I heart WOTD

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:07am

The wave of the day does it for me big time. Nice work Steen Barnes , Shaun Anderson and Swellnet.
In one photo you've encompassed everything nice about surfing. If I was a wanker I'd say that it was perfect except for the fact he is in a wetsuit. Which it is , it's perfect .....except for the fact he's in a wetsuit.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 1:49pm

indo-dreaming wrote:

If you had never been there before you wouldn't know where it was, but maybe some people now will work it out because you guys gave clues to its location.

Clues?

Black Car Bay?

White Sand Beach?

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 1:50pm

Fair play Stunet the comment was directed at Jack not SN. In terms of recent extensive exposure in the mags (2014?) I gave them an equal blast, so i'm just being consistent.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 2:09pm

No need to get so defensive Stunet. Just pointed out the facts about SN as Ben recently also stated, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. Also there's nothing wrong or unprincipled about being pissed off about further exposure of surf locations that are not yet seriously overcrowded no matter how much exposure they've had in past IMO, that's just a personal choice. Maybe I'm in lala land on this issue.

What's interesting is "some" of the regular contributors to SN at times complain or "whinge" as you put it, about the exposure of certain spots (blame the photographer) however they rarely condemn SN for posting the pic. I completely accept the fact that SN is doing what it is designed to do, no misunderstanding from my point of view. Just strange others don't seem to see the irony in their stance or at least don't want to acknowledge this truth for the fear of upsetting SN, who don't see any issue as you've explained above.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 2:44pm

Rabbits68 wrote:

No need to get so defensive Stunet. Just pointed out the facts about SN as Ben recently also stated, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. Also there's nothing wrong or unprincipled about being pissed off about further exposure of surf locations that are not yet seriously overcrowded no matter how much exposure they've had in past IMO, that's just a personal choice. Maybe I'm in lala land on this issue. What's interesting is "some" of the regular contributors to SN at times complain or "whinge" as you put it, about the exposure of certain spots (blame the photographer) however they rarely condemn SN for posting the pic. I completely accept the fact that SN is doing what it is designed to do, no misunderstanding from my point of view. Just strange others don't seem to see the irony in their stance or at least don't want to acknowledge this truth for the fear of upsetting SN, who don't see any issue as you've explained above.

Haven't we been over this a few times? Guess I should accept that it's a recurring issue, even with long term users...

The simple fact is this: we get sent a lot of shots that I don't run because of sensitivities. You don't have any idea about what I turn away because we don't make it public. We also don't name sensitive locations. If you can think of any times we've done that please let me know.

A curious thing is that on a few occassions I've turned down a shot only for it to appear in full uncropped glory on other sites. And the amount of complaints they get? Zero...

So where are you then, Rabs? What should I believe when you don't complain to them yet complain to us?

What I could take from this is that you guys don't really care about exposure (I mean if you did, you'd complain on their site, surely?) The temptation is to think that it's just old guys complaining. You're not really trying to change anything. What you're actually doing is a form of bonding; showing you belong as a 'surfer' 'cos complaining is what surfers do.

So I could easily ignore it because I think old guys whinging about inconsequential shit is the world's biggest bore. I could run all the shots that get sent to me. However, I don't because I've got my own ethics to answer to.

That doesn't stop the photogs from posting them all to Facebook and Instagram and whatever social platform is popular this week. That's their prerogative yet I notice they very, very rarely get pulled up. The whinging old guys are silent there too.

And one last digression: One of our "regular contributors" who's had many goes at us about exposure has been posting pics of his beloved coastline on Facebook. What's good for the goose is good for the bigger goose?

So in summary, 'cos I'm pretty sick of typing and bored of the whole topic, everyone and anyone can post photos and mention locations, except for Swellnet.

That cool with you?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 2:59pm

Curious, Stu, why is that you think its 'old guys' ? Man, with all the acid and dope thats gone thru their brains over the years, you would think - 'its cool man'.

On a more relevant note, do you actually have a clear set of guidelines for posting shots or articles ? More out of interest really. Only recently there was a chat about 'secret' spots and of course about the lucky world travellers discovering beauties. Do we still have 'secret' spots (of note), say, along the East coast (of Aus). I would guess not.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:10pm
stunet wrote:

Rabbits68 wrote:

No need to get so defensive Stunet. Just pointed out the facts about SN as Ben recently also stated, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. Also there's nothing wrong or unprincipled about being pissed off about further exposure of surf locations that are not yet seriously overcrowded no matter how much exposure they've had in past IMO, that's just a personal choice. Maybe I'm in lala land on this issue. What's interesting is "some" of the regular contributors to SN at times complain or "whinge" as you put it, about the exposure of certain spots (blame the photographer) however they rarely condemn SN for posting the pic. I completely accept the fact that SN is doing what it is designed to do, no misunderstanding from my point of view. Just strange others don't seem to see the irony in their stance or at least don't want to acknowledge this truth for the fear of upsetting SN, who don't see any issue as you've explained above.

Haven't we been over this a few times? Guess I should accept that it's a recurring issue, even with long term users...

The simple fact is this: we get sent a lot of shots that I don't run because of sensitivities. You don't have any idea about what I turn away because we don't make it public. We also don't name sensitive locations. If you can think of any times we've done that please let me know.

A curious thing is that on a few occassions I've turned down a shot only for it to appear in full uncropped glory on other sites. And the amount of complaints they get? Zero...

So where are you then, Rabs? What should I believe when you don't complain to them yet complain to us?

What I could take from this is that you guys don't really care about exposure (I mean if you did, you'd complain on their site, surely?) The temptation is to think that it's just old guys complaining. You're not really trying to change anything. What you're actually doing is a form of bonding; showing you belong as a 'surfer' 'cos complaining is what surfers do.

So I could easily ignore it because I think old guys whinging about inconsequential shit is the world's biggest bore. I could run all the shots that get sent to me. However, I don't because I've got my own ethics to answer to.

That doesn't stop the photogs from posting them all to Facebook and Instagram and whatever social platform is popular this week. That's their prerogative yet I notice they very, very rarely get pulled up. The whinging old guys are silent there too.

And one last digression: One of our "regular contributors" who's had many goes at us about exposure has been posting pics of his beloved coastline on Facebook. What's good for the goose is good for the bigger goose?

So in summary, 'cos I'm pretty sick of typing and bored of the whole topic, everyone and anyone can post photos and mention locations, except for Swellnet.

That cool with you?

Firstly I'm not sure why your directing the above to me specifically & in such sarcastic tone . Point out where I've complained/whinged or don't understand how SN works. Once again you've explained SNs stance clearly.

I believe you 100% that some content you choose not to display will probably appear elsewhere but because of your "ethics" you choose not to show said content. Fair enough. I also admit that I rarely look at other surf websites & never post my opinion elsewhere (bummer for you guys I suppose). So you've got me there.

I think from now on I will personally let sleeping dogs lie when it come to this issue. As sad as it is the reality is that exposure of surf spots globally is a free for all these days & your right, I or anyone has no right to hold SN accountable (not that I have) for any reason whatsoever in regards to this issue. Let the good times roll....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:15pm
stunet wrote:

indo-dreaming wrote:

If you had never been there before you wouldn't know where it was, but maybe some people now will work it out because you guys gave clues to its location.

Clues?

Black Car Bay?

White Sand Beach?

I wasn't talking about Swellnet, i was talking about the guys here discussing the spot and giving clues to its location.

We must have posted at the same time but i agree with your post just before mine wholeheartedly.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:18pm

tonybarber wrote:

Curious, Stu, why is that you think its 'old guys' ? Man, with all the acid and dope thats gone thru their brains over the years, you would think - 'its cool man'. On a more relevant note, do you actually have a clear set of guidelines for posting shots or articles ? More out of interest really. Only recently there was a chat about 'secret' spots and of course about the lucky world travellers discovering beauties. Do we still have 'secret' spots (of note), say, along the East coast (of Aus). I would guess not.

TB,

Nah, it's not always old guys but when I hear someone, anyone, complaining about pointless or hypocritical things Abraham Simpson comes to mind. The surfer that is 16-going-on-60 is alive and well.

We have a set of guidelines that are in a permanent state of flux; they're always being questioned and refined. Ben and I chat about secret spot sensitivites more than anything else to do with surfing. I'm sure he's sick of me asking for second opinions or the like. It takes up a lot of time, way more than you could ever know, and when we reject shots they invariably end up in public anyway.

Like I alluded to in the last post: I sometimes wonder why we bother.

To your last point: 'secret spots' is a subjective term. What's secret to you is well known to another and it's like that right around Australia. In that regard it's best to err on the side of caution, which I sincerely think we do with under-the-radar spots.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:26pm

PS. I once surfed the inside like this by myself for a few hours just before dark, was only small but total glass and so much fun , such a magical spot when no ones around.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:42pm

Good on you SW for having some guidelines in this regard, I think SW does do a pretty good job with not naming specific places but fair to say SW does naturally add to the level of surfer excitement / interest out there after all its part of the business model.

And I take Stu's point about other sites and social media platforms ...... today on an Instagram account (which I choose not to name) a smoking left has been posted with the caption "meanwhile today in {insert name}" when given the prevailing wind and weather conditions today there is no way its working, it would have been onshore shit. It hasn't stopped over 100 comments from readers so far frothing about the spot/wave ......

I'm old school about this whole topic and go to great lengths to say nothing to no body and it can drive me crazy how so many seem to get off more talking about it or posting it than the actual doing. I hate crowds and it has driven me to get that extra foam "crowd killer" board, to train all the more harder, and to drive that extra 100 kms to get away from it all ..... they say its progress, it isn't, but sadly it isn't going away either.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:46pm

Rabbits68 wrote:

Firstly I'm not sure why your directing the above to me specifically & in such sarcastic tone .

C'mon Rabs, I enjoy your posts. Dig your all 'round contributions to Swellnet but you can't play obtuse. You took a swipe and I replied.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:47pm

indo-dreaming wrote:

I wasn't talking about Swellnet, i was talking about the guys here discussing the spot and giving clues to its location.

Yeah I figured that. Was just being facetious.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:54pm
stunet wrote:

Rabbits68 wrote:

Firstly I'm not sure why your directing the above to me specifically & in such sarcastic tone .

C'mon Rabs, I enjoy your posts. Dig your all 'round contributions to Swellnet but you can't play obtuse. You took a swipe and I replied.

Definitely got more than I bargained for :)

Peace

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 3:56pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

PS. I once surfed the inside like this by myself for a few hours just before dark, was only small but total glass and so much fun , such a magical spot when no ones around.

Thanks for the info, indo. I thought I had an idea of where this was, but now I'm twice as certain about it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 4:09pm
grog-an wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Thanks for the info, indo. I thought I had an idea of where this was, but now I'm twice as certain about it.

Doh

Nah really like Stu said its far far from a secret, far from even being low key, just doesn't get surfed all that much because it doesn't break that much.

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 4:30pm

haha.. your clues are 2x worse than the others on here indo! ;)

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 5:26pm

based on observation after the exposure it got in the mags, where a handful of people had it to themselves for 2 days straight, the next time the forecasts looked good for the place the crowd was 100 strong. both sessions were on weekdays. go figure.

it's not a witch-hunt for Nat, Pat & wingnut, its a message to let Jack know that the hype is not helping anyone.

p-funk's picture
p-funk's picture
p-funk Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 5:10pm

Have you guys been there any weekend in the last few years when its remotely on since the SW expose? Makes the Superbank look uncrowded. Its no secret.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 5:14pm

Nah the worse one is the one that mentioned the area.

But really it doesn't matter i don't want to name the place but even if I did it wouldn't matter, for gods sake its crazy people complaining about spots like this and places like Lennox being shown or named online.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 5:39pm

Go figure, it's secret but not so secret as its makes Superbank look 'uncrowded'.
Well, life is a puzzle I guess.

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 6:11pm

Seriously?!! All this over a wave where nine times out of ten even when conditions look primo you'll get skunked. Certainly no noosa or the super bank.
Even the waves in the pic look unrideable.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 6:31pm
silentp wrote:

Seriously?!! All this over a wave where nine times out of ten even when conditions look primo you'll get skunked. Certainly no noosa or the super bank.
Even the waves in the pic look unrideable.

You sound like you're in the know. When do conditions look good next? I'd say the sand looks decent... Meet you there don't tell anyone brada!

Have a think for a sec. message is to Jack for a reason.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 9:37pm

Not anyone at this website of course, but often people that complain about the exposure of a unspecified 'secret' spot always seem to make the point of proving they know where it is.
The complaint sometimes seems like a bit of a trojan horse just to show that the complainer is 'in the know'.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 8:17am

All I can say is tough titties for any so called secrete spots. If they have surf cam on one
of the most iconic waves on the east coast ( shark island ) than any where is fair game.

sandy's picture
sandy's picture
sandy Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 9:17am

With more and more people surfing these days its no wonder the lesser known spots slowly become popularized.....
If I'm on the road and manage to time it right to get a nice swell at a spot somewhere like the above, then sweet - but sure as hell I won't be out there hassling like so many guys do these days.
In my opinion a lot of guys just need to take it down a notch with the attitude, and we'd all be better off and enjoy the water - after all that's the whole reason to be out there or not. Problem solved.

boxright's picture
boxright's picture
boxright Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 9:36am

Theres a bunch of teenagers that store their boards in a garage next to my house and they hang around talking about surfing, girls and things. Crowds in the surf are a popular topic and they pine for the "good old days" even though none of them could've been surfing longer than 4 or 5 years. On one level its just funny to listen to but I also think these kids will grow up to be angry locals wanting to turn back the clock to something they've never ever experienced.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 27 Feb 2016 at 4:05pm

I reckon the attendance record at that 'secret spot' got broken today. Unbelievable, and it's all your fault, Swellnet :p

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Saturday, 27 Feb 2016 at 4:27pm

What about the 2 or 3 features on it on youtube lostdoggy? I want to surf it but convenience would have me heading into coolangatta with the abundance of points in the region and ease of access. Plus cousin at burleigh and brunswick helps.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 27 Feb 2016 at 4:38pm

Don't know about those, but I was joking anyway.
Was much bigger and better yesterday, too.

p-funk's picture
p-funk's picture
p-funk Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 1:46pm

Was there Friday as well doggy. Heard reports of Saturdays Zoo-fest (over 200 cars?). Friday was bad enough given it wasn't even that good.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 1:50pm

Can't believe people go to some places (in hoards) when the swell/wind direction and other factors etc are no good. Shows how easy it is still to get relatively empty waves at known spots if you know the right combo.

p-funk's picture
p-funk's picture
p-funk Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 2:14pm
Craig wrote:

Can't believe people go to some places (in hoards) when the swell/wind direction and other factors etc are no good. Shows how easy it is still to get relatively empty waves at known spots if you know the right combo.

Surfable spots in "big" swell events in SE QLD are generally limited to a maximum of 3 areas given they are generally accompanied by wind. If you want to surf in 2 of those areas you will be surfing with 94385803 other people if you wish to partake. If you chance upon good local synoptics and get no wind, you have probably 4 more additional areas, some of which are well known, others not. These generally all require PWCs/boats and have windows of a few hours to get properly 'on'. Add to this the f&ck around factor of organising, driving (up to 6 hours some times if you want to go 'up there', then water travel time), cost etc...

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that a bog std 3-4ft tradewind swell with good winds is the best case scenario for QLD in general in terms of spreading crowd and increasing general enjoyment levels.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 2:43pm

Totally p-funk re trade-swells. Noosa this time two years ago was sublime, a week of 3-5ft trade-swell topped off with big 6-8ft Granites on the final day and got tons of waves.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 2:48pm

thats best case for spreading the load for sure.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 3:08pm

Not sure what old mate on the shoulder is waiting for. Go son!!!

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 4:23pm
p-funk][quote=Craig wrote:

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that a bog std 3-4ft tradewind swell with good winds is the best case scenario for QLD in general in terms of spreading crowd and increasing general enjoyment levels.

This is the go. Love the trade swells, just opens up the beach breaks, shorter period, peakier waves. In this neck of the woods what more do you want than 3-4 foot a-frames to yourself?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 10:22am

Pertinent to a recent discussion on here.

A tiny bit dreamy!

Posted by Sam Norwood on Monday, February 29, 2016

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 10:36am

Wow the banks way inside.

Imagine how crowded it would be if you didn't need a 4wd to get there.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 11:05am

Looks like it just wasn't quite right. very small for an east swell.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 9:41pm

Pic of tim taplin is really worth a thumbs up double like

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 9:53pm

That thing is ridiculous.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 4:36pm
Craig wrote:

Supports my original argument completely. Now that we've observed the event I want to break it down...

My initial blast wasn't about exposing a secret spot (however it's funny that nobody has taken the leap to name it on here, everyone has exercised some caution). The majority of QLD surfers know where this joint is. They also probably learned the hard way that It's fickle as buggery. That's why it maintains a low profile.
What doesn't help is when every now and then some noob wants to show everyone how good the banks are at a particular time. When Ellis Ericsson and co. boasted their session and even got it printed in Surfing World, the very next swell was crowded there (50+) and ironically the waves were average.

I follow a bunch of the photogs in the region on Instagram and the week before the Winston swell hit, they were throwing up pictures of their morning's session at the spot, which I can only gather the 'reverse skeleton bay' photo was taken from. All indications were that the banks were good and the swell was getting in.

Call me crazy but if these blokes have 1000s of followers and get at least 200 likes for each photo of the spot depicting the current state: excellent banks, less than a week out from a perfect forecast for the spot in question, Are we really surprised that on the day the swell was expected to peak, the crowds were by far and wide the busiest they have ever been?

Some questions to consider:
1) how many followers of sunnycoast surf photographers a) live near to the Sunnycoast and b) surf?
2) How many of these same followers know a little bit about this place and roughly what conditions it needs?
3) how many of them know that it needs good banks to be worth the drive?
4) How much affect did all the hype have on the 200 odd people planning a Friday mish up the beach with the boys to score it Saturday morning?

Truthfully there would have been a crowd regardless because the conditions initially looked great for Friday/Saturday of the Winston swell. But to dismiss that the hype made of it a week out as being a major contributor to the more than triple the normal crowd numbers on Saturday is ignorant.

It was poor judgement of Jack to have shared his session in social media and on Swellnet just a few days before he would return to the place expecting to score again and find a carpark instead of the dream-point he had photographed only a few days earlier.

Said this before: Swellnet do a good job of keeping places discreet and its one of the major reasons why I use their forcasting services over Surfline & Coastalwatch. The title given to the photo was crafty, the photo was discreet if you hadn't been to the spot before.

I'm not going to bother anyone any further on this. The above is only an opinion based on my years of observation about how crowds come and go at fickle spots. Choose to believe that hype can bring the crowds and live by actively avoiding it and you may luck upon a few good sessions somewhere rare before everyone catches wind of the banks, or palm it off as another whinger desperately trying to hold onto a long lost part of surfing folklore - 'keeping your mouth shut when you've scored'. Either way i'm still gunna get the shits and speak my mind if a photog can't help but spill the beans for a few likes.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 2 Apr 2016 at 4:21pm

Like the style by Ziggi AlberT;)

Ziggi a great name, to say the least.

My wife's son is called Ziggi, actually from Iggi Pop, believe it or not.

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 2 Apr 2016 at 5:21pm

Your Missus had it off with Iggi Pop, get out of here!! Was that before you met her, or after? and if after, did they let you watch?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 2 Apr 2016 at 6:54pm
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu wrote:

Your Missus had it off with Iggi Pop, get out of here!! Was that before you met her, or after? and if after, did they let you watch?

You're a bad man.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 2 Apr 2016 at 7:05pm
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu wrote:

Gold;)

Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 2 Apr 2016 at 7:44pm

Don't avoid the question.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 2 Apr 2016 at 8:42pm

Come to think of it, it was after!
It did come to my attention, there was a thin creepy shadow lurking around.

Hako o hakonde ... Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 4:22am

Got the video? post it.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 11:43am
wellymon wrote:

It did come to my attention, there was a thin creepy shadow lurking around.

I actually thought, that is was you Bikini;)