Botany Nerds Ahoy

seeds's picture
seeds started the topic in Saturday, 29 Jul 2023 at 1:40pm

Seems a keen interest for some, so why not.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 8:09pm
Pop Down wrote:

AW

On genus U are the genius and take your advice .
I will just remember One Commonly Common Named Plant then - Ozzy Rose .

Carolus Linnaeus sounds smart as I like when things don't confused in interpenetration between countries . Languages , especially Latin , are gobblygooglegoop imho .

I think I heard that someone ( UN ?) has chosen someone to nicely speak to aliens in the Periodic Tables quantum stuff ( not me ) , language ( first , as might become boring , we just need an ice breaker and French sounds cooler and no one gets our lingo or sense of humor imo .

As rocks and gold and Metals are the same Out There ( nearly wrote O/S ) , they at least will have something in Common to chat about haha

Aliens would have travelled a fair way to get here and probably don't like leaving empty handed . They are smart and won't want our Gold , useless and heavy !

PopDown. You are a thrill a minute, love it.
No denying, there are some amazing looking and smelling roses available, some varieties 100’s of years old, and others just named and registered.
I started life in nurseries, I had to remember every name, cultivation, cultural requirements, scent/no scent, thorny/thornless , disease resistance, long stem, short stem, allergy/ non allergenic , good cut flower/shit cut flower, long lasting flower/didn’t last long, laid/won’t get laid etc. use to do my head in. Alas, I was learning and that’s the name of the game.

Did you know, that all of the gold on earth today ( which is about the volume of 3.5 Olympic swimming pools) was formed in one big event, that’s it . Never repeated since. AW

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 8:12pm
AlfredWallace wrote:

I did notice she had a tick either side of her vents like it was some new reptilian fashionista set of earrings, impossible to catch her, shes so quick on the retreat. I’ve been told it’s about smothering the ticks breathing apparatus, where the hell am I going to see that let alone operate at such a miniscule focal range. I’ve got the full dissecting kit, done it before with tick tweezers, my son gets here Boxing Day from Europe, I will make it a mission. All the rain of late has not helped, what was parched a month ago is now like Anne of Green Gables residence. Good chatting.AW.

haha ; ) thanks for that giggle AW.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 8:24pm
seeds wrote:

AW, desert rose?

Seeds. Sorry, yes, definitely a Desert Rose, you know them for sure.AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 9:16pm

These were in the Simpson Desert / Munga-Thirri. In the second photo you can see they grow on the ridge of the dunes. Zoom in and in the background there’s another smaller ridge with them but none in the valley
IMG-4795
IMG-4796

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 9:17pm

Well you can’t really see as quality/clarity diminishes when posted

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 9:32pm

IMG-4794
IMG-4793

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 9:34pm

Another beauty with a close up
IMG-4797
IMG-4798

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 9:45pm

I think the first MungaThirri pic looks like Ptilotus obovatus but doesn’t have the pinkness in the flowers

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 9:49pm

whoaa! epic shots seeds : )
that close-up is otherworldly..

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 9:51pm
seeds wrote:

IMG-4794
IMG-4793

Seeds. The top photo of these two photos I’m pretty sure is Crotalaria cunninghamii, I know this plant well. think they are commonly called Green Bird Flower, Parrot Pea, African relatives are called Rattlepods. Family Fabaceae obviously, legumes and pea flowers. I’m working on the others. Beautiful landscape photos, it’s alive out there with life abounding.AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 10:05pm

Cheers
Maybe the first is Ptilotus latifolius
ps the first I posted on top the dunes

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 10:08pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
seeds wrote:

IMG-4794
IMG-4793

Seeds. The top photo of these two photos I’m pretty sure is Crotalaria cunninghamii, I know this plant well. think they are commonly called Green Bird Flower, Parrot Pea, African relatives are called Rattlepods. Family Fabaceae obviously, legumes and pea flowers. I’m working on the others. Beautiful landscape photos, it’s alive out there with life abounding.AW

The bottom photo beneath the Crotalaria photo, small plant with yellow heart shaped flowers looks like a species of Dampiera. I’ll have to continue and confirm in the morning, I’m baked. AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 10:14pm

No day light savings here. It’s not so late. Catch ya tomorrow.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Dec 2023 at 10:49pm

Goodenia cycloptera?

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 7:31am
seeds wrote:

Goodenia cycloptera?

Seeds. I thought Dampiera sp because of its flowers, as you know , this genus is in the Goodeniaceae Family, so it makes a lot of sense that it’s probably
Goodenia cycloptera as you’ve brilliantly suggested.

I cycled back through a lot of photos we’ve all posted on this thread over the last year, there was one of a dunce in the corner photo, you posted it, and suggested it was you, well, i vehemently disagree.
Great investigative work by a sleuth.AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 7:50am

Thanks AW. Just googled a lot. Saw edge like leaves were the giveaway eventually. Combined with, as you described, heart shaped flower.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 8:13am
seeds wrote:

Another beauty with a close up
IMG-4797
IMG-4798

Atriplex sp. I’d say, just got to work out which one.AW

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 10:07am

AW

Great photos .

So easy for me , to look into the distance and see a lovely landscape .

Your pictures ( the top one esp ) are a lovely reminder , to me , how incredible things can be , if I take a closer look .

Thanks mate , something for me to focus on today .

Poppy ( saw there was another Pop on SN ( sorry re my name ) ).

edit

As I can be a real shit sometimes , not at all surprised I was number 2 .

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 11:14am
Pop Down wrote:

AW

Great photos .

Your pictures ( the top one esp ) are a lovely reminder , to me , how incredible things can be , if I take a closer look .

edit

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 11:19am
AlfredWallace wrote:
Pop Down wrote:

AW

Great photos .

edit

@PopDown. Very funny “as I can be a real shit sometimes, not at all surprised I was number 2”.

I wouldn’t be so Down, there’s only one Pop on Swelllnet, that’s, you, AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 5:31pm

IMG-3084
IMG-3083

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 5:41pm

IMG-3076
IMG-3075
IMG-3079
IMG-3078

image000007
image000004
image000001

Something shared between the plant and bird ??

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 5:33pm

IMG-3082
IMG-3081
IMG-3080

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 6:03pm

That Crimson Rosella is freaking out in a tree fern with an Alfred Wallace lurking nearby

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 6:06pm
AlfredWallace wrote:

IMG-3076
IMG-3075
IMG-3079
IMG-3078

image000007
image000004
image000001

Seeds. How’s things ? If you work out the plant you’ll work what’s in common. AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 6:26pm

This?
IMG-4800

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 6:37pm
AlfredWallace wrote:
AlfredWallace wrote:

IMG-3076
IMG-3075
IMG-3079
IMG-3078

image000007
image000004
image000001

Seeds. How’s things ? If you work out the plant you’ll work what’s in common. AW

Seeds. The 4 photo set of the plant with the round pink flowers that’s above the birds, both different organisms share something!!!.AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 6:51pm

I was thinking the crimson parrot being a king parrot, I think’ and king fern. Eg my photo
Now you got me stumped
Rosella bird rosella plant? One makes my favourite jam

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 7:04pm

is it a boobook/barking owl...
(sorry fellas.. dad joke ; )

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 7:08pm
seeds wrote:

I was thinking the crimson parrot being a king parrot, I think’ and king fern. Eg my photo
Now you got me stumped
Rosella bird rosella plant? One makes my favourite jam

Seeds. Sorry to confuse you. The pink flowering plant is Hibiscus heterophyllus, Native Hibiscus or Native Rosella.
Plant and bird sharing the same name.

You’ve touched on something, a jam is made by some from the closing flower bud in photo 4, about the size of a ping pong ball, it’s delicious.

More trivia. The name Rosella for the bird is derived from the suburb in Sydney, Rose Hill. Late 1800’s, early settlers were astounded by the abundance of the colourful birds in that area . Being in Rose Hill and like everything in Australia, it became common to call them ‘rose hillers’ and eventually Rosella. AW

Edit, also the species name of the plant H.heterophyllus means more than one leaf form on the same plant. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 7:31pm
basesix wrote:

is it a boobook/barking owl...
(sorry fellas.. dad joke ; )

Basesix. Both amazing birds. Southern Boobook/Mopoke ( Ninox boobook) not to be confused with Morepork ( Ninox novaeseelandiae) , both are Typical Owls, as well as Barking Owls, Powerful Owls, Rufous Owls,

All other owls are in the Barn Owl group.AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 7:44pm

Very interesting the origins of the name
Birdy num num
IMG-4801

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 7:50pm
seeds wrote:

Very interesting the origins of the name
Birdy num num
IMG-4801

Seeds. You got a laugh from me, I thought of Peter Sellers, birdy num num. I want some, homemade or bought?. If homemade, who is making it ? AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 7:57pm

Yes Alfred, The Party.

?si=0TTNpQ4W5o5d0OUn

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 8:02pm
seeds wrote:

Yes Alfred, The Party.
https://youtu.be/ZFKJuzrCGj4?si=0TTNpQ4W5o5d0OUn

Seeds. Thank you, pissing myself. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 8:11pm
AlfredWallace wrote:

Who says weeds can’t produce beautiful flowers. Taken near home today.
After all it’s a native plant to some country or region, in this case, the Mediterranean Basin.

IMG-3072
IMG-3071
IMG-3070

No takers. Plant is a pest down here, almost impossible to get rid of, really digs itself into the ground. Member of the Daisy family, Asteraceae
No denying the flowers are amazing, taken with iPhone8. AW

Cynara cardunculus. Artichoke Thistle, Cardoon.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 8:28pm

Looks like a scotch thistle. Are the one and the same? Although I think I remember they had more of a pink flower

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 8:47pm
seeds wrote:

Looks like a scotch thistle. Are the one and the same? Although I think I remember they had more of a pink flower

Seeds, these flowers are bigger, on Cynara, but all the ones we call Scotch Thistle, mostly pink, geez, there’s a shitload of species and genera.
Onopordium, Cirsium, Acanthium, etc.
Scotch Thistle is Scotlands National Flower, they can bloody well have it. AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 9:25pm

I remember them thick on the ground around Moonee Ponds Creek in Broady when I was a kid. Also fennel everywhere. The Greek(I think) women used to be always out harvesting the wild fennel. We used to have some fun running around that creek valley. Making cubbies, sitting in the plum trees feasting, catching yabbies and picking leaches off ourselves when swimming. Too young to realise what a crap area it was. Adventure playground to us.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 10:00pm
seeds wrote:

I remember them thick on the ground around Moonee Ponds Creek in Broady when I was a kid. Also fennel everywhere. The Greek(I think) women used to be always out harvesting the wild fennel. We used to have some fun running around that creek valley. Making cubbies, sitting in the plum trees feasting, catching yabbies and picking leaches off ourselves when swimming. Too young to realise what a crap area it was. Adventure playground to us.

Seeds. Yep, kids, we did the same, we couldn’t see societal classes at that age, we’d be out all day, but do remember the smell of Foeniculum vulgare Wild Fennel especially along the train lines through Geelong, Greek and Italian early migrants, our parents thought they were desperate for food, in reality they were smarter than all of us, look how popular fennel is these days, unbridled children/youth, gotta love it.
The pushbike was the ‘steel horse’, early years of surfing we’d ride our bikes, board under arm down the back way from Geelong to Torquay along Horseshoe Bend Rd, which is now drowning in suburbia. Fucked by the time we got to the beach. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 21 Dec 2023 at 8:34pm

What do these three photos have in common ?

IMG-2795
IMG-2760
IMG-2603

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 21 Dec 2023 at 9:55pm

They are deciduous native trees of Australia

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 21 Dec 2023 at 10:00pm
seeds wrote:

They are deciduous native trees of Australia

Seeds . Hi mate. They can be semi-deciduous, relative to a particular season of the year, but not deciduous in the true sense of the word.

There’s a similarity between all of them ? AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 21 Dec 2023 at 10:06pm

The all flower after losing there leaves?

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 21 Dec 2023 at 10:08pm
seeds wrote:

The all flower after losing there leaves?

What type of trees are they ? AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 21 Dec 2023 at 10:11pm

Brachychiton

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 21 Dec 2023 at 10:21pm
seeds wrote:

Brachychiton

Seeds. Spot on. They are all different species of Brachychiton.

Big fat one, Brachychiton rupestris. Bottle Tree. Blackall, Old, Oct 2023

Brachychiton populneus. Kurrajong. Gundabooka N.P, NSW, Oct 2023

Brachychiton acerfolius. Illawarra Flame Tree, Flagstaff Gardens, Melbourne, July 2023.

Once members of the Sterculiaceae Family, now shifted into Malvaceae Family, but still in the Sterculioideae subfamily.

All great trees.

Other species, Brachychiton discolor Lacebark. AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 21 Dec 2023 at 10:27pm

Yeah I knew the flame tree and bottle tree. I was assuming the top leaves were of a similar tree.
This one is in Roma.
IMG-4821

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 22 Dec 2023 at 3:54pm

Hi AW and Seeds. I'm just catching up on all this, and enjoying it as usual.

ahh, the Brachychitons/bottle trees - favourites, and I've got all four of them planted here, and all doing quite well. The 'populneus' the slowest of them all so far - it was grown from seed collected at Augathella. And I've always had a particular liking for the pink lacebark - seen some rippers in the dry rainforests. A bit over a week ago I spent some days down in the rainforest at O'Reilly's and saw some large specimens in the wetter forest down there too. Awesome - the whole place is awesome. This trip I was particularly in awe of some massive old Brush Box, incredible. Got right down into the Canungra Creek system, some stunning waterfalls... sorry, no photos, I'm sure you'll take my word for it

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 22 Dec 2023 at 5:14pm

Hi GJ
Great to get away even for a short time. AW has been clocking up the miles.
There was a flame tree at mine when we moved in. Close to the house. I gave it a good few years but the floral display was disappointing every time and the bloody mess it made every year dropping leaves did my head in. Mr Stihl paid it a visit.