~ Board Review Vids ~

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Monday, 7 Dec 2020 at 9:45am

Board review vids..

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 3 May 2024 at 10:45am

^ ha, nice video, cheers @udo, I still have my oft repaired barton lynch brothers neilsen board, shaped by phil with a vent system, but yeh, sadly too thin for me now except as a novelty board. (haha, I bet he can hang 10 off that Japanese boat! any more thoughts about that fugly little diamond tail of waxhead's?))

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 3 May 2024 at 11:31am

Matt has been a Poster on Swellnet Forums...maybe he could tell us a bit about it ?
He is having a Garage Sale Tmoro....Boards Clothing Wetsuits and more / Brookvale.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 3 May 2024 at 11:34am

@quadzilla "Dan Mann and Kelly are playing catch up

Catch up to who?.....Greg will sell a few dozen of these,KS & DM will sell thousands around the world....these sort of designs have been done for a long time by plenty of shapers."

Just saw your reply quad.

I was doing a bit of tongue in cheek shit stirring! You're right though, they'll sell truck loads compared to GW, it's the slick marketing clout of Firewire up against a one man vaudeville act. My only interest is in the design, to be honest I couldn't give a rats about who sells what, the less the better as far as I'm concerned. Listening to a couple of Dan Manns interviews about the new designs I noticed the similarity between what he described and some of Webbers boards and wondered how much influence was taken from them particularly after Slater had been been riding a few of Webbers and Banksy's at what seems to be around the same time he came up with the idea

I've got one of Greg Webbers boards with the same bottom profile as the clip I put up the other day and my initial thought when I got it was that it was based off a reverse vee but I wasn't aware of too many other shapers putting in the vee double through the middle of the board like his (and Banks) designs. It's all good though, just part of the evolution of board design that's been going on for ever so we can all have a bit more fun on them. Cheers

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Friday, 3 May 2024 at 4:01pm
Fliplid wrote:

@quadzilla "Dan Mann and Kelly are playing catch up

Catch up to who?.....Greg will sell a few dozen of these,KS & DM will sell thousands around the world....these sort of designs have been done for a long time by plenty of shapers."

Just saw your reply quad.

I was doing a bit of tongue in cheek shit stirring! You're right though, they'll sell truck loads compared to GW, it's the slick marketing clout of Firewire up against a one man vaudeville act. My only interest is in the design, to be honest I couldn't give a rats about who sells what, the less the better as far as I'm concerned. Listening to a couple of Dan Manns interviews about the new designs I noticed the similarity between what he described and some of Webbers boards and wondered how much influence was taken from them particularly after Slater had been been riding a few of Webbers and Banksy's at what seems to be around the same time he came up with the idea

I've got one of Greg Webbers boards with the same bottom profile as the clip I put up the other day and my initial thought when I got it was that it was based off a reverse vee but I wasn't aware of too many other shapers putting in the vee double through the middle of the board like his (and Banks) designs. It's all good though, just part of the evolution of board design that's been going on for ever so we can all have a bit more fun on them. Cheers

I dont know if Kelly owns firewire completely or partly but HIS name sells stuff...

He could put it on toothpaste and it would rake in the $$$..lol

All designs are interesting, plenty of " claims" about who invented what first 2nd or third, it doesn't matter, the main objective is that people who ride whatever, have fun...

AS Fitzy says " all surfboards go, but some go better than others."..Now this is true BUT, what goes for me might not be to your liking and vice versa.

Back in the 60s,mcTavish put a full length double concave V on a board in the " STUBBY" era...it was around mid 67 to early 68

A friend( CoolCurlCruisers) had a full length V on his guns..mid 70s

A plain reverse V was around before TC won at Haliewa

A friend had a thruster cluster on a board he made in 1967.

Lots of experimental designs fall by the wayside.

Mark Rabbige showed me a standup board he designed and that he lent Curren at Jbay.The feedback from Tom was"it was the best design he had ridden"..I checked it out and it was a foam version of a spoon kneeboard( I owned one in the late 60s that McTavish made at Dales)...

Lots of shapers on the Earth but very few genuine designers ...Weber thinks outside the square(I have 2).

ALL good, have fun

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 3 May 2024 at 5:49pm

"Lots of shapers on the Earth but very few genuine designers ...Weber thinks outside the square"

Bit of an understatement

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Friday, 3 May 2024 at 6:16pm
Fliplid wrote:

"Lots of shapers on the Earth but very few genuine designers ...Weber thinks outside the square"

Bit of an understatement

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1qe4EtyAkB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igs...

Not an understatement, he just thinks of ideas and experiments

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Friday, 10 May 2024 at 6:42am

Taylor Jensen a sizeable guy who has fame from longboard comps.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 2:34pm

?si=koPI8gayJBGZImb2