Show us your photos

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Tuesday, 7 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm

In semi lockdown I'm finally sorting through a lifetime of photos and inspired by what Craig and Andy recently posted I thought why not.
We travel a fair bit and there has to be some crackers in the vaults.
Good if we follow the Swellnet tradition of not naming or being too obvious.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 26 Dec 2023 at 8:14pm

Good time to put on Jimi's purple haze, sit back and smoke a fat one while watching it all go down.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 27 Dec 2023 at 10:09pm

Moonrise just now.
IMG-4883
Zoom in. The moon is wearing a bandana riffing on a sunburst guitar

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 27 Dec 2023 at 10:29pm

^ haha, so it is! GLToes record sleeve? Glad boingas was good, I liked RDolls links, great support choice.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 27 Dec 2023 at 10:33pm

Rock on to thy Heavenly Father

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 28 Dec 2023 at 7:10am

Nice seeds!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 7:16pm

Yesterday evening was bitterly cold with 20 25 knots winds (pic below) but today was clear as and warm.
IMG-5170
IMG-5148
IMG-5134

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 7:15pm

Stunning

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 7:29pm

Great pics seeds, lovely part of the world

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 7:31pm

Gorgeous.

Is this Australia? Tassie?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 7:32pm

Cradle mountain, zen.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 7:37pm

Cheers LD. I love the high country.

Nice Seeds.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 3 Feb 2024 at 9:16pm

Indeed. First time to Cradle. Can see why it’s so popular. Bit of vertical hiking today which made it quite apparent how out of shape my legs are.
Plenty of people heading off on the Overland track to Lake St Clair. 5-6 days in the high country would be a great experience.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 8:34am

Gday @seeds the fact you got to see Cradle Mountain clear of cloud like that on your first trip is so good, it’s covered in cloud or mist most days of the year. It’s beautiful country for sure, enjoy.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 8:52am

Hi Guy
Cloud is back today. It was special experiencing it without a cloud in the sky. But I confess Friday evening when I took a walk absolutely freezing cold with wind howling did it for me. There was no one around except the wombats and it had a raw wilderness vibe that makes something primitive, for lack of a better word, stir inside.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 12:23pm

Understand where you’re coming from @seeds, ancient country up there for sure and can be bitterly cold as you say, sounds like you’re having a great time

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 1:27pm

^^ you're on it @seeds, that feeling used to scare hell out of English people when they went to Nth Scotland, where there's no 'hand-of-man' on nature; you're on your own in a timeless, beautiful, but cold and indifferent landscape. (kinda what JJF was probably feeling, in that 'solomons' dusk session of Nate's).

Lotsa words 18th/19th century peeps used to describe these godless landscapes meanings have evolved. 'Sublime, terrible, terrific, awesome'...

I agree, nothing more empowering than feeling insignificant in nature's majesty. Gives you the giggles!

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 2:54pm

Loving it. The high country and wilds of the south west are awesome.
IMG-20231220-135805039-HDR
IMG-20231216-153525996

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 3:55pm

Love that Blackers. The picture of the stream is tranquility. Where is that dome mountain shot? Looks like it falls away to possibly a valley far below.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 4:08pm

Cheers Seeds. Mt Buffalo, near the Chalet. It looks out over the valley, with a very steep drop, River shot is from nearby Bright. Not quite the Tassie wilderness but pleasant in the summer with all mod cons at hand. Bright Brewery is great!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 4:18pm

Been up to Mt Buffalo a few times as a kid. Winter and summer. Summer camping was great swimming in the lake with the pontoon anchored in the middle. That was early 80s. Wife and I went there winter late 90s. Stayed in Bright. Went up to Buffalo one day to give skiing a go. Was a funny day. Missus was struggling a bit and the Swiss lady instructor kept yelling out “Terra snow plough” when she was unable to stop. Wife’s name is Terri. I still call Terri Terra to this day.
Didn’t the chalet shut down in disrepair?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 4:26pm

Ha, ski instructors! My mum, now in her mid 80’s, has a tale about a European ski instructor who invited her up to “see his photos” from back in the day. “ I didn’t understand, and luckily he changed his tune when he realised I was so young “.
Unfortunately the Chalet remains closed. It looks not far off reopening but no $ available to finish the job. Looks good tho, externals are clean and look sound, the bits inside that you can see from the outside seem ready to go.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 4:32pm

Wow still closed. That’s a shame!
And haha if it was ya dad he would’ve left you in the car with a packet of chips and a red lemonade

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 5:01pm

I’ll stop boring everyone after this. Couple from today. Bit of mucking around with pano setting on iPhone. Using it vertically instead of horizontally
IMG-5194
IMG-5195
IMG-5188
The echidnas here don’t have any back quills like there brother and sisters up home.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 5:22pm

Not boring me seeds, keep posting awesome shots

saurusv1's picture
saurusv1's picture
saurusv1 Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 5:23pm

That rock in the foreground of the first photo of Cradle Mt is glacial. Very ancient!

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 5:27pm

Dropstone?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 5:46pm

What is dropstone Seaslug?
Yes glacial, saurusv1. Reading about it and then hiking it you can see where the glacier flowed and carved out the valley there. There was a great diagram showing the immensity of it there. 20,000 years ago or so.
The second photo is the path of the glacier to the north back then

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 6:42pm

"A dropstone is a geologic term for a glacial erratic. A glacial erratic is a large, misplaced rock on the landscape. The Rocky Mountain West was once home to several large glaciers and these glaciers pushed far out onto the plains. As they receded, they left behind debris (dropstones) transported from other locations."

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 6:52pm

Thanks Seaslug.
Edit. This giant rock on Dove Lake edge is called glacier rock. Maybe a dropstone? I highlighted it on my pic and grabbed a pic off the web of it
IMG-5195
IMG-5196

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 10:15pm

Nice. I dug out a few more from our stay in Bright (and one from a recent sojourn to the Southern Highlands).
I4A2562
I4A2554
I4A2545
I4A2528
I4A2497
I4A1692

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 4 Feb 2024 at 10:52pm

Blackers that first photo is amazing.

Is that the Chalet?

That last photo could be in the Territory

Love it!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 6:54am

Wow epic photos guys! Haven't done Cradle yet but on the list. Also Fed peak one day, that looks intense!

And the Vic high country looks so beautiful as well, love the granite!

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 7:04am

Cheers Seeds (edit: and Craig)
The first 3 are from the top of Mt Buffalo, a wider view from near where the earlier pic was taken, and of course the Chalet. It still looks in pretty good nick.
The middle shots are from Falls Creek village, loads of dead snow gums. Cause for concern given the frequency of fires in recent times is not giving them enough time to recover.
The last one is Fitzroy Falls, at the top of the escarpment in between Bowral and Kangaroo Valley.
Enjoy your travels. We never got to Penguin.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 9:05am
blackers wrote:

Cheers Seeds (edit: and Craig)
The first 3 are from the top of Mt Buffalo, a wider view from near where the earlier pic was taken, and of course the Chalet. It still looks in pretty good nick.
The middle shots are from Falls Creek village, loads of dead snow gums. Cause for concern given the frequency of fires in recent times is not giving them enough time to recover.
The last one is Fitzroy Falls, at the top of the escarpment in between Bowral and Kangaroo Valley.
Enjoy your travels. We never got to Penguin.

Blackers. Morning. I’m in total admiration of those photos you’ve posted. Definitely a feeling of tranquility coming at me from my screen.

How’s your macro photography coming along ? Good stuff. AW

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 9:29pm

Hi Alfred, thanks for that. All is well with us, thanks. Hope you are enjoying your travels.

Have had a few lens issues, but the new one has been dispatched so will be back on the macro horse again soon. However, I do have a couple of test shots with a vintage Zeiss lens that I scored on Gumtree. Not real macro but nice and close.

I4A2669
I4A2671
I4A2672

Sorry about the size, I tried to slim them down but need to do more.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 5 Feb 2024 at 9:47pm
blackers wrote:

Hi Alfred, thanks for that. All is well with us, thanks. Hope you are enjoying your travels.

Have had a few lens issues, but the new one has been dispatched so will be back on the macro horse again soon. However, I do have a couple of test shots with a vintage Zeiss lens that I scored on Gumtree. Not real macro but nice and close.

I4A2669
I4A2671
I4A2672

Sorry about the size, I tried to slim them down but need to do more.

Blackers. Nice shots. Bottom photo, Plumeria sp. Frangipani, second photo is it the beautiful fragrant flower of Michelia doltsopa the Wong Ian from China ?
Top photo , not sure, maybe a Calthea sp. possibly a Peperomia sp., Colocasia or Alocasia if they are large leaves.

Back from travels as of Friday. Wonderful time crossing the continent, on the road, and around the environs of Perth. AW.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024 at 6:19pm

IMG-5216

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024 at 7:54pm
blackers wrote:

Nice. I dug out a few more from our stay in Bright (and one from a recent sojourn to the Southern Highlands).
I4A2562
I4A2554
I4A2545
I4A2528
I4A2497
I4A1692

The colours in the last pic are amazing..that colour would change as the sun goes over it through the day.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 7 Feb 2024 at 10:18am

Cheers Roadkill. The afternoon light makes the sandstones glow. Not unlike other more famous rock outcrops.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 4:57pm

This island has some great water and sand

IMG-5260
IMG-5317
IMG-5319

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 5:35pm
seeds wrote:

This island has some great water and sand

IMG-5260
IMG-5317
IMG-5319

Seeds. Hi mate. Beautiful shots, water clarity, amazing. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 5:40pm

Lincoln Gap, South Australia. 18/010/24

This photo, I love the colour, not really a dogs dinner. AW

IMG-0027

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 5:46pm

Nullarbor 23/01/24.

I have taken plenty of photos over 39 years crossing and enjoying this region of our continent.
This photo, I love the dreamy cloud formations, believe it or not, it was actually humid, hadn’t really experienced that kind of weather at that location on previous stops for a quick snap. 26c when we arrived at the cliffs, only 100km east leaving Penong, 47c, dramatic contrast. AW

IMG-3174
image upload

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 6:05pm

That is a great photo AW. Dramatically shows the flatness of the land and the abruptness of its ending.
Never been myself

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 6:25pm
seeds wrote:

That is a great photo AW. Dramatically shows the flatness of the land and the abruptness of its ending.
Never been myself

Bit of a fluke really, I just turned around, saw those 3D like clouds and the vanishing horizon, pushed the button on a clapped out iPhone 8 and how’s ya luck.

BTW, appears as though you and your lovely had a great holiday in Tassie, good to see it before it’s all gone at the rate that it’s being trashed.AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 6:50pm

Yes it’s been great. We went up Ben Lomond yesterday. It’s one of Tassies 2 ski fields in winter. In summer it’s a dolarite quarry(looks like)

IMG-5406

IMG-5409
IMG-5420
IMG-5411

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 7:42pm

Wild ride up/down in that first pic. Looks great Seeds.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 7:55pm
seeds wrote:

Yes it’s been great. We went up Ben Lomond yesterday. It’s one of Tassies 2 ski fields in winter. In summer it’s a dolarite quarry(looks like)

IMG-5406

IMG-5409
IMG-5420
IMG-5411

How’s that road. Mind bending.AW

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 6:32pm

Big storms came through this arvo. The calm before the storm.
IMG-20240213-143718749

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 7:51pm
blackers wrote:

Big storms came through this arvo. The calm before the storm.
IMG-20240213-143718749

Blackers. Hi mate. Beautiful shot, love the differing horizontal lines of colour. AW