks would have been awesome but thems the breaks .The wreck was solid yesterday and only 8-10 guys once the swell kicked in , lacerations was small and 40 guys, today could be bigger. Lembongan is packed and next year will be back to quieter locations . A89-BCEB6-2-A7-D-450-C-89-AE-21-D2-FAF98343 No one out at ghosties , there for the taking if ya keen .

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 9:38am

Cracking shot

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 10:07am

Great pic!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 11:30am

Weird first morning to wake up to.

Dry season, eh? Rained all night. Did a first light puddle dodge down to Petitenget get where it's big, windy, and brown.

No-one on the beach but me and a loose bunch of mutts eyeing me off.

Think today is gonna involve family time rather than a long haul to the Bukit.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 12:08pm

Great picture SF, safe journey across mate

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 12:25pm

Stu - just staying down there or do you have time on the Bukit?

I founds those stray mutts to be pretty feral some mornings before first light. Okay during the day but I got hassled by them near Canggu once and near Padang last trip.

Jono's picture
Jono's picture
Jono Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 12:52pm

Stu - Kuta looking like fun peaks and cleanish on the Bali Belly cam, bit busy though.

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 3:11pm

Hows the water temp , boadies fine or need top?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 6:10pm
Supafreak wrote:

Well it’s absolutely pumping again today and pissing down. It’s going to be an interesting crossing this afternoon to sanur. Another 2 weeks would have been awesome but thems the breaks .The wreck was solid yesterday and only 8-10 guys once the swell kicked in , lacerations was small and 40 guys, today could be bigger. Lembongan is packed and next year will be back to quieter locations . A89-BCEB6-2-A7-D-450-C-89-AE-21-D2-FAF98343 No one out at ghosties , there for the taking if ya keen .

Is that a random peak supa or a legit wave? Looks nuts

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 6:42pm

@goofyfoot , it’s a legit wave and does get surfed but not regularly. It’s down from the wreck heading towards blue corner . There’s a few lefts along that strip. It’s a weird place in that the swell gets concentrated in certain area’s and it pumped here for about 90 minutes and the wreck wasn’t getting much action . Chris that set up lembongan bungalows in the late 70s used to surf it regularly along that strip . It’s called ghosties these days as about 10 years ago or more a boat full of musicians returning to nusa penida got broadsided by a wave in the middle of the night and nearly all lost their lives . I woke up to blood curdling screaming just after midnight and didn’t know what the fuck was going on . Locals won’t surf along there for obvious reasons . 16-C040-DB-4-ED9-40-C7-8-B17-0-FD4-DD6-F3634
31111399-A866-4-F5-D-81-E5-9-FE618-B0-A46-E Just heading from lembongan now , swells up , going to be some screaming I think.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 6:51pm

Interesting supa, you certainly know the place well.
Hope the boat ride isn’t too bad..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 7:14pm

An hour's taxi ride from Petitenget to Padma, caught two waves, snapped my leggy, then another hour sitting in traffic for the return trip.

Probably wont do that again.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 7:26pm

Could of walked it in 15 :-0

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 7:30pm

Pushbike along Beach...

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 7:37pm

Shame you didnt take your 9ft log , no leggy needed apparently.
How was the surf?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 7:39pm

Not bad, though a touch too big for the banks.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 7:40pm

Swell dropped off
https://balibelly.com/pages/kutabeach- Flush those Ears..

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 7 Jul 2023 at 7:55pm
stunet wrote:

An hour's taxi ride from Petitenget to Padma, caught two waves, snapped my leggy, then another hour sitting in traffic for the return trip.

Probably wont do that again.

Not a Bali holiday without being stuck in traffic!!
https://m.

&pp=ygUeamlnZ3kgamlnIG1hc3NhZ2UgYmFsaSBob2xpZGF5

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 9 Jul 2023 at 5:38pm

Any on the ground reports from today (Sunday) with that longer period groundswell in the water?

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Sunday, 9 Jul 2023 at 7:36pm

I don't think that swell and period would have arrived until late arvo. I'm not over there, so not sure, Tomorrow morning should see a difference I reckon.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 9 Jul 2023 at 8:36pm
Jamyardy wrote:

I don't think that swell and period would have arrived until late arvo. I'm not over there, so not sure, Tomorrow morning should see a difference I reckon.

you may be right as I was looking at ments forecast. Although with that swell period I still would have expected it to be in Bali today.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 5:14am

Just read Mikala Jones died yesterday in a surfing accident in the Mentawais.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 6:28am
goofyfoot wrote:

Just read Mikala Jones died yesterday in a surfing accident in the Mentawais.

No way.
That is tragic news.
Great surfer and always gentleman in the water.
Very sad.
RIP.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 7:23am

Severed femoral artery. Rotten luck.

Deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 8:40am

New Energy on the Bukit this morning Don..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 10:45am

Great conditions this morning. Much more size than yesterday.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 10:56am
udo wrote:

New Energy on the Bukit this morning Don..

Thanks

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 10:56am
stunet wrote:

Can you put a number on it?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 11:00am
donweather wrote:
stunet wrote:

Can you put a number on it?

4 stars.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 11:02am

Jokes.

6-8ft where I am. Maybe a bit bigger at Ulus?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 12:57pm

Ok thanks Stu

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 1:59pm

Nice Cond on East ATM - K is looking Fun

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 3:02pm

Nice Stu!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 15 Jul 2023 at 10:45am

Koster doing his best to attract more tourists to Bali . Bans anyone including locals from climbing mountains causing a huge ripple effect in unemployment . Trying to bring into law where tourists can stay which was explained to me was because of long term bule’s ( Russian and Ukraine expats ) wanting kos style lodgings because of financial situation which in effect has them competing with locals for rooms and price therefore goes up . Motorbike hire ? Now pay to enter on top of visa . Might seem small to individual but families might say why bother when Thailand and other destinations are a cheaper option . Doesn’t personally bother me but this guy has constant brain farts . https://coconuts.co/bali/news/eat-pay-love-foreigners-required-to-pay-us...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Jul 2023 at 2:14pm

@seeds , I just came across this on the Australian government website smart traveler indonesia . I don’t know the full details but it’s worth investigating. $700 for 5 years seems to good to be true . This is just a photo of what I looked at . IMG-4961
IMG-4962 …..EDIT …. Sorry I’ve confused myself, this looks more like what you may be after, second home visa , $2100 for 5 years. IMG-4963

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 22 Jul 2023 at 2:59pm

Thanks. $2100 for 5 years is okay. Wonder if the price drops if less years are applied for. I’ll have a look.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 22 Jul 2023 at 6:04pm

Personal bank accounts with minimum amount of Rp. 2,000,000,000,- (two billion rupiah) or equivalent needed - 197K AuD

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 22 Jul 2023 at 6:23pm

And "It is expected that the minimum funds of IDR 2bn will have to be in the account permanently, and that immigration will check sometimes, whether this minimum amount is still in the bank."

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Jul 2023 at 6:53pm

@udo , are you sure about that figure ? I was talking to a mate today about it who is currently on 5 year kitap retirement visa and was thinking of switching over to 2nd home visa but they wanted him to show that he had $80,000 AUD in account .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 22 Jul 2023 at 7:27pm
udo wrote:

Personal bank accounts with minimum amount of Rp. 2,000,000,000,- (two billion rupiah) or equivalent needed - 197K AuD

Yep or a Hak Pakai(right to use) property to a certain value depending on location in Indo. (map in link)

This guy knows his shit

https://matthewbrealey.medium.com/how-to-get-a-second-home-digital-nomad...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Jul 2023 at 7:27pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 22 Jul 2023 at 7:41pm

Miss out on 5 yrs interest $ 0n 200K !

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 23 Jul 2023 at 7:56am
indo-dreaming wrote:
udo wrote:

Yep or a Hak Pakai(right to use) property to a certain value depending on location in Indo. (map in link)

This guy knows his shit

https://matthewbrealey.medium.com/how-to-get-a-second-home-digital-nomad...

Very interesting and helpful article @indo , I will pass this onto my friend .