So we invent teleportation, what happens to surf travel?

Barrel Daithwaite's picture
Barrel Daithwaite started the topic in Wednesday, 2 Oct 2024 at 2:47pm

It’s 2045 and we’ve invented teleportation. It’s like google street view everywhere and you can browse a place before hitting go.

You can port anywhere in the world with as much as you can carry like food water surfboards etc.

The teleportation has a cooldown of 2 hours.

It’s cheap and accessible to mostly anyone. There are no ill effects to teleporting.

What happens to surf travel?

I assume every surfer has at some stage spent an hour on google maps perusing the endless setups scattered around the world that on their day are likely spinning out perfect empty sets all day long. But due to their remoteness have never even been visited.

In the hypothetical above. What happens? Are there 20,000 people at snapper on a cyclone swell? Does your local b grade wave get less crowded as the masses can go anywhere?

I envision a 10-15 year renaissance period of surf travel as previously un reachable waves are discovered but slowly as each one gets blown out the premier spots become increasingly crowded as they are now effortless to get to for anyone. However getting a nice surf to yourself becomes pretty easy if your happy to sacrifice quality.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 2 Oct 2024 at 5:23pm

Bump

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 2 Oct 2024 at 6:26pm

RCJ lives down the road from me, but he's run out of Mad Wax :(

You know this idea of more waves being surfed etc spreading out crowds i dont think works.

Indo is more crowded everywhere than it was even twenty years ago even with a number of areas opening up.

Same deal with the Goldie and the Superbank, when it was just Snapper & greenmount etc it there was far less people in the water than now witrh the Superbank, but are the other points like the Alley & Burleigh any less crowded?

Juliang's picture
Juliang's picture
Juliang Wednesday, 2 Oct 2024 at 7:14pm

@ Indo
I’ve often had Greenmount and inside Currumbin with a couple of guys out , .
Depends on swell direction, how long it’s been good, what the banks are like , etc
General rule is, the closer you go to the rock the more crowded it gets.
If it’s head high plus it’s going to be more crowded, but it can depend on how far down the line you go ,
And how often you get to check it out.

Juliang's picture
Juliang's picture
Juliang Wednesday, 2 Oct 2024 at 7:23pm

Your also more likely to get points less
crowded, if there are waves everywhere else
eg a head high East or ESE swell, with light winds.
Also the tides make a difference
sometimes low tide is too shallow for some people eg logs , and too fast .
But then high tide small , might be better
for logs , women etc

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 2 Oct 2024 at 8:05pm

Agree with you on that ID. Each new area becoming comfortable enough for the masses to spend time there simply creates more of them. Especially the holiday surfer types from places like Germany and the Netherlands, who inhabit surf camps and surf hostels across Indonesia and and Sri Lanka and Morocco. They’re basically already living in the teleportation era.